Rattles?

pearlcx9

I have about 1500 miles on my vehicle. I notice interior rattles started popping up at around 500 miles, took it in to the dealer and they cured one and a new one popped up around the passenger door area. I hate to bring it to the dealer, they will start removing panels, and it's never the same when they're done. Has anyone experience extensive rattles with their CX9?(notcool)

I have one right above the driver side B-pillar. It annoys the hell out of me.
I took it in once, but they couldn't recreate the noise. I'm thinking of just spraying some expanding foam between the roof and headliner.

I have one right above the driver side B-pillar. It annoys the hell out of me.
I took it in once, but they couldn't recreate the noise. I'm thinking of just spraying some expanding foam between the roof and headliner.

I had a rattle coming from driver's side B pillar too. It took three trips to the dealer before they found it. Even though the sound seemed high up, around ear level, it was actually the door lock bracket / latch which was loose. Dealer tightened it and the sound is gone.

I've had two rattles and my CX-9 is only six months old! One was coming from the headliner right behind the map lights. I put some foam tape in there and was able to quiet it. Another place was from the shifter trim. I removed the shifter trim and also used some foam tape to quiet it down.

I still get an occasional rattle and found that if you don't unwrap the passenger-side seatbelt, then the seatbelt buckle makes contact with the B-pillar and begins to rattle.

chiurw, can you tell me how to remove the shifter panel. I am having the same squeaky/rattle in the area. I've tried pulling to remove, but was affraid to break the piece. Thanks.

chiurw, can you tell me how to remove the shifter panel. I am having the same squeaky/rattle in the area. I've tried pulling to remove, but was affraid to break the piece. Thanks.

1) Flip open the cupholder lid. This exposes the trailing edge of the shifter console cover.
2) Unscrew the shifter knob and remove from the shifter.
3) Carefully move out to the sides the two wood-trim vertical pieces on both sides of the console. You can use your fingers to separate these pieces near the bottom where they meet with the console cover.
4) I used a trim piece removal tool. It looks like an angled, two-pronged flat-blade screwdriver. I carefully lifted the trailing edge with my fingers to create enough space to insert the removal tool. Carefully pry the cover off. I believe that there are a total of 4 clips (two on each side of the shifter cover) that you will have to "pop" off.
5) While doing Step 4, there is a smaller cover ahead of the shifter cover that makes up the little cubby hole below the climate control knobs. This cover is attached to the shifter cover so as you "pop" off the shifter cover, you may have to use the removal tool to "pop" off the clips holding the smaller cover.
6) Once you remove the shifter cover, there are four screws that secure the shifter chrome piece to the black shifter cover. Mine was rattling from the shifter chrom piece.
7) Remove the chrome piece and place one strip of foam tape to the left and right sides of the chrom piece and resecure to the black console cover using the 4 screws.
8) Reattach pieces in the reverse order.

Sorry I don't have any pictures to show you. I did this one Sunday afternoon and it took me about 45 minutes. When you work with interiors, take it slowly. Carefully watch if you have any obstructions or if something doesn't budge easily, then it may be held down by a screw. These are things I learned along the way as I have taken dashes apart on almost every car I have owned. Good luck and let me know if you have other questions.

I've had two rattles and my CX-9 is only six months old! One was coming from the headliner right behind the map lights. I put some foam tape in there and was able to quiet it. Another place was from the shifter trim. I removed the shifter trim and also used some foam tape to quiet it down.

I still get an occasional rattle and found that if you don't unwrap the passenger-side seatbelt, then the seatbelt buckle makes contact with the B-pillar and begins to rattle.

+100

Anyway, this post is spot on (alright)

1) Flip open the cupholder lid. This exposes the trailing edge of the shifter console cover.

3) Carefully move out to the sides the two wood-trim vertical pieces on both sides of the console. You can use your fingers to separate these pieces near the bottom where they meet with the console cover.
4) I used a trim piece removal tool. It looks like an angled, two-pronged flat-blade screwdriver. I carefully lifted the trailing edge with my fingers to create enough space to insert the removal tool. Carefully pry the cover off. I believe that there are a total of 4 clips (two on each side of the shifter cover) that you will have to "pop" off.

Which way do the side covers remove? Towards the back of the car or the sides?

Thanks for the write-up!

Back