Rear Brake Hose Replacement

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey everyone,

I did some routine maintenance on my car yesterday afternoon and noticed there is a leak in the left-rear brake hose. Do you all know of any tutorials or threads where people have given advice on how to swap a brake line/hose, more specifically the rear one? The hose is super cheap, but I am inexperienced with brake lines and don't want to end up spraying brake fluid everywhere or getting air in the brake line. Is it a pretty tough job to complete?

Any guidance is appreciated! (yes)

You will get air into the brake line no matter what you do - you're removing the line completely. Its very simple, just a fitting at each end and bleed the brakes. I'm sure you could find a video on brake bleeding on youtube.

Air in your brake lines is unavoidable in most cases but you are doing a whole line . if you are worried about getting fluid everywhere just park the car where you are doing the repair and drain the fluid its more than likely all going to come out when you crack the fitting anyway. Bleeding brakes is easy if you have two people just crack the bleeder and have another person step on the pedal, some fluid will come out with bubbles probably when the fluid stops close the bleeder and have your buddy take his foot of the break repeat till you see no bubbles and move on to the next brake. You might have to add some fluid as you go buy its pretty easy even I can do it.

The fittings at the end of the hose can be a big PITA ... They like to rust and seize.

It can help a lot to cut the hose off right at the fitting so you can put a six point socket on it.

These can help too.

Thanks for all the info gang. I am inexperienced with brake maintenance other than swapping the rotors and brake pads. I might force myself to learn this process because the dealership wants to charge me almost $300 total to swap out one brake line. I'm sorry but that sounds like just plain being taken advantage of.

Should I bleed all 4 wheels even though I am only swapping the hose on the rear driver side tire? I may end up purchasing those speed bleeders to help with the whole process. Has anyone here used those?

Lastly, I replaced the front rotors on my car because the dealership said they were warped and were causing this pulsing feeling or thump, thump, thump feeling when slowing down to a near stop. Well I did that and it never really fixed the issue. Could it be that this leak caused air to get in the brake lines and is causing the thumping feeling when slowing down to a near stop?

Should I bleed all 4 wheels even though I am only swapping the hose on the rear driver side tire?

It's a good idea to flush your brake fluid anyway... It gets old and takes on moisture... Don't forget to do your clutch...

Back