Really Need Help With EGR Valve Fitting

APutvinskiMP5

zoom-zoom
:
2003 Mazda Protege5
While taking off my old exhaust manifold to put in a new header I had to undo the EGR valve fitting bolt. Connecting the bolt and the exhaust manifold is a single independent thread. While loosening the egr valve bolt the thread stuck to the bolt and came out of the exhaust manifold. The thread is stuck to the bolt and I cant install the headers with it in the way. After vice grips on the thread and a crescent wrench on the bolt, lots of pb blaster and lots of force the thread still wont budge. I could bring it to a shop but I'm worried of driving my car there without the bolt on. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
0811091339_01.jpg

Last edited:
OOO, you're saying the threaded nipple part of the exh manifold unscrewed out of the manifold instead of the big nut on the tube going to the egr unscrewing off the threaded nipple? If so, I didn't know that was possible. I would get some help & put some sort of cheater bar on 1 side & somehow get some more leverage on the threaded part. If it is supposed to unthread from the exh manifold then **** it, destroy it cause you won't need it on the header if it already has one. The other thing that may help would be to heat up the nut side so it may expand a bit allowing it to release the threaded part. Had no issue like this with mine. Usually you just have to make sure to connect the pipe to the header before tightening the header to the motor to ensure you don't strip the nipple on the header. Good luck with all this, just keep trying different things to win............

thanks i like the heating idea, any idea for about how long should i heat the bolt for. my friend and i have tried around a minute each time but still no dice.

would anything be damaged if i drove to a shop without the egr hooked up until i get there?
thanks in advance

Last edited:
worse case scenario... replace the egr pipe

you can try cutting a slot in the part that needs removed and stick a screwdriver in it to break it free

The other thing you're gonna have to worry about is the threads on that nut being stripped, which could cause issues when you try to attach it to the new manifold.

the muffler/exhaust shop said they couldn't do it either and i should just purchase a new egr tube from the dealer and have them put it on, which looks like my only option.

Back