**Recall**

CX-7owner

Banned
Mazda North American Operations has issued formal Recall Notices, "Emission Recall Campaigns," dated September 2007 for two serious Emissions System-related problems for the Mazda CX-7 (also 2007 MazdaSpeed3, and 2006-7 MazdaSpeed6). I received my notices in the mail today, October 1, 2007. Here are the two Recalls with explanations:

"September 2007...2007 CX-7, 2007 MAZDASPEED3, 2006-2007 MAZDASPEED6-Malfunction Indicator Light Illumination (DTC P2006)-Voluntary Emission Recall Campaign 4807H"

"Dear Mazda Owner: Mazda Motor Corporation has decided to conduct an Emission Recall Campaign to reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and replace the variable swirl shutter valve actuator on certain Mazda vehicles per the schedule below:"

2007 CX-7--Build Date Range of February 14,2006 through February 24, 2007
2007 Mazdaspeed3--Build Date Range of June 28, 2006 through February 3, 2007
2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6-Build Date Range of August 4, 2005 through February 24, 2007

"Your vehicle may be equipped with an improperly functioning on-board emissions-related diagnostic system that violates California standards and regulations."

"What is the problem?

Due to variety of friction (sic) between the variable swirl shutter valve and position switch, the shutter valve actuator may not be able to fully depress the position switch. This is especially true during cold ambient temperatures and will cause the malfunction indicator light (MIL or CEL) to illuminate with the DTC P2006 (variable swirl shutter valve stuck closed) stored in memory. Presence of this concern will not affect the operation of the shutter valve actuator."
(end of quoted copy...please read your personal copy of the Recall Notice if you're a CX-7 owner for full disclosure)

The bulletin goes on to explain that we are to make an appointment with our Mazda dealer and the dealer will fix the problem by replacing the valve, and reprogramming the PCM. "The repair should take about an hour to complete." the bulletin says.

The 2nd Recall Bulletin follows below:

"September 2007...2007 CX-7, 2007 MASDASPEED3, 2006 -2007 MAZDASPEED6 and 2006 Mazda6 2.3L OBD-II Compliance Voluntary Emission Recall Campaign 4907H"

"Dear Mazda Owner: Mazda Motor Corporation has decided to conduct an Emission Recall Campaign to reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on certain Mazda vehicles per the schedule below.

2007 CX-7--Build Date Range February 14, 2006 through April 28, 2007
2007 Mazdaspeed3--June 28, 2006 through May 31, 2007
2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6--August 4, 2005 through June 30, 2007
2006 Mazda6 2.3L 4-cylinder--June 6, 2005 through June 27, 2006

Your vehicle may be equipped with an improperly functioning on-board emission related diagnostic system that violates California standards and regulations.

If you are a recipient of this notice your vehicle is included in this recall.

What is the problem?

The monitor function used to detect Short Fuel Trim maximum threshold strategy is inoperative. Due to the lack of this monitor function, the OBD system is not capable of detecting the malfunction that causes the adaptive feedback control to be exceeded. In addition, it is possible that the malfunction may not be detected by any other OBD monitor function, therefore the MIL may not illuminate. Consequently, the vehicle operator would not be advised about the malfunction."

The notice continues to advise you to make an appointment with your Mazda dealer who will perform an additional PCM recalibration free of charge, and that it will take about half an hour to complete.

Of special importance to California, Massachusetts, and Vermont Mazda owners is this fact: certification of the above Recalls is required prior to registration renewal! "Mazda dealers will provide a Vehicle Emission Recall-Proof of Correction Certificate upon completion of the Recalls. Be sure to keep the proof of correction provided by your Mazda dealer until it's needed for registration!

Last edited:
this is a brand new recall. make sure to allow yourself MORE TIME at the dealer...besides, they'll put you in a rental (as long as you havn't exceeded the warranty by time or mileage).

**** man. I haven't even gone in for the motor mount yet. Since my car is lowered, will they give me s*** and void the warranty? (I also have aftermarket intake and bov). perhaps that's the reason why my CEL is on, and that I can't detect the problem even with 3 different OBDII reader.

will they claim that since my car is lowered, it affected the motor mount with the "vibration" and also the CEL is the result of the intake?

Yeah, I read up on that, if they do say that the vibration caused the mount to fail, which is pure BS, just lawyer up. And again I don't see how the intake brought on the CEL, what kind is it?

Dropped my car off this morning to take care of both recalls (2006 MS6). They said it would take about 2 hours for that plus an oil change. I grabbed a loaner so I could go to work.

Thanks for reminding me about the certificate. Since I'm in Massachusetts I'll have to squirrel that away until March when I have to re-register the car. I hope this doesn't mean I have to go into the RMV to register this year.

Yeah, I read up on that, if they do say that the vibration caused the mount to fail, which is pure BS, just lawyer up. And again I don't see how the intake brought on the CEL, what kind is it?

The intake I think it's APC intake, which is a SR for the WRX. It fits perfectly and sounds pretty good.

Dropped my car off this morning to take care of both recalls (2006 MS6). They said it would take about 2 hours for that plus an oil change. I grabbed a loaner so I could go to work.

Thanks for reminding me about the certificate. Since I'm in Massachusetts I'll have to squirrel that away until March when I have to re-register the car. I hope this doesn't mean I have to go into the RMV to register this year.

Notice any difference in the car after the recalls were done?

Mine is scheduled to go in next Tuesday.

No difference. Car feels fine around town. I did a 4th gear pull merging on the highway this morning and she made me smile.

Since new my CX7 has had black sooty exhaust pipe tips inside. The dealer said this is due to it running rich which is normal. Proabably part of the reason a CX7 doesn't get that great of gas mileage. So I ask all of you-Could the recall be addressing this? Is that sooty exhaust what's violating California Clean Air law and requiring the recall? Once the recall is done, will I see less sooty exhaust tips and maybe better gas mileage?

My sooty tail pipe issue went away after about a month or so of driving the car. It seem to learn my driving habits I guess.

They still have mine, and I have a craptastic base Mazda three, but it is relatively new.

Just to add, It gets 13MPG, and I'm beating the s*** out of it.

Last edited:
I took mine in for the recall. They fixed the PCM, but said the actuator is on order and won't come in for a week. Will there be an issue if the actuator is put in a week after the PCM update? I suppose I can leave the car there, but I'd rather not be stuck with a base rental.

I took my roomate's speed 6 in because he needed my cx-7 for work the day i had scheduled my fix.

I was lucky, they gave out their last Mazda minivan loaner just before I got there. I ended up with a VW Passat. Leather seats in a loaner... i wasn't complaining. Though it just didn't seem as well put together as our Mazdas.

I've had the recall done and it doesn't feel any different to me. I noticed the black soot gone after a previous service....so maybe there was an update that changed the 'richness'.

Back