Rebuilding Protege5 motor

Fasian

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys Im about to tear down my Fsde motor to give it an ov everhaul. Ive been researching parts and I noticed a lot of ppl remomend buying the full rebuild kits. These kits come with gaskets, rings, pistons, main and rod bearings etc. Im rebuilding it because its burning oil and also a little coolant. I didnt spin any bearings or starve anything of oil. My question is how can so many ppl use these kits if they dont let you choose a bearing size. Are ppl just using standard size for everything given that there is no damage.

...Are ppl just using standard size for everything given that there is no damage.

Pretty much. that's usually a later thing to be damaged and takes less damage (the soft bearing is sacrificial).

Or, since these cars are cheapish and tend to be rebuilt cheaply people don't check and/or don't care about super precision fit.

Your best not getting your BE bearings etc till you've measured etc Otherwise you can end up with your engine being outside of the factory tolerances or poor tolerances.

The gasket kit is a good idea though :)

Back