Rattlebox

ehidle

:
2008 Mazda 3i Touring
Ok, so if you've read some of my other posts, you know I've had my new 3 for a very short time.

BUT, I'm curious if anyone else has a problem with their car being a total rattlebox. My car seems to develop a new rattle, squeak, or pop, somewhere in the interior just about every day. I don't have anything in the car, and most of them seem to be coming from the dash.

It's really really annoying. Has anyone ever attempted to take the dash apart and install sound barriers or bushings at the interfaces between plastic panels or anything?

Even after almost 2 years and as many winters, the only rattles I hear are from the roadside emergency junk I have in the rear tray.

I know some of the speed3 guys had issues with rattles/squeaking from the plastic bit outside that runs along the bottom of the windshield. One fixed it by inserting some electrical tape along its length...

I think that might be the new one that popped up this morning, but the first and worst one is coming from somewhere near the left of the dash or front of the driver's door. I can't really pin it down. Ugh...

i have one that is coming from the area around the ignition key to the radio. i havent narrowed it down, and it only appears when its a rough road. sucks balls because i know i'll never get around to finding and fixing it

My car just keeps getting worse and worse. It is almost unbearable to drive at this point, so I am back in my Pathfinder (at 15mpg). I am going to take it to the dealer to see if they'll take down and reassemble the interior or something, because the car is not drivable as it is right now :(

do you drive with the radio off or something? My rattle is miniscule, but yours sounds like you got on elephant sitting next to you with a pair of symbols trying to listen for a needle drop at high speeds

After nine months and 14.5K miles my MS3 is still pretty tight. It doesn't feel as solid as my E36/5 3 Series, but it doesn't have any rattles or squeaks. Just lucky, I guess.

do you drive with the radio off or something? My rattle is miniscule, but yours sounds like you got on elephant sitting next to you with a pair of symbols trying to listen for a needle drop at high speeds

Hahah no.. the rattle is just very prominent in the left side of the dash or front of the driver's door. It's one of those where you can't really hear exactly where it's coming from. There's another one that I THINK is the thing about the windshield cowl that there's a TSB for.

One thing that isn't helping is the engine stumbling at idle. It shakes the whole car so it's not surprising that things are coming loose. Of course, "it's normal."

GRRRR...

dude sounds like you got a lemon, why dont you trade in? i know that if you've only had the car for a month, that you're able to give back and pay for the depreciation difference

dude sounds like you got a lemon, why dont you trade in? i know that if you've only had the car for a month, that you're able to give back and pay for the depreciation difference

Well, the engine stumbling and rattling noise by the windshield are known issues with known fixes. The one on the left is just something that wasn't tightened quite right. It will probably go away when the panels are removed and replaced with felt padding underneath them (having that done this week).

I doubt this qualifies as a lemon, but you never know, it might ultimately be that way. If it meets the criteria at some point, then I am sure having the car replaced will be an academic matter. In the time being, I have to do my due diligence in having the car repaired.

My dealer is being more than cooperative.

Back