Rear camera switch

Esacfrank

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-9
Hi:
I have a '14 cx-9 gt and want to know if anyone knows if the rear camera can be turned on while driving. I also belong to an outback forum and some there has put a switch on the camera in his outback. The only problem is the backup lights come on when he turns on the camera.
Frank

I was actually thinking of asking the same thing, it'd be useful at times especially towing to see what's going on back there.

My thoughts as well. I guess i'll take a look at the shop manual to see if there is a good wiring diagram there.

were you able to find anything on this? I have just about exhausted the internet on this same thing.

were you able to find anything on this? I have just about exhausted the internet on this same thing.

I thought someone on Club Lexus did this a few years ago. You might want to search there, in the IS 2nd Generation forum.

You need to look at the wiring diagram of CX9.
You can trigger the backup signal wire (fed into the display unit) to take video inputs from camera.
However, camera drains power from backup signal circuit (likely so).
That explains why the backup light will have to be on also...

Would also think that the lights activating would be a helpful thing when towing and at night as it would allow you to see trailer and hook up after dark.
Could always put a sign on the back of the CX-9 that says 'When lights are on smile for the camera" :)

You need to look at the wiring diagram of CX9.
You can trigger the backup signal wire (fed into the display unit) to take video inputs from camera.
However, camera drains power from backup signal circuit (likely so).
That explains why the backup light will have to be on also...

I'd also like info on this. It would be good for parking too as I sometimes put the car in reverse just to see if I'm lined up OK.

While we're on the topic of wishful thinking anyone yet figure out how to trick the nav system to allow use while in motion (by passenger).

I bought a shop manual on cd/dvd and am slogging through it looking for a traditional wiring diagram. The amount of information is staggering but their wiring diagrams. so far, seem to just have the component shown as a box with connectors coming out to a connector. Also the camera is in the entertainment section. I know where the camera is located and it appears I have to remove the inner panel on the rear door to access any wiring. I'm not sure if the effort is worth it to me right now, maybe when the car is 5+ years old I will play around with it but not right now.
I'm going to try and attach the 'wiring diagram' to show what I'm talking about. Hmm going to have to figure that out first. I'll post when I know how to attach.

let's try this
ScreenShot2014-04-13at100240AM.png

So it looks like the wire to switch is on the back of the audio unit on the dash. Can't identify which one yet but certainly possible. The Lexus site someone mentioned was very helpful.
I have to look around and see how difficult it is to remove the radio.

On the 2013 CX-9, you can enter diagnostic mode by pushing the power button and seek-up at the same time. Then enter code 92 which turns on the rear camera. Not as clean as a switch, but a hell of a lot easier.

All these tips and how-tos can be found in Mazda WorkShop manual.
If anyone is really interested....

I would think you could wire up a 12 volt relay to accomplish triggering backup camera mode with a switch, while still allowing it to work when the switch is off and the car is shifted into reverse. Disclaimer: It's been a while since I wired up a relay, but if I remember correctly how they work, this should do the trick. Try this at your own risk.

Reverse_zps254bc851-1.jpg~original

Relay's work like a switch with a trigger to turn power on and off. There's also a pin to allow current to pass through even when the relay is off.

To provide the relay what it needs to function, you need to give it power and ground. You'd locate a 12 volt source that turns off with the car (so you're not powering the relay when the car is off). I'd probably use the power from a lighter plug that cuts off when the car is off. (On my CX-9, the dash plug turns off with the car, but the center console one stays on all the time). You could use the ground from the lighter plug as well. Connect the 12 volt power to pin 86 and the ground to pin 87. On one of these two wires is where you'll put your switch to toggle the camera. Personally, I'd probably do the 12 volt wire. Once those two are connected, you'll hear the relay click on and off when you toggle the switch.

Locate the reverse trigger wire running to the radio and cut it. You'll connect the side going to the radio to the relay pin 30 (output). The other side of that wire would connect to pin 87a (in the middle) which will allow the reverse signal to pass through as it normally would when you shift the car into reverse.

That leaves you with one pin left which you'll use to provide the alternate source to tell the radio that it should be in reverse mode when the car isn't in reverse. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF TRIGGER IT IS LOOKING FOR. It could be 12 volts. It could be ground. It could be 6 volts (my radio puts out 6v for the backup camera). Use a multimeter to locate the wire (I can't tell which it is from the diagram above). Whatever that current is, you'd get that from somewhere to provide the trigger source for the radio when your new switch is on which will activate the relay to tell the radio to switch to reverse input mode. If the radio is looking for 12 volts, you could use the same power from the lighter plug by connecting 86 & 87 together. If reverse mode on the radio is triggered by ground, you could connect 85 & 87 together. If it's looking for anything other than 12 volts or ground, you're on your own.

I haven't done this myself on this car, but once you have that wired up, I think it would probably work.

Anyone have any thoughts on this approach?

This leaves one more issue to solve.
How do you supply current to the camera?
It is likely not always on.
You probably will see a blank screen.

If the factory radio isn't putting out 6 volts whenever the radio is on, I'm sure it will start putting it out when you put the car in reverse. I know the 6 volts was being put out without the camera connected. I'm pretty sure I tested the line with the car on, but without my CX-9 being in reverse, but I can't say with 100% certainty. Either way, the camera should be getting power when you need it. I installed an aftermarket camera 12 volt to my factory headunit (as outlined in another recent post I made in this forum). The camera needs to be powered up when the car starts (while the radio is initializing) and whenever it is in reverse. I just powered my camera off of the dash lighter plug (the reverse light was not an adequate solution because of the need to be powered while initializing).

Back