Rear main leaking..

GermanMP3

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
I am at 203,000 miles and I just noticed a leak coming out between the trans and the engine. I am planning on pulling the trans to see for sure its the rear main or the front trans seal. I have ordered a clutch set along with the alignment tool and both seals. Is there any problems with the flywheel that I should know? I am curious if it is common for the flywheel to crack, things like that.

i pulled a stock clutch & flywheel at 153,000 miles when i put the fs-ze in the mp3 i bought for my g/f & re-used it all. clutch was in great shape as well as the flywheel. it really depends on how the car has been driven, if the cars been modified and driven hard, there is possibilities you may have issues but that should be apparent right now.

-do you hear loud noise coming from the trans w/ clutch in w/ clutch out?

-in gear while accelerating or changing gears?

-problems starting the vehicle? excessive cranking or intermittent no-starts?

if none of the above the flywheel is probably fine, take a picture and post it if you like and ill tell you wether or not you should probly replace it

flywheel is 6 bolts. just find a way to stop it from turning and take it off. its that simple.

my rear main seal is leaking also and it was just replaced. make sure to keep the seal clean and not break it as im not sure what i did wrong.

04spoondc5 I do not have any weird noises or anything just a small leak from either the rear main or the trans front seal. I live in Germany and I mail order all my parts. I just wanted to be sure I had all the parts I needed before I was in the middle of the job and would have to wait for 2 weeks or better to get the one part I forgot. I went ahead and ordered a new flywheel as I am not having luck finding a place to turn my flywheel..

Back