Rear brake pads require He-Man.

:
Indiana
:
2017 CX-5
Does anyone remember He-Man? He was my hero.

I just replaced the front pads w/ Hawk pads. I tried to replace the back pads but I could push the wretched piston in. I used a 6 inch C-clamp that would crush my skull. I thought it might be stuck or something.
Later I talked to a friend and he says that you have to screw the piston in. Is this true?

lol....ohh man i just pictured someone pushin on a door that said pull...lol i dunno why sorry ive done that b4

lol....ohh man i just pictured someone pushin on a door that said pull...lol i dunno why sorry ive done that b4
LOL......I'm glad my whole neighborhood was able to watch me jack up the back of my car, spend forever trying to push the piston back with a 3 inch C-clamp, leave to Ace hardware, spend 12 bucks on a 6 inch C-clamp, spend another eternity on the piston again, finally put the old bads back on and put the tires on......having accomplished nothing.

I love it!

davco said:
LOL......I'm glad my whole neighborhood was able to watch me jack up the back of my car, spend forever trying to push the piston back with a 3 inch C-clamp, leave to Ace hardware, spend 12 bucks on a 6 inch C-clamp, spend another eternity on the piston again, finally put the old bads back on and put the tires on......having accomplished nothing.

I love it!
Because there is an e-brake attached, almost all (hell all the cars I've done) require that you screw the rear piston in.

Oh, and you know that all auto parts stores will rent to you a disc brake piston kit for the front wheels to squeeze them in. Pretty much a fancy c-clamp, but just in case y'all dont have one. Buying one isnt bad either, about $60. If you do your friend's cars, it's worth it.

Search for "rear brake piston" or "rear brake pads"

This is me on another thread:

cbcbd said:
Yeah, use the search next time..
But basically, you need to use the allen screw to pull the piston.

Behind the rear caliper there is a bolt (14mm I believe). Take off the bolt and under it there is a key that is turned with an allen wrench. Clockwise pushes the piston forward, counter pulls it in.

Last edited:
This the only right answer. How come everyone has over looked it??

Yes, there is a allen screw on the back of the caliper that needs to be backed off before the caliper can be pushed in. Do the search and you should find the correct tightening specs.

rustychops41 said:
There's an allen screw on the back of the caliper for this purpose.

SilverproES said:
This the only right answer. How come everyone has over looked it??

Yes, there is a allen screw on the back of the caliper that needs to be backed off before the caliper can be pushed in. Do the search and you should find the correct tightening specs.
You're right, he was correct. But his answer was incomplete and you'll have the boy looking for an allen screw on the back of the caliper for hours, because he never mentioned it was hidden by a bolt - when I first did it it took me a while because people were just saying "undo the allen screw".

There are no tightening specs for the allen screw becuase it's not really a screw. It's a key that is not attached, that's why there is a bolt covering it, so it won't fall out.

But when you have put the brake pads on, tighten the piston so the pads just touch the rotor and then back up the piston with a 1/3 turn of the allen key.

Last edited:
davco said:

I love it!
hahahah....yesterday i had a vaca day and spent about an hour and a half trying to get my g/f's oil filter off her new jetta. such a tight area and they had the filter on way to tight. went to auto-zone twice trying to get the correct size filter wrench (germans have an strange size filter end) and did not really have enough room to get the strap wrench in there. got to the point where i had the filter crushed trying to turn it and it would not budge.....finally it came loose. that will not happen again....pissed me off that they crank those things on so tight.....

my neighbors love seeing me work on my car.....i can see what happened to you with the rear brakes....

Back