Rear Backup Sensors- std. on 2013, wish I had them on my 2012!

IgoZoom

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD, Crystal White Pearl, Bose/Moonroof
When I bought my 2012 CX-9 GT, the only feature I missed from my previous two SUVs was the Rear Backup Sensors. The Backup Camera is nice, but I can't judge distance with it very well. I miss my increasingly frequent beeps as I get closer to an object to help me back up in tight situations.

For 2013, the Rear Backup Sensors are standard on CX-9 Touring and Grand Touring models! Mazda is also offering them as a dealer-installed accessory on the 2014 Mazda6, I wish they would do the same for my 2012 CX-9...wishful thinking, I know. Actually, if they were to offer it as a dealer-installed option on the CX-9 Sport, I wonder if it might also fit my 2012?

DIY.
$20 parts on eBay, 2 HRs of labor on weekend.
Did that to two of my vehicles before.

I had no idea they were that cheap. I thought Back Up Sensors were a bit redundant with a camera but the Honda Odyssey Touring Elite has the same setup as well. I take it that they are handy if you are not looking at the screen in case your are watching the front while parallel parking.

I'll tell you that I have gone back and forth on this. We have both a 2012 Touring with tech and a 2013 Touring with tech. My wife's 2012 doesn't have the sensors, only the screen, and I thought that was fine. Then I got my 2013 and realize how much I use the sensors, and I decided the sensors were the greatest thing in the world. Then, I started getting "false positives" - beeps when there is nothing in the way. It's bad enough that sometimes I ignore the beeps or even turn the beeps off because they are no help at all. Envy them if you wish, but you might not be satisfied if you had them.

Did you have unnecessary beeps in your other SUVs that had the sensors?

Yes.
The 1st set I got for my Odyssey did that a lot.
The 2nd set I got on our current Prius is very reliable (after 7 years!).
Both from Hong Kong eBayers (definitely both made in China).

I would advise against painted ones. My 1st one was painted silver. My 2nd set is generic black.
The only logical conclusion I can make.
They said, painted one develops air bubble over time, and echoes back the ultrasound wave, causing false alarms.

I'll tell you that I have gone back and forth on this. We have both a 2012 Touring with tech and a 2013 Touring with tech. My wife's 2012 doesn't have the sensors, only the screen, and I thought that was fine. Then I got my 2013 and realize how much I use the sensors, and I decided the sensors were the greatest thing in the world. Then, I started getting "false positives" - beeps when there is nothing in the way. It's bad enough that sometimes I ignore the beeps or even turn the beeps off because they are no help at all. Envy them if you wish, but you might not be satisfied if you had them.

Did you have unnecessary beeps in your other SUVs that had the sensors?

Prior to my 2012 CX-9 GT, I had a 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer and a 2003 Explorer XLT. Both of the Explorers had the backup sensors and they worked flawlessly! They were about the ONLY thing that worked correctly on the 2007!!!

The rear bumper (and the sensors) were higher on the Explorer, so that might have something to do with it??? Ford used four sensors, but they were narrowly located on the rear bumper within the width of the rear hatch. Mazda places the two outer sensors almost on the corner of the rear bumper. They appear (in photos) to be mounted on a slightly curved part of the bumper, which might be part of the problem. It could be picking up objects that aren't directly in the path of the rear bumper, which would render the system less than useful....

Okay, I'm officially pissed now (at myself, mostly)...

I drove my grandmother to a doctor appointment this morning (I drew the short straw). The parking lot is tight and my grandmother was not in a great mood after the long wait and painful procedure performed by the doctor. She is 93, a bit senile and loves to complain constantly under the best of circumstances. Long story short, by the time I got her back in the car, belted in and wrestled her wheelchair into the back, I had to fish out my stash of 'emergency' Valium from the console! Nana was bickering about something (I tune her out, it could've been about high gas prices, the color of bird sh!t on the windshield or how much she wanted to get home to watch the Jimmy Swaggart Channel).....

I was backing out of my parking spot and, to be honest, I was so distracted and flustered that I forgot that I even had a backup camera! I used my rearview mirror and backed up VERY slowly and just as I was pressing the brake firmly and almost completely stopped, BUMP! I couldn't see the tiny Mercedes SLK (older model) in the parking space and I gave it a slight tap. Thank God, neither car had any damage! I spent the next 20 minutes getting a lecture for the entire drive back to her house. It wasn't about driving, but apparently I said a certain word very loudly when I tapped the other car (rhymes with DUCK)! (naughty) But it could have been a lot worse, I usually say something else when I'm mad or freaked out and it breaks a Commandment!

Backup sensors would have prevented this whole nightmare!!!

When I bought my 2012 CX-9 GT, the only feature I missed from my previous two SUVs was the Rear Backup Sensors. The Backup Camera is nice, but I can't judge distance with it very well. I miss my increasingly frequent beeps as I get closer to an object to help me back up in tight situations.

For 2013, the Rear Backup Sensors are standard on CX-9 Touring and Grand Touring models! Mazda is also offering them as a dealer-installed accessory on the 2014 Mazda6, I wish they would do the same for my 2012 CX-9...wishful thinking, I know. Actually, if they were to offer it as a dealer-installed option on the CX-9 Sport, I wonder if it might also fit my 2012?

I also have a 2012 and I just bought a 2014 cx-5 with them.... Im wonderering how I would add these seeing as my cx-9 has the 7" navigation/backup camera

I also have a 2012 and I just bought a 2014 cx-5 with them.... Im wonderering how I would add these seeing as my cx-9 has the 7" navigation/backup camera

I may be missing something here, but what does the navigation display have to do with the backup sensors? The backup sensors have always been a separate, independent system from everything else in my previous vehicles....

I may be missing something here, but what does the navigation display have to do with the backup sensors? The backup sensors have always been a separate, independent system from everything else in my previous vehicles....

I meant if they can be incorporated with the red yellow and green lines on the reverse camera...

Latest posts

Back