Rear suspension noises on the 08

Well, I finally took my 5 in to the dealer for a service and had them look at my 08 suspension noise. The problem I knew they would have was that it only happens under load (two people in the back).

The service manager said they tightened up the rear sway bar, then loaded two techs in the back and drove it around and heard nothing. We haven't had the need to use the rear seat since so I don't know whether that fixed it.

We'll see....

My 5 has the same noise but I don't recall when it was new.

Could adding a air bags cause the problem?

The noise you're talking about; Does it sound like knocking when you hit a bump or small pot hole? I hear it weather I'm driving fast or slow......

As what Antonio DiMarco had done, I too took my 5 to the dealer (Hall Mazda) and the service manager (Greg) told me that the original bushings were made of polyurethane which was the source of the rubbing/squeking sound on humps. They changed them out with rubber bushings and the humps never felt better.

islandreamer/07MZ5SA, thanks for the info. Islanddreamer...... I'll drop by and talk to "Greg" I live just around from Hall off S Plaza Trail.............. What year is your 5?

OH NO!

I said touchwood some times ago around 3000 km.
Now my car has slicely 8500 km. Time for a service A...

Wait, i also hear this crap now...

The more people in the car, the more noise it makes. You will hear every bumps you go over at least, or steep driveway entrance.

So is this bushing defects or rear blown shocks? Both side is making noise...

OH NO!

The more people in the car, the more noise it makes. You will hear every bumps you go over at least, or steep driveway entrance.

I bet right rear shock....

OH NO!

I think it's normal, and probably nothing to worry about. Plus, when you bring it to dealer, all they will say is, "we did not hear any noise when we test drove the car, and we tightened all of your suspension parts, and checked for worn or loose bushings." Had this quoted to me before.

Just like when I took it in last week for oil change. I asked them to fix 2 things. Vibration and condensation inside rear tail light. No condensation because weather outside did not create it, plus they will not replace if there is condensation, but will replace if it is collecting water in the bottom, and no vibration when they test drove it. When I asked them, they admitted that they didn't even take the car on the highway. It's hopeless. I'll just live with it.

As what Antonio DiMarco had done, I too took my 5 to the dealer (Hall Mazda) and the service manager (Greg) told me that the original bushings were made of polyurethane which was the source of the rubbing/squeking sound on humps. They changed them out with rubber bushings and the humps never felt better.

No doubt rubber bushings will be quieter but does it affect handling?

What bushing did the dealer replace?

So, we finally had 2 adults in the back after I took it in for service and reported the problem. Still have the same noise issue coming from the rear passenger side. It almost sounds like a loose muffler hangar or something, but the muffler isn't on that side of the car.

I'll have to get two people from the dealer in the back to ride around with me so they can hear it. It will be the only way for them to acknowledge the issue. I don't feel that it's safety related but you still shouldn't have weird, pretty loud noises coming from the suspension of your 2008 car.

Here are Mazda OEM numbers for the bushings:

Got in the mail that the recall / TSB parts arrived so I performed the following under warranty. Please note that I did not request to perform these, but during the regular service the service manager indicated that Mazda is encouraging service shops to perform them due to Mazda liabilities and crap. Anyway, not a big thing, managed to see the 2009 Mazda6 and after 2hrs I was out :D

Sliding door-latches (that could freeze);
C2Y5-73-300 (latch, door)

Squeaky rear suspension:
C243-28-156C (Bush, Stabi)
BP4-28-012A (Sheet, rub)

No bad sounds from my 08 (after having a sliding door fixed) and it was a rental for first 15,000miles of its life.

Left side sliding door was sitting down too low and the guide wheel? was scraping along the top guide rail. At the same time, I was getting a fairly loud rattle from the same area. I didn't have much hope in getting the rattle fixed and would have been satisfied with just the door alignment being fixed. In the end they managed to fix the door and completely eliminate the rattle.

If there is a tendency for the front sway bars to squeak, I expect that will happen as my 2000 protege was bad for that. They would replace or lubricate the bushings to temporarily solve it.

For something similar that might cause a problem in the front end, my Acura EL (Civic) developed a rattle when hitting bumps at low speed. New sway bar links, and the front end was totally silent again.

I hate noises, so I expect to be noticing them more and more. And once the really cold weather of -10 to -40 gets here, I'm sure the vehicle will sound like an old wagon.

I looked at that tsb for the suspension noise. And my car's MAZDA5 2006 is not within the range of Serial numbers affected.

The TSB would have included replacement of various suspension components..
not just bushings.

I brought it to the MAZDA dealer anyway, and they looked and they said the TSB for the cars the have sold was to replace stabilizer bar bushings for front and back. I checked and yes. they did replace the bushings.

My question is was there a later TSB issued for 'bushings' only?

It was -4 celcius this morning and I did not hear a crunching sound. I Will monitor as the days go by.

It sounds like broken rubber on a A-arm bushing (metal to metal).

Took the car to the dealer in Va Beach on Saturday, they looked and found no metal to metal, all bushings look good, none missing or broken..........

I took the two part numbers in that are in this index from "coolmazda5", Squeaky rear suspension: C243-28-156C (Bush, Stabi), BP4-28-012A (Sheet, rub), neither of those needed to be replaced...........

I took the car to the auto hobby shop yesterday and took a look at all the bushings; I tightened everything connected to the suspension. On the way home I didn't hear the knocks as much, but there still there.

I couldn't believe all the bushings on the "5"; I've never seen that many on a car before. I guessing that with all the bushings working together you might get a noise from just the bushings creating the sound. I've looked and can not duplicate the noise with the car on the rack and nothing looks worn or broken, so I'm going to keep an eye out and I'll let you know if I find something. Couple of you mentioned shocks, all of those are good, I even took the back right side off just to check........ no problem there.

Pls let me know if anyone comes up with any more part numbers to check. I have the two diagrams (front and back) for the suspension, I'm going to scan those in and I'll include them in my next post.

Had mine at the dealer the other day for some other warantee work. Mentioned the rear making a little noise, and they replaced the sway-bar bushings, no questions asked. Sounds better now!

Had mine at the dealer the other day for some other warantee work. Mentioned the rear making a little noise, and they replaced the sway-bar bushings, no questions asked. Sounds better now!

I am in the same boat too. I will post the results when i get it back..they didn't have the part in stock.. so they gave me a Mazda6 loaner.

I continue to have the same problem on my 07. The dealer looked at it once, but hasn't been able to solve the problem. I still need to talk to them about it again. Mine comes from the right-rear. Has anyone found the cause of this?

I have the same problem on my 07 as well. Same as yours, right-rear.

thread revival. Just went through about a month's worth of diagnoses and dealer visits to track down the clunking noise. First they replaced the bushings in the front - noise gets better but still there. Then they replace the rear bushings, said the right rear was bad, but noise continues. They say the shocks look okay and are not leaking fluid. They can't find anything wrong with the rear suspension and try retorquing the suspension bolts. Finally they ask me to just leave the car there and they give me a loaner 6. I got a call today - they think it's the left rear shock, because they switched the shocks and the noise moved to the right side. They're puzzled because there is no leaking fluid or anything.

I'm hoping this'll end it, but the part's on order, so we probably won't get our 5 back for another two days.

Back