Rear Rotor Removal???

MRTURBO

Hi,

I bought some new pads and rotors for my 2007 Speed6. How do I get the rear rotors off? I drilled out those screw looking things because they are really not necessary but they still seem to be stuck on. There is not a lot of room to get in there and whack the rotors with a hammer as the dust shield is surrounding almost the entire rotor.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys,

Mark

Gear puller? Maybe a little heat & a deadblow hammer? Those screws aren't necessary, just beat it loose with something that won't damage anything. You may want to rotate and tap the rotor until it breaks free.

Gear puller? Maybe a little heat & a deadblow hammer? Those screws aren't necessary, just beat it loose with something that won't damage anything. You may want to rotate and tap the rotor until it breaks free.

Yeah, I guess there is no real trick to it, just gotta keep hitting it with something. They are so stuck it's not even funny.

Thanks

Spray some rust penetrant of your choice around the hub and allow it to do its job. Might also be a good idea to spray it into the holes where the wheel studs come through. Then using a deadblow hammer or rubber mallet (or a regular hammer with a piece of wood on the rotor), divide the face of the rotor into four quadrants and alternate hitting in each quadrant (use an X pattern, top, bottom, side, side). You don't have to hit it hard, just steadily back and forth until it loosens up.

Well the gear puller was no use...I think it's the type I bought as I couldn't seem to get the teeth to grip very well.

In the end I sprayed some penetrating oil around the hub and into the lug holes. Then I took one of the 14mm bolts that holds the caliper on and threaded it into the threaded hole in the rotor. Eventually I heard a loud pop and the rotor was off.

Thanks guys!

Well the gear puller was no use...I think it's the type I bought as I couldn't seem to get the teeth to grip very well.

In the end I sprayed some penetrating oil around the hub and into the lug holes. Then I took one of the 14mm bolts that holds the caliper on and threaded it into the threaded hole in the rotor. Eventually I heard a loud pop and the rotor was off.

Thanks guys!

Bingo!!!!! sorry I got to the thread too late but thats how you are supposed to do it....

Back