Raw Fuel Smell

Alfissimoint.

:
08' CX-9 AWD
I am getting a raw fuel smell from the engine compartment during higher ambient temps. I am assuming this may be a vapor recirculation problem. I am not sure at this point how the vapors are recirculated in this vehicle. But there must be some of that vapor being burned off in the combustion chamber. I am wondering if there is a valve or hose that may be bad and when the higher ambient temps come about usually noticed above 95˚F+, it leaks.

I have had a similar issue on my Alfa Romeo 164 and it is so strange I am having the similar issue on this thing.

Any help would be great. I need to find a fuel section from the shop manual.

Can you smell the gas when the hood is open while it is idling?

In my old BMW, when the engine cover gasket developed a leak, I could smell gasoline
inside the cabin and when hood is open.

I can smell it driving and idling with hood closed. But more so in engine compartment. Nothing down under where the charcoal canister is located.
Engine cover? Do you mean valve cover gasket?
If thats what you mean, I should not have a fuel smell from a leaky valve cover gasket. Please explain if I am not reading you right?
I think the purge valve must be bad. I can smell it more up there but once it's going it's hard to pinpoint. But it is definitely in the engine compartment. This is not safe and the dumb dealer can't find it. Yes. I can smell it when i open the hood and when radiator fan is on and I can smell it at drivers door.

Back