Real Bad Gas Mileage!

Well, 13mpg was what is what my RX-8 got at best. This is good information, as I was considering a CX-7. I guess I'll keep my Tribute for a while.

What kind of gas milage are you guys getting on the highway? Also, who has the FWD and who has the AWD?

Last edited:
chrismulkey25 said:
We've got the FWD version and first tank came out to 21 mpg. We traded in our 04 RX-8 so we are happy to get that.
Sounds like us. We traded our 04 RX-8 on the Tribute.
Plus the stealer
(lol)
Plus, when they test the vehicle to determine the Avg mpg,(Highway and City) do they use Premium as well?
Good question.

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
Well, 13mpg was what is what my RX-8 got at best. This is good information, as I was considering a CX-7. I guess I'll keep my Tribute for a while.

What kind of gas milage are you guys getting on the highway? Also, who has the FWD and who has the AWD?

The RX-8 is a whole different story and you can't compare them apples to apples. Different engine and drivetrain completely. Anyway I would not hesitate to trade the Tribute for the CX-7. No offense but I've driven both and there is no comparison. One is a rebadged Ford and the other drives like a well handling sedan. Ride quality, handling, fit and finish and feature content will be a level above the Tribute. On a recent highway trip I got up to 19mpg, but with mixed driving I'm back down in the 16's.

JayHovah said:
The RX-8 is a whole different story and you can't compare them apples to apples. Different engine and drivetrain completely.
(lol)...I'm not new to this game.
Apologies if my comment was mistaken for my comparing the two. It was simply a statement meant to convey that I dislike poor gas milage with minimal benefit. For example: my RX-8 got high 15s at the track, 13mpg, and cost me $32,000. My stock 120,000 mile old miata gets low 16s at the same track, 20mpg, and cost me $17,000. That is a close comparison in that they are in the same genre; hence my decision to make the miata my toy.

Of course the RX-8 was much better on the autocross track, but I am sure I could make the miata handle just as well if not better if I put that extra $13K into it. ;)

Anyway I would not hesitate to trade the Tribute for the CX-7. No offense but I've driven both and there is no comparison. One is a rebadged Ford and the other drives like a well handling sedan. Ride quality, handling, fit and finish and feature content will be a level above the Tribute. On a recent highway trip I got up to 19mpg, but with mixed driving I'm back down in the 16's.
Other than the Tribute's gas milage, I would expect the CX-7 to be far superior and look forward to it if I do get one. The only other car I am considering instead is a Mazdaspeed 3. I could probably fit just as much stuff in the hatch area of a 3 as the CX-7.
We shall see...

Mazda3 said:
C&D has the slowest CX-7 numbers I've seen yet. I have seen numbers as quick as 7.5 and 15.5 for the 1/4.
Is it the slowest numbers or the slowest drivers? ;)

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
My stock 120,000 mile old miata gets low 16s at the same track, 20mpg, and cost me $17,000.
your miata only gets 20 mpg?

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
(lol)...I'm not new to this game.
Apologies if my comment was mistaken for my comparing the two. It was simply a statement meant to convey that I dislike poor gas milage with minimal benefit. For example: my RX-8 got high 15s at the track, 13mpg, and cost me $32,000. My stock 120,000 mile old miata gets low 16s at the same track, 20mpg, and cost me $17,000. That is a close comparison in that they are in the same genre; hence my decision to make the miata my toy.

Didn't mean to disrespect you in any way but sounded like you were comparing the two. My 350Z gets about 9-10mpg at the track (mostly NHIS, its a tight road course) and 21mpg in mixed driving. A full second at the dragstrip is harder to comeby then you might think. Can't go wrong with either though, both fun cars. I think the issue with the RX-8 is that the new Wankel is still not ready for prime time yet ;) I've heard a lot of complaints about horrible gas mileage with the rotary.

As for CX-7 vs. Speed3, thats a tough one. The CX-7 is actually my girlfriend's but I drive it all the time. I am considering a Speed3 as well maybe next spring. You have to ask yourself if you need the AWD and comfy space for passengers because the 3 won't really have that for adults on a long trip. Also you will have more overall cargo room with the CX-7 (seats folded down etc). Being a sports car enthusiast I can say that the CX-7 is the best handling crossover/SUV I have driven (haven't driven an Infiniti FX or Ceyenne yet). And you can't beat the price. I wouldn't worry too much about the gas mileage. The Speed3 isn't going to be that much better with a 250+ hp turbo. It's all you see in the news nowadays so I can understand though...

Last edited:
JayHovah said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the gas mileage. It's all you see in the news nowadays so I can understand though...
(poke)

lower gas mileage = more $$$

some people do actually need to think about money

nate0123 said:
(poke)

lower gas mileage = more $$$

some people do actually need to think about money

Wasn't implying not to worry about it. More so that the CX-7 isn't going too be much worse then a Speed3 or a Tribute. To me a couple mpg difference is worth driving a car I will enjoy everyday especially if we're talking spending $25-35k. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
nate0123 said:
your miata only gets 20 mpg?
you have no idea how I drive! ;) My little booger sees redline at almost every shift. Think of it as my "testing" the engine's durability for other's information. Happy to oblige! :D

That's city driving milage at worst. Highway only gas milage (such as what I get on road trips) is 28-30.

JayHovah said:
Didn't mean to disrespect you in any way but sounded like you were comparing the two.
np. I was hoping you weren't going to be the typical "you girl...me man...me know more than you about cars" neanderthal. :D
A full second at the dragstrip is harder to comeby then you might think.
I bet a turbo BP would get loads better milage though! ;)
Can't go wrong with either though, both fun cars. I think the issue with the RX-8 is that the new Wankel is still not ready for prime time yet ;)
Oh yes you can and you're right; check out why I got rid of my RX-8:
The post: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1985541&postcount=59
The rest of the thread: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104126
This car only saw track time once at the autocross and once at the drag strip.

I don't feel the least bit sorry for getting rid of it. I am dissapointed that Mazda has chosen to NOT include the customer survey information from RX-8 owners. Facists...

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
np. I was hoping you weren't going to be the typical "you girl...me man...me know more than you about cars" neanderthal. :D

Honestly, I didn't notice your screen name until after I posted :)

Damn Judging from your threads sounds like I would have broken that thing in a week the way I drive!!! (omg)

Last edited:
man since i picked up my car thursday August 21st, i have driven 1800 kms (1080miles).. for every fill up i get about 450-500 kms(270 - 300 miles). I think thats the right conversation.. times by .6 right?..

JayHovah said:
Honestly, I didn't notice your screen name until after I posted :)
It's no big deal. :)

Damn Judging from your threads sounds like I would have broken that thing in a week the way I drive!!! (omg)
Tell me about it; I babied her too.

1Sleepy93 said:
Wow, your RX-8 was a piece of crap. (headshake
They all are around here. I think it may be the heat. I used to work for the service department at our local dealership. None escaped the 10,000 mile range without some major problem, most with multiple problems.

My 8...

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
They all are around here. I think it may be the heat. I used to work for the service department at our local dealership. None escaped the 10,000 mile range without some major problem, most with multiple problems.

I still have my RX 8....it's been ok. I have the automatic and I am now getting 19 mpg city after 35,000 miles! I have had a few ECU flashes, plugs switched out, brake squeaks fixed and from time to time she idles a little rough. The car loves temps around 70-75F. Right now she's running like a dream....The rotary does not like the cold...in the beginning she bucks and hesitates a little till she's warmed up, then it's fine. I just feel she's under powered and twice I had some power loss as I was turning but that's it in the three years. Tough trying to sell it and now I hear they are gonna do some testing on all of them...a recall of sorts for the engine......some may get new ones.. Today I received a notice about them extending the powertrain warranty for free. Geez, I am gonna lose some bucks when I trade it...I doubt I will be able to sell her to a private party. 4 calls no one looked in just over a month. Why can't they put the 4 cyc. turbo engine in the 8??? It is one of the most beautiful cars on the road...it's a shame!! They just need to get some kinks out of the Wankel....I think they are almost there!! Still waiting on my investment property to sell and than I will hopefully get my 7....or 5??? Preferably the CX7!!!

I had high hopes for the new rotory but it seems they still need some more R&D put into it.

Latest posts

Back