Rattle

ZiaCX-5

:
2014 CX-5 Grand Touring FWD
Good Afternoon-

I was wondering if I could have some input on my situation and see what the experts on here say.

I have a 2014 CX-5 GT, with just at 15,000 miles. Have had no issues, other than the hood and driver side mirror shake. My family recently took a 500 mile one way vacation to a major city. We did not have traffic where we live so not much fast stop and go traffic or merging on and off of freeways. We had been in town and driving around quite a bit (around 300 miles I would say) when I started to hear a rattle on low rev acceleration. I had the oil changed and tires rotated at a dealership a couple of days prior (in the larger city). It was in the city traffic, and was when the car would going on a slight incline and need to downshift. It got more pronounced as the day went on. I took it back to the dealership and had a tech ride with me so that I could duplicate the sound. It seemed to happen around 30 - 40 mph when I started an incline and the car needed to downshift. It would rattle slightly, then shift and all would be as it should be. The tech said he heard it to and would take a look. After an hour wait the tech informed me that he found a handful of gravel (rocks) in the undercarriage of the car and that had to be what was making the rattle; as he drove it alone and could not duplicate it.

It did not do it right away, on our 500 mile trip home and all was fine for the first 100 miles or so. I had cruise at 75 and when I would need to slow down for another car or something, it might fall to 60 or 65 mph and I would hit the resume feature on the cruise control and it start to accelerate, rattle a second, then downshift again; and all would seem normal. The shifting did not feel weird or out of place, it all "felt" normal except for the rattling sound. I diverted our route to another dealership in a different town and had the shop foreman ride with me. I could not get it to duplicate with him in the car, but he asked if I was on the same tank of gas since it had started. I was on the second tank of gas, but it was gas that I had gotten at random gas stations in this larger city. The foreman told me it sounded like it might have been "bad gas" or "dirty gas" that was causing a spark plug misfire or something similar. He asked if it sounded like some marbles in a small glass rattling around? I felt like that was a pretty accurate description of the noise I was hearing. I am not sure if I remember his exact wording. He told me the car also "learned" our driving habits and the computer adjusted accordingly. He said it was possible since we did not live in larger city and did not normally drive the car like it had been driven the past 5 days, that could also be contributing to the odd function. He recommended I fill up again and watch it. Get back home and fill up where I normally get gas and back into our "regular" driving routine. I filled up again and drove 300 miles home. The rattle seemed to have lessened and is not as loud as it was. I can get the rattle to happen still at lower rev right before the car will downshift on acceleration. I have had the suggestion of putting some "gas treatment" and "water remover" in and running that through the next couple of tanks of gas. I have always put 87 octane or higher in the car. Otherwise, the car runs beautifully, and we are still in love with our new CX-5. Being a new Mazda owner (I purchased a used 2005 3 hatchback a couple years back) I am learning how Mazda is different than other car manufacturers and how they "sound" different because of the compression ratios and such. Is this just something else that possibly I had not noticed before this trip or is somewhat "normal" for Mazda? Mind you the car seems to drive fine, and everything seems and feels normal, I can just sometimes hear this rattle at that specific time when downshifting on acceleration.

I would love any feedback, suggestions, or guidance anyone more familiar with the Mazda brand, especially the CX-5.

Respectfully,

Brent

If the Mazda technicians aren't worried about it and it drives normally I wouldn't worry.

Thank you. I am not sure what they actually looked at, if anything, I am beginning to think it was just bad gas

I would try some 89 octane fuel and if it doen't do it then the knock sensor may be faulty. I assume no CEL is on. If caused by a lean fuel mixture, you would have a CEL. Ed

No CEL. I am running tank through of higher octane now, but I can still get it to do it. :(

Back