re: Carbon fiber in winter

thaikim

mmm... rice
re: Carbon fiber in winter

Hello all, I'm looking into buying a carbon fiber hood soon... however since winter is creeping up on us, I was wondering what's everyones opinion on carbon fiber in the winter months.

I've heard many people remove theirs, I assume mostly for peace of mind... but I was wondering if there was really a problem with having one year round. I'm mostly concerned about the freezing temps, the flux between hot/cold and god forbid we actually get some white stuff.

Crazy Caker (Joe from Xcelerated Concepts) says he rocks his all year round without issues and he's in Canada so I'm sure his winters dwarf anything I get in the midatlantic.

Just curious if anyone in the north has any educated opinions...
Thanks and curse you southern bastards who don't experience winter and are probably scratching their heads at this thread. :D

I've heard both and have personaly seen full year round CF and it looked good... just make sure when you wash it you should wax it as well

Put mine on in early January, still looks perfect. It's been through a bit of snow, a few trips to the mountains, no less than -10 degrees Celsius though.

Anyone else have experience with this?? I'm mostly concerned with how it'll hold up in freezing temps.... I don't want it cracking or something.

I had my carbon fiber hood on year round and no issues. I took off the grille though.

My trim pieces have taken a beating
The have some more cracks now
I should go take em off
lookin at getting all season tires

don't rock it in the winter unless you can afford to take your chances with having to potentially replace a cracked finish or hood. I change mine out every season at the same time I change my wheels to/from winter radials and it's served me well.

I'll be changing out my current CF hood when I put my snow tires on, but only because the paint on it is so fresh and clean I don't want it to have to endure winter :p

I rocked my old CF hood in the winter no problem.

Back