Real-world gas mileage in the 3

vividmaz3 said:
I have almost 9K on my 3 and i think the reason we get crappy gas mileage is because we have a 14.5 gallon tank. I have more capacity in my stomache then that. My eclipse had a 16 gallon tank so Im use to that.. it was awesome. but thats why we have crappy gas mileage.. is our baby tank, wellt hats why our tank empties so fast.. same gas mileage.. but miles to the tank.
as for MPG that is how many miles you can squeeeeeeze out of a single gallon of liquid fuel source. how many miles you can squeeeeze out of the tank is your fuel range....and I have a 18 gallon tank...it's ther for those long trips and putting around but......... it disapears when you push the car too hard....gas needle moves like a big block V8!!!

goldwing2000 said:
Averaging between 24 and 28 mpg. 3s HB. Driving it like I stole it.
You know it(hump)

M.A.Z.D.A.

Most
Always
Zipping
Dangerously
About

Mixed highway/city driving. I get about 9L /100 KM

I estimate about 610KM per tank, i filled it up at 568KM on the tank and it only took 46L (of the 55)

wow. this is incouraging. I'm getting better milage then some of you guys in the 2.3's.

So the Mazdaspeed 3 will get what? 17mpg? I might as well buy a truck.

Newf said:
wow. this is incouraging. I'm getting better milage then some of you guys in the 2.3's.

damn them just splurge for the srt....2.4 and 19 mpg at 18 psi stage 2.....lol tuboed daily drivers arn't the gas friendliest vehicles....unless you turbo a hybrid (thought)

Newf said:

If you drive VERY conservatively, you can get 30mpg. Otherwise, you're looking at between 23 and 27.

It's not about the mpg, though. It's about the zoom-zoom. If that doesn't matter to you, then go ahead and get a truck. Or an Aveo.

Airman Jack said:
I've got a little under 6000 km on my 3 sport. Driving it in the city, I get about 400km/tank so that works out to roughly 11.25L/100km or 21mpg, and on the highway I get about 550km range, which is about 8.5L/100km or 28mpg.... that is assuming I did the conversions QUOTE]

is that an auto or manual?

I have something to add to this. It seems that my 2.3 hatch doesn't always fill the tank all the way. I've filled it on occasions where it doesn't move off the Full peg until over 40 miles, and other times it takes under 20 miles. Both were in pure cruise control, 75mph driving situations. This can definitely honk up your calculations......

Gas mileage results

We've had our 3s sedan since December. With 5,500 miles on the clock, I get about the following;

Daily Commute - Mixed city/highway - 25mpg
Highway trips - 70-80mph cruising - 32mpg

I have gotten no worse than 22mpg and have seen a best of 34mpg on the trip up to Winston-Salem last night. I drove in a very consertave manner doing between 65 and 75, had my wife, son and brother-in-law in the car with luggage. Our car is the manumatic also. I am pleased with it's results.

Have 300 on my odometr and got 20.5 MPG. WTF? (bang) Is this break-in feature?

rmrf said:
Have 300 on my odometr and got 20.5 MPG. WTF? (bang) Is this break-in feature?

If you only have 300 on the odo, I don't think that milage figure is going to be accurate. You're still on your first tankful and it may not have been completely full when you picked it up.

Wait till at least the next tank before you get upset!

goldwing2000 said:
If you only have 300 on the odo, I don't think that milage figure is going to be accurate. You're still on your first tankful and it may not have been completely full when you picked it up.

Wait till at least the next tank before you get upset!
Got MY first tank today. Will post report here later.

Is the "Low Fuel" lamp always come on when you have 3 Gal left? :confused:

road trippin

i was driving my 3 to and from nashville and was able to get 400 miles before the low fuel light came on.

Da 6 said:
yeah sometimes having a 18 gallon tank hurts....you ever look at the pump in disbelief and look at the pump to seethe gas is actually going into the car and not the other side of the wheel well:(

try having a 35.7 gallon fuel tank like my F-150. nearly $70 to fill up at the current CA gas prices...and I only get 14 - 17 MPG.

...damn, I need to get me a 3s...

Back