Reduce the weight

MSP507

:
MAZDA, MS3, 2007
No idea which section to place this consultation. Addition to changing the hood and hatch, which other options are to reduce the weight of our MS3 2007??

I appreciate your comments

Directly dealing with the car you basically do lots of little changes to reduce weight dramatically. It really depends on what you're willing to get rid of to reduce weight. I think the backseat is like 20lbs, spare is probably 40 or something. There's really a lot of stuff to just get rid of

As for replacement of heavier for lighter components, there are carbon fiber front fenders, hood, hatch, tmic cover, instrument panel hood, interior trim. You can get lighter wheels, lug nuts.

You can also keep unneccesary junk out of your car, lose weight if you're overweight, travel around with less gas in the tank

I know there are some exotic cars that use lighter metals for all their nuts and bolts that can save lots of weight. I think audi, instead of increasing power output, decided to just lighten some of their models. One I think they dropped like 300lbs

There's a lot of stuff you can do. It you got the money to do it, it can be done

Since this part of the forum is about forced induction, I guess you could drop some weight by removing the turbocharger and its wastegate, the wastegate actuator, the wastegate solenoid, the bypass valve and related hoses, etc. and try using a stock exhaust manifold, if it would bolt up. Might get by with a single catalytic converter with that setup. And with no turbo, you could save some weight by removing that needless intercooler and all the related hoses and pipes and just plumb the intake straight into the intake manifold. ECU would have to be reprogrammed. Wouldn't have to carry around a Dash Hawk or AP or other tuner. Might save a few ounces that way too. Probably be better off to just drop in a N/A engine. But either way with no turbo you'd be down what? Maybe 100 horses?

Sorry for the hyperbole. But seriously, why put the post here, of all places? Forced induction section?

For what it is worth, perhaps the post should have gone in either the general section where it would be likely to get more attention and response or maybe the section about rims, tires, brakes and suspension, since most of the performance gains might come with lighter tires and wheels. Reducing unsprung weight has a very dramatic effect on improving performance. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Take out your rear wiper blade moter/ wiper for 30 ish

Back seat another 40ish

jack/spare another 30 ish to 40

All unecessary parts like tmic cover, battery cover, under tray...

Get some lighter wheels.

Take out subs in teh back

Take out paper in glove compartment lol

Also, take your change out your car cuz thats like 10 pounds

and then finally, your gonna wanna roll around with like half a take o gass.

good 100+ weight reduction right there and your back seat can always just be thrown back in like all the rest of the crap.

Its all unecassary tho because once your 200 pound frriend gets in the car its all back to normal.

Best options is to get more power and if your truly want to reduce weight.

Gut the s*** out of your interior and get a roll cage and harness and a bucket seat and also a bt and also a bigger wing and also some stickers and some rotas :)

Back