Reliability catted dp vs catless, etc

LionofZion

:
2007 MazdaSpeed 3 GT
Hey guys, just looking for some feedback on my possible modding venture. Recently I got the warranty-covered turbo ventilation kit (along with new valve cover), and I'm pretty sure the warranty extension covers the turbo and timing chain issues for just under another year, so no big turbo plans in the immediate future for me.
I literally bought my car in a pinch, and like a lot about it, but have recently grown disappointed in the plethora of safety issues with just bolt ons. That being said, I had started planning/designing my business graphics for the car a while ago and since that's a lot of time and money there, I'll prob be driving it for some time. I'm looking for what mods I can do on a budget, and not risk any reliability issues.
Downpipes seem to be such a dynamic flow change that a hpfp upgrade/tune is absolutely necessary...but I also noticed that all those guys are running catless. Would an affordable catted dp(cnt) be much safer?
I've heard some guys say that a custom tune from a shop is sometimes safer than the stock tune, but prob would be all I could spend since I'd need an AP too...and don't know if there's a good local shop. I've heard drastically different stories on what a test pipe can add, and contemplated going that route with a hypertech. Im not wanting a hp monster(fwd fail) but around 330+ at the crank is just a little under 300 at the wheel and that would be more than enough for me, especially if I can do it at a reasonable price.
Yes, I've read a ton on this, but the established reliability difference between catted and catless downpipes is surprisingly not out there. Neither is the real dyno proof of just a test pipe. Thanks

There are many threads and posts here on this subject, including my own experience, for what it is worth. The views and silence may be a suggestion that some searching on your part would be in order.

Yes, catted vs catless is discussed. Going catted is not going to be demonstratively "safer.". The flow is way greater than stock with either. The difference is whether you can pass emission testing, not that one is safer than the other on stock tune and stock pump.

My view is that the dp/rp upgrade will void your warranty and you seem to be worried about that. You do need the pump upgrade. And, yes, unless you want to experience the potential risk from the boost spikes the dp/rp are likely to produce on stock tune, you will need a tune, at least Hypertech, which has worked well for me.

Last edited:
Yes I have read quite a bit of your posts (including the ongoing Cobb vs hypertech debate) and others regarding downpipes. I just have seen very little, if any, involving catted dp's. I'm assuming the price difference alone is why most go catless.
Ive seen some overly optimistic claims of 20hp for a couple test pipes. Although the second cat is pretty restrictive, I know that's not likely. I already have the cbe.... I know that's not near as much of a bottleneck as the two cats, but it may help with a test pipe? Would it be a better investment to go with a test pipe and upgraded tmic or a test pipe and tune?

If you need a cat in your state do it right and get a good catted dp w/ the aftermarket tp, pump interals and a tune. TP alone is only 5 whp. In combo with dp and safe tune can be as much as 30-35.

Back