Recommend a JDM engine swap? Advice please.

Weborific

Hi, guys! It's time for me to have my engine replaced as I'm burning a lot of oil and have no compression. 2 pistons are leaking from the rings, the other 2 from the valves. After searching this site as I normally do, I'm no closer to deciding weather or not to go with a JDM engine. The fact that this site STILL doesn't support more than ONE word searching is giving me a headache. There are several questions I need answered before I make my decision, and not knowing a lot about engines, I'm counting on you guys to help me make the best decision. I really do appreciate it! Here we go!

I have 2 options for engines:

Option 1: Reputable source, used engine, 75000 Km, 1-year warranty, $1000 + ~$600 labour = $1600 before taxes.
Option 2: Reputable JDM source, used engine, 55000 Km, 3-month warranty, $550 + $350 labour = $900 before taxes.

A friend had a JDM engine installed this past summer in his Protege (not a P5) and is very happy with it. Anybody have a BAD experience? Here are some other questions I need answered. It would be nice to have all answers pertaining to JDM swaps in ONE post.

1) Does the JDM engine have better mileage than the North American engine?

2) Will the JDM engine have more HP? I've read that Our North American cars will not take advantage of the higher HP do to the JDM ECU being different. Is this true?

3) Will the harness be cut and spliced? What are the dissadvantages?

4) Will my mechanic still be able to plug a scanner to read any problem codes? I've read something about OBD2 being different in Japan... Is this true?

5) Will I have trouble finding any replacement parts or will everything be the same (alternator, O2 sensors, spark plugs, etc.)?

6) Would YOU swap for the JDM engine?

THANK YOU ALL FOR ANY ANSWERS YOU PROVIDE!! Please feel free to add any other pros/cons/oversights.

Latest posts

Back