Really considering a CPO CX-9

:
2009 CX-9 Touring AWD
Been without a car for the last 12 years, but now with two kids and an ever growing desire to get out of the city on the weekends whenever we can, to visit mountains and lakes in upstate NY, etc..., we are thinking a 7-8 seater awd is in the cards.

Read many reviews of all the usual suspects, but kept coming back to the fun to drive factor of the CX-9. Finally got to drive one yesterday, a 2009 touring, and was duly impressed. (I think it really was the fact that the tiptronic gearbox selector actually works logically the way it is supposed to, you know, forward for downshifts and back for up-shifts that seemed to stick in my mind the most!, plus the way the car very strongly pulls in second and third gear to 5500-5700rpm or so!).

Anyway, I do think it is in my mind and that we will be getting one shortly. So for all of you owners, it seems the GT has all of the little extras over the touring that one would want except perhaps for the unnecessarily large wheels, which model would you recommend concentrating on right now for the best combination of value, warranty, features and mileage?

Seems to me that in early 2013, there might be more stock available through CPO of off-lease 2009s with around 36k miles than there are right now. This seems to be why there is a bit of a scarcity for these at the moment and also such high prices, $21-26k (touring and GTs).

Anyway, sorry there is not much of a question in here, but I'm looking for some advice, encouragement etc..., from the owner/experts out here as to what to concentrate on. And it's got to have the tan leather interior!

Thanks and looking forward to hearing back...

in the meantime, a few great images of this beauty!

2008-mazda-cx-9-in-the-badlands-in-south-dakota-photo-220327-s-1280x782.jpg

2008-mazda-cx-9-photo-202530-s-1280x782.jpg

2008-mazda-cx-9-awd-photo-254943-s-1280x782.jpg

If you are near Wantagh Mazda they usually have a Touring All wheel drive model on sale for a little under 29k brand new. No sunroof though. Leather, Bose and All Wheel drive. I wish they had that when i bought mine. I don't like sunroofs at all.

NEW 2012 CX-9 models currently selling for $8000+ OFF MSRP! =)

Hi Reggie,

The deals available on 2012 models are pretty amazing right now, as dealers clear out to make room for the 2013 model. Would it be realistic for you to buy from a dealer in New Jersey? It looks like there are 600+ 2012 CX-9s within 50 miles of Newark, NJ. Some of those dealers are advertising the 2012 CX-9 Touring AWD from the low $25k range (about $7500 off MSRP).

I took my mom to test drive a 2012 CX-9 GT FWD yesterday (here in Georgia). With the Bose/Moonroof Package, Crystal White Pearl paint option and Power Liftgate, the sticker price is $37,385. We ended up getting a written quote for $29,772 ($31,135 with GA Sales Tax)- $7613 off MSRP!!! I'm going back with my dad tomorrow so he can write the check and bring it home! If they were financing it, they would have snagged another $1000 incentive to sweeten the deal....but they're paying cash and it's still a heckuva deal as is!

Currently, there isn't a CPO 2010 or newer CX-9 GT within 250 miles of Atlanta with the same equipment for a lower price than the brand new 2012 they're getting! You might want to take a look. December deals may be even better, if that's even possible....(cool)

wow. they should have financed it and paid it off with the first payment. positive cash flow and $1K off. win/win.

I had the same exact thought, but they're in the middle of a mortgage refi, so any major credit activity could cost them a lot more than $1000! They're looking at lowering their house payment from $1840 to $1390 per month and wouldn't want to screw that up!

Thanks for the feedback here and suggestions about looking for a deal on end of year 2012s, but even with the heavy discounts, they were just too expensive for us right now. But we picked up a 2009 AWD Touring last night, copper red with sand interior. In pretty clean condition, it's CPO, with 35k miles, Bose, sunroof, but no nav or power lift gate. The internet sales ad for the car listed an in-dash six disc CD player, but it appears to only have one disc.
img053.jpg

img054.jpg

Anyway, a few questions. With all of the commotion at the sale, I didn't notice until I got home that there is no owners manual and no CPO warranty info in the binder. Should there be a contract explaining the CPO coverage? The dealers finance guy explained that the CPO car comes with a 12/12,000 bumper to bumper and an 84/100,000 powertrain warranty, but then tried to sell some extended warranty that included bumper to bumper for 72/100,000 for $3600. I, um, passed.

The car appears to have conveniently had the factory roof rails removed prior to sale, and there is a gap in the plastic trim where the feet attached to the roof that looks like it can easily allow water to enter the roof. Is this ok, is there a way for the water to drain out from here? The dealer wants $700 to install rails (that I think they took off just for the purpose of charging their new customer!)

Also, at the test drive last week, the front rotors were warped and at high brake pressure caused a vibration in the pedal and the wheel that shook the car. The salesman said he felt it and would tell the service guys that a customer noticed it.

Well, last night, the salesman said that the service guys and the owner of the dealership said it wasn't noticeable and that any slight vibration was normal due to the car sitting for a few days and developing rust that would wear off. The owner then came out after we closed the sale and said the exact same thing about the rust causing that. I bought his story.

On the drive home, it vibrated exactly the same way as it did during the test drive, and I am positive the rotors need to be cut. How would you suggest resolving this with the dealer?

Last edited:
Anyway, a few questions. With all of the commotion at the sale, I didn't notice until I got home that there is no owners manual and no CPO warranty info in the binder. Should there be a contract explaining the CPO coverage? The dealers finance guy explained that the CPO car comes with a 12/12,000 bumper to bumper and an 84/100,000 powertrain warranty, but then tried to sell some extended warranty that included bumper to bumper for 72/100,000 for $3600. I, um, passed.

Here is a link to download the Owner's Manual, Smart Start Guide (Quick Reference with color photos, covers main features), Maintenance Schedules and misc other info-

https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/sea...x=25&year=2009&action=search&y=6&modelId=1608

Here is a link to the CPO Warranty Page- http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=cpoWarranty

And here is a list of items covered/not covered by the CPO Warranty- http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/cpo/cpo_warranty_components.pdf

Maybe those will be helpful until you can get a hard copy of the manuals.....now I'll get to work on responding to the remainder of your posting....congrats, BTW!!!

Here is a link to download the Owner's Manual, Smart Start Guide (Quick Reference with color photos, covers main features), Maintenance Schedules and misc other info-

https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/sea...x=25&year=2009&action=search&y=6&modelId=1608

Here is a link to the CPO Warranty Page- http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=cpoWarranty

And here is a list of items covered/not covered by the CPO Warranty- http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/cpo/cpo_warranty_components.pdf

Maybe those will be helpful until you can get a hard copy of the manuals.....now I'll get to work on responding to the remainder of your posting....congrats, BTW!!!

Thanks a lot! Reading the owners manual now.

Also, just read here in the forums that the car should probably have new tires and brakes to pass CPO. Mine has the original duellers with 35k miles. Of course the dealer said the tires are fine...

Also, just read here in the forums that the car should probably have new tires and brakes to pass CPO. Mine has the original duellers with 35k miles. Of course the dealer said the tires are fine...

Here is the 150-point inspection list for their CPO certification and it should meet every standard....starting with having an Owners Manual, Warranty Manual....and for tires, it states that they should have a minimum of 5/32 of 50%+ tread life remaining! Brake pads also should have 50%+ life remaining but it doesn't mention rotors...

SORRY- forgot to include the link- http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/cpo/cpo_150-point_veh_insp_summary.pdf

I would take the car to a tire shop that you trust or at least has a good reputation. Get them to examine and document the condition and remaining life of the tires, brake pads and rotors. Then take that back to the dealership and be very firm and insist that they bring the car up to the standards of their own CPO certification program! Escalate your complaint to Mazda NA corporate office- http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/contactMazda.action and go from there....

I hate that you ended up with such an honest, ethical and customer-service-oriented dealership....are there any other Mazda dealers you can use for future warranty needs or service after you get this resolved?

Last edited:
Im not sure which one is enrages me most- that they removed the roof rack or that they would charge $700 to install a new one!?!?

Below is a link to a website where you can buy all Genuine Mazda Accessories discounted up to 20% off retail pricing. The Roof Rack without the cross rails (for looks only, not functional) is $319.15 (list price is $368.95) or WITH the cross rails is only $391.76 (list price is $524.90)! You can also purchase the cross bars separately if you decided to just do the side rails now for looks and someday need to actually use it to carry something- they cost around $135.

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazdacx9roofrack.html

http://www.mazdaparts.org/macxrorawicr.html

BTW, this website isnt some anonymous, fly-by-night company- it is actually the parts department of Med Center Mazda in Pelham, Alabama (Birmingham suburb). They one of top five Mazda dealers in the Southeast and their parts department is actually the 3rd highest volume in the country. So theyre legit and Ive ordered lots of stuff from them for my 2006 Mazda3 over the years. They usually ship orders over $100 for free also!

Installing the roof rack is fairly easy, in my opinion, and Im not the most mechanically inclined person! It should be even easier since it has already had one, so I would order the roof rack and install it myself.rather than paying the dealership $300+ to install!!!

On to the vibrating brake issue-

I wouldnt have left until they fixed the issue. In situations like you describe, I usually have no choice but to do and say things that I do NOT like to get results! I am a very friendly, outgoing guy by nature, but the fangs and venom can come out when they must! A friend of mine made the remark Youre a little scary when you get pissed offmore than a little, actually after seeing me deal with a difficult situation. But thats what it takes to get some people to do the right, honest and fair thing! And if it doesnt work, I can always bring in reinforcements (even in my most rabid form, Im a koala bear compared to my mom and sistertheyve never killed anyone (yet) but I am confident that they are capable of it)! =)

Lookin' SHARP!

That 2009 Touring is SHARP looking! Other than the @sshole dealership, are you enjoying the CX-9 so far?

We bought Mom's 2012 Grand Touring on Friday and she is loving it! But one thing we noticed while we were looking around is how much different the Touring models look compared to the GT. The 2007-2010 Touring was almost as sharp as the Grand Touring. But the 2011-2012 Touring looked cheap to me and my mom said the same thing, even our salesman agreed. The main difference front the side profile is the wheel design, but it makes a HUGE difference in the overall appearance-

Below photos are a 2008 Touring, 2012 Touring and 2012 Grand Touring- which one do you find the most unattractive?

2008touringwhite.jpg

2012touringwhite.jpg

2012gtwhite.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the 150-point inspection list for their CPO certification and it should meet every standard....starting with having an Owners Manual, Warranty Manual....and for tires, it states that they should have a minimum of 5/32 of 50%+ tread life remaining! Brake pads also should have 50%+ life remaining but it doesn't mention rotors...

SORRY- forgot to include the link- http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/pdf/cpo/cpo_150-point_veh_insp_summary.pdf

I would take the car to a tire shop that you trust or at least has a good reputation. Get them to examine and document the condition and remaining life of the tires, brake pads and rotors. Then take that back to the dealership and be very firm and insist that they bring the car up to the standards of their own CPO certification program! Escalate your complaint to Mazda NA corporate office- http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/contactMazda.action and go from there....

I hate that you ended up with such an honest, ethical and customer-service-oriented dealership....are there any other Mazda dealers you can use for future warranty needs or service after you get this resolved?

Thanks a lot for the advice. I am reluctant to revisit the issue with the brakes with this dealer, but probably will at some point soon - as they are only going to get worse. I've read that others have upgraded rotors and pads after the warping issue recurred for them. Maybe something to consider.

I now feel that CPO has very little value except for the manufacturers warranty. I think that the dealer didn't perform any of the checks required beyond what they would do for a non-CPO car. I suspect they never changed the oil or filter, heck the car basically had an empty gas tank when i took delivery!

Anyway, I do like driving the thing so far. I really wanted a GT, mainly for the way it looks with the larger wheels and tires filling out the wheel-wells better as you said, but also for the backup camera, memory seats, etc...

Thanks a lot for the advice. I am reluctant to revisit the issue with the brakes with this dealer, but probably will at some point soon - as they are only going to get worse. I've read that others have upgraded rotors and pads after the warping issue recurred for them. Maybe something to consider.

I now feel that CPO has very little value except for the manufacturers warranty. I think that the dealer didn't perform any of the checks required beyond what they would do for a non-CPO car. I suspect they never changed the oil or filter, heck the car basically had an empty gas tank when i took delivery!

Anyway, I do like driving the thing so far. I really wanted a GT, mainly for the way it looks with the larger wheels and tires filling out the wheel-wells better as you said, but also for the backup camera, memory seats, etc...

If/when you decide to replace the rotors, you'll probably want to install new brake pads at the same time. I just installed new brake pads all around on my 2006 Mazda3 and I used ceramic brake pads (vs. semi-metallic) for the first time. I can't say enough positive things about them- I love them!!! They reduce heat buildup which prevents (or greatly reduces) rotor warping so they last longer and they are resistant to fading under heavy use. The cost difference is minimal and well worth it!

The selling dealership sounds like it it owned and ran by a bunch of snakes in the grass...the kind who keep the stereotype of the sleazy, lying car dealer alive! Hopefully you have another dealership you can use for service and repairs instead of these jerks! I would at least write a letter to Mazda and share your disappointment in the dealership and the CPO program. If the dealer isn't following the guidelines for the CPO certification process, it is a potential liability for Mazda and could undermine the value of their CPO program. Even if you don't benefit directly, maybe that dealer will get a good kick in the @ss! And delivering a car, new or CPO, with an empty gas tank is just plain rude! They concept of customer service and creating customer loyalty is clearly more than they can comprehend....

(Here's the part where I try to cheer you up for getting a Touring instead of a GT)....

Wheels and tires- The wheels on the 2007-2010 Touring were much better looking than the 2011-2012 Touring. If you ever need to replace a wheel, you'll be glad you have the 18"- the 20" wheels retail for $831.90 and the 18" retail for $569.95 EACH!!! You can find them discounted, but there is still a $200+ difference between them. (FYI- if you ever need to replace them or anything else at your own expense, check out car-part.com to search for salvage parts, if you want to save a lot of money). 20" wheels are also more of a target for thieves.

The tires also cost at least $75 more (each) for the 20" vs. the 18". The 20" also tend to have less or no treadwear warranty coverage in comparison to the 18" tires of the same brand. The Touring has P245/60HR18 All-Seasons compared to the Grand Touring's P245/50VR20 Performance All-Seasons- the 18" will definitely perform much better in rain or snow and they provide a better ride year-round along with less road noise.

A nasty shock for me in my '06 Mazda3 was how easy it is damage wheels with low-profile tires (P205/50VR17 in my case)! When my car was less than two years old, I met a Chevy Tahoe in a curve and it was several feet over the center line into my lane. I had to choose between a head-on at 45mph with a huge SUV or run off the shoulder and possibly into a ditch or embankment- I took my chances with the ditch! I actually stayed on the very edge of the shoulder and that's where I encountered the pothole from hell- at least 12" x 10" and at least 6" deep. Both my front and rear wheels on the passenger side were destroyed and the tires were flat. The suspension on the right front wheel was severely damaged and, just to top it off, one of the fluid-filled engine mounts exploded and sprayed oil-like fluid all over the engine compartment! I was NOT happy, to say the least. The total damage was just over $2500 and I only had to pay my $250 comprehensive deductible. But I was really surprised to learn that neither of the tires were damaged by the impact-they went flat because the lip of the wheel was bent so severely that they couldn't hold air. The owner of the shop that repaired it let me on a nasty little secret- tires with a sidewall lower than 60 don't absorb enough of the impact to protect the wheel from being damaged!!! In my case, the $150 tires passed the energy right on to the $500 wheels and aluminum alloy is far less capable of absorbing and dissipating an impact than rubber. I learned the hard way but now I'll swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid a pothole.

Rear view camera- If you really want the backup camera, Mazda offers a rearview mirror with the backup camera built in. It lists for around $770 uninstalled, but you can find it for around $600 online. The display looks rather small, but it actually works pretty well according to a few folks who have it installed in their CX-9. The mirror is also auto-dimming.

Other features-

Homelink and/or Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror- if you don't get the rearview mirror with backup camera, you can upgrade to an auto-dimming (day/night) rearview mirror with or without the Homelink programmable remote included.

Fog lights- you didn't mention this, but I don't think the Touring has fog lights (let me know if I am incorrect about that). If you want them, you can add them but they are insanely expensive like most other Mazda accessories- around $650 after you purchase the fog light assembly AND the fog light bezel, which is sold separately.

Memory seats- while it is nice to have if more than one person drives it regularly, it could be better. Even my mom's '07 Explorer included mirror position and foot pedal position (it had adjustable pedals) in addition to seat position in the memory function. In the CX-9, it only remembers seat position. My cousin has a 2008 Lexus GX470 and it has the perfect memory setup- it remembers driver's seat adjustments, both side mirrors and the steering wheel position (tilt/telescope is power adjustable in the Lexus)- I'd love to see that on the CX-9 in the future.

Rain-sensing wipers and keyless access system- the rain-sensing wipers are the very definition of overkill! If you are driving down the road and it starts to rain, how much trouble is it to turn on the wipers? The rain-sensing technology still hasn't been perfected and was even less so in 2009, so they don't always work when they should and sometimes start swiping when it's bone dry. The keyless access system (and smart keys in general) are highly over-rated, in my opinion, and the system on 2007-2009 CX-9s is the number one complaint I've read about on all the Mazda forums.

Cargo cover- the cargo cover to hide the area behind the 3rd row seat is only available on models without the power liftgate. It's a nice security feature if you ever leave anything in the car overnight.

Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights- a 2009 Grand Touring would be almost four years old and could need a bulb replacement or even have more serious problems with the control module or ignitor element (I have no clue what that is or what it does, but it's part of the Xenon light system and it ain't cheap)! In short, Xenon headlights are VERY complex and repair costs of the complex, expensive parts is worth consideration before buying a used car with them. I'd rather have halogens like your Touring! BTW, when you need to replace the bulbs, I highly recommend Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA bulbs. They aren't cheap, around $100 for two low and two high beams, but they're the brightest halogen headlight on the market and as effective as Xenons in most situations.

Final note- the Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) system is a pain in the butt! I drove my mom's new CX-9 to an appointment in downtown Atlanta (about 65 miles from the town where we live). The closer you get to the city, the more aggressive drivers become...and so do I. If I need to change lanes, as long as I can clear the bumpers the car I'm squeezing between, I go for it! The BSM warning was going off constantly until I found the switch to disable it....

There are a few Mazda Accessories that you might consider to make your CX-9 even better-

In the photo, it doesn't appear that you have the front or rear splash guards. Unlike most 'mud flaps' they are very subtle and blend in perfectly with the black rock panels. They are very functional in several ways. My mom's new CX-9 is Pearl White and she wanted the front and rear splash guards, but they only had the rear ones in stock. So they installed those and I have an appt. next week to go back for the front ones to be installed. When we got the car home, both front doors were splattered from the tire shine they used when they detailed the car for delivery. So they do protect the lower door panels from dirt and potential damage. Just a thought, especially if you plan to drive in winter weather.

They also have an option they call the Cargo Tray. It's made out of heavy-duty rubber and protect the rear cargo area. The cool thing is how it's made- it is three separate parts, one that covers the are behind the third row and the other two attach to the back of the third row seats. So it folds up and down with the third row as needed. Most cargo area protectors have to be removed to use the third row or only cover the area behind the third row, so this is a neat solution and only costs around $120. The $40 Cargo Net can also be used with it and keeps stuff from rolling around back there.

So you're probably better off in the long run with the Touring anyway....you don't need no stinkin' GT! Feel better now? (yippy)

Back