Real world MPG

:
2012 Mazda5 Touring
Since I was posting mine in the 2010 section, figure would start it here.

2012 Mazda 5 Touring
Miles: 229 miles
Gallon: 7.7
MPG 29.7

My second tank went down a bit.

2012 Mazda 5 Touring
Miles:305
Gallon:10.8 gallon
MPG:28.2

Car has 850 miles on it now.

My cumulative mpg can be seen below. However, that includes a 700-mile trip at 24.5 mpg.

My daily driving around the neighborhood only nets about 15.5-16.0 mpg. Yeah, I know it sucks!

My 12 Sport Auto got 24.0 the first two tanks then I got 28 mpg on the last tank (1400 miles). I usually drive easy and coast alot but all of our gas here is 10% alcohol so Im surprised at the numbers. My 09 stick shift got between 21 and 26 on avg . My 2012 is a noticeably better car than my 09 in a lot of little ways. I do drive solo most of the time and I removed all my rear seats.

My one is driven 60 miles a day during the week. Probably gets few hundred on the weekend. I will be averaging about 2000 miles/month. During the week, 20 miles of the 60 is at 75-80mph, rest is bumper to bumper traffic. AC is usually on, given southern CA heat.

I am using 87 octance, and pleasantly surprised at the mileage so far.

Very first tank, averaged 27mpg with about 60% highway driving, with plenty of hills. A/C on the whole time.

I'm pretty happy with that, especially if it gets a bit better as the car loosens up.

My last two tanks (450 miles) were about 65-70% freeway and conservatively driven. They averaged 17.5 mpg. (braindead

Very first tank, averaged 27mpg with about 60% highway driving, with plenty of hills. A/C on the whole time.

I'm pretty happy with that, especially if it gets a bit better as the car loosens up.

Will fillup with 3rd tank tomorrow and report back. Car is getting window tint in the morning. Much needed here.

My last two tanks (450 miles) were about 65-70% freeway and conservatively driven. They averaged 17.5 mpg. (braindead

I'm really curious as to why you're consistently getting way below average fuel economy compared to the rest of us. Your MPGs are in full size minivan territory.

I'm really curious as to why you're consistently getting way below average fuel economy compared to the rest of us. Your MPGs are in full size minivan territory.

I found that by watching the instantaneous MPG display, I saw how abrupt acceleration and braking really affects mileage, and now I try to be super-smooth on the throttle, and brake as little as possible (within reason of course, I'm not running over small children in the name of fuel economy!). Living in a hilly area, or driving on roads with constant stop signs/lights, will wreak havoc with your fuel economy and there's not much you can do about it.

Or perhaps johnnieboy's car is just a lemon. It would be interesting to find a long flat straight stretch of road and see what your instantaneous MPG is going exactly 55 mph - that should be pretty consistent between vehicles.

You guys need to leave johnnieboy alone. He is constantly harrased about his MPG here and in the 2010 forum. He has answered the question many a times. Nothing is wrong with his car, it is not a lemon.

You guys need to leave johnnieboy alone. He is constantly harrased about his MPG here and in the 2010 forum. He has answered the question many a times. Nothing is wrong with his car, it is not a lemon.
Dunno...I'm going to take it to the dealer for a warranty issue and have them check the electronics module, too. My trip computer this tank is reporting an average of 14.3 mpg so far (about 80 miles mostly city). Granted, I live in a hilly neighborhood, drive mostly short trips on city streets, and tend to get on the 'loud pedal' more than I should, but 14.3 mpg...REALLY?

I drove a 2012 Mazda 5 loaner for 3 days (it wasn't my car). I averaged 13.7MPG. I average 27MPG in my car, same model.

You do the math :D I can drive my Lotus and get 9MPG or 32 MPG. It is all in the driving.

I drove a 2012 Mazda 5 loaner for 3 days (it wasn't my car). I averaged 13.7MPG. I average 27MPG in my car, same model.

You do the math :D I can drive my Lotus and get 9MPG or 32 MPG. It is all in the driving.

I hear ya. My old '56 Buick with a two-barrel got me 4mpg, but my foot was always on the floorboard, either on the gas or the brake. It never saw partial throttle...but I was in high school then.

My 67 mini cooper got 16mpg on its last fill up. It has dual tanks and is a tiny 4 cyl. But I love burning my 10" rubber, and I am not in high school :D

Dunno...I'm going to take it to the dealer for a warranty issue and have them check the electronics module, too. My trip computer this tank is reporting an average of 14.3 mpg so far (about 80 miles mostly city). Granted, I live in a hilly neighborhood, drive mostly short trips on city streets, and tend to get on the 'loud pedal' more than I should, but 14.3 mpg...REALLY?

Have you calculated it yourself, not relying on the computer? Do you reset the computer or is that a lifetime average? I wouldn't be surprised by 14.3, though, if you're flooring the gas in city driving on hills.

Have you calculated it yourself, not relying on the computer? Do you reset the computer or is that a lifetime average? I wouldn't be surprised by 14.3, though, if you're flooring the gas in city driving on hills.
I always calculate my mileage manually, but also recognize a single fill-up is not a sound indicator of mpg because of differences in degree of tank fill beginning and ending. Yes, I zero-out my average at each fill-up. I was just noting casually that the trip computer is currently in the 14s (now it's based on about 140 miles). This tank is probably an anomaly, as my fill-ups average around 16 mpg. The average MPG shown below in my sig includes a 700-mile freeway-only trip where I got 24.5 mpg.

Last edited:
My computer isn't that accurate. I do it old school. 0 the mileage, write down gallons. My trip comp has been off by 2-3MPG, and VERY pessimistic on range!!

My trip computer seemed pessimistic by 0.5-1.0 mpg for the first several tanks, but recently it's been averaging the same as my manual calculations based on odometer readings and gallons pumped. Any given tank might be off by as much as 2 mpg, but a rolling four-tank average calculates the same on the trip computer as my manual calculations.

Back