Rear Climate Control Problem

Cant seem to get the air to blow through the rear vent console when I select the rear control button from the front seat? When I select body and not feet, the air still comes through the feet only vents in the second row. Front works as it should. Am I doing something wrong? Could the hose be disconnected from the factory?

Vision1994

Hi, I am having the same problem - no air coming out of the top vents at the back of the center console to the 2nd row, only the vent near the floor has air coming out.

If anyone has experienced the same problem or has any advice, please let us know. Thanks.

The Owner's Manual (pages 6-12 to 6-16) are not very clear about exactly how the airflow is controlled. In the manual mode it seems that the airflow is controlled by the front settings. In automatic mode it doesn't really say.

Just a guess, when it's producing heat it will be from the bottom vents (heat rises) and when it's A/C it will be from the top.

My daughters CX-9 is not here now but I can read the OWNERS MANUAL!!

It is working as designed. See the last sentence on page 6-15.

Is the design lousy?? Definitely YES!!!!!

The Owner's Manual (pages 6-12 to 6-16) are not very clear about exactly how the airflow is controlled. In the manual mode it seems that the airflow is controlled by the front settings. In automatic mode it doesn't really say.

Just a guess, when it's producing heat it will be from the bottom vents (heat rises) and when it's A/C it will be from the top.

+1, when you set to auto mode in winter, the airflow only go to the feet.. sometimes it also combines with the windshield.. if you want hot air blow to your face, you need to manually set it.... I am pretty sure the 2nd row vents follow whatever the 1st row blows...

Now that winter is blowing in, I'll have to try and remember how to use the manual settings again. Got real spoiled just setting the temp and letting the computer do the work. Sometimes when I miss using the dials and slides I drive one of our older cars. If I want it warmer, I just turn the dial or push the slide into the "red" zone. Cooler? Push back to the blue side. Need more fan? Just turn the nob a few clicks to the right. I guess that's what they mean by "simple pleasures for simple minds"...;)

Last edited:
Is the system designed to do this? I can't get hot air to blow out of the top rear vents at all. Hot air always blows from the bottom no matter what settings I choice. On the other hand cold air only comes out of the top rear vents not bottom... I wonder if this is an issue?

To get air from the top vents of the rear air ... you have to have the "mode" on the main system... showing or flowing to the "face" and or face and feet area...

"Selecting the Airflow Mode
For vehicles with rear full-auto air conditioning, the airflow mode can be selected
according to the purpose of use.
Instrument panel and or Vents Floor Vents "

To get air from the top vents of the rear air ... you have to have the "mode" on the main system... showing or flowing to the "face" and or face and feet area...

"Selecting the Airflow Mode
For vehicles with rear full-auto air conditioning, the airflow mode can be selected
according to the purpose of use.
Instrument panel and or Vents Floor Vents "

The face is selected in the front via the mode button. Yet the hot air in the rear only comes from the bottom.

I just got my CX-9 and having the same problem. Has anyone figured this out yet?

I read the manual, but it is very confusing. I set the Mode to the face setting, cranked up the fan, but still no air coming out of the rear upper vents (just bottom).

Hot air only comes out of the bottom vents and cold air from the top.

Agree, I was told this when the service guy did a run through of the vehicle before I took delivery. He said many people come back with this question so they try to tell everyone in advance.

Latest posts

Back