Rattle coming from front passenger door ~ 2017 CX-5

I have this rattle as well, it's coming from under the passenger seat belt shroud, it's a wire or something rattling , I tilted my seat way back so it touched the passanger seat and put it back to the original position, then the noise seemed to go away. A few weeks later I heard it again but then it went away on its own. I also had this same problem on the same seat in my 2017 Camaro SS, I ended up removing that plastic cover and taping a wire loom with special rattle squeak tape and that fixed it

I said this near the beginning of this thread, under that cover on the side of the passenger seat there are cables and wires, it is most likely one of them vibrating on the plastic as you go over bumps or choppy roads.

Alright I am obsessed with rattling sound and I have found/ added so many acoustic canceling foam and pads all over my 2017 CX5. Here are some things I found when it comes to passenger side. I have similar finds all over my car. try this as your DD to narrow down on the source. Sometimes your ears and eyes plays tricks on you and think the source comes from one place but in reality is somewhere else

1. Grab the passenger Seat belt and lock it with no passenger on the seat. Some times the seat belt lock shakes and hit the B pillar.
2. The actual seatbelt lock release "RED BUTTON" vibrates a lot and hits the center console I have added some foam there. Also next time when you go over any bump try to squeeze the center console with you right hand placed on the center console side facing passenger side and pull the console towards you and use your right leg and push the center console towards the passenger side as if you are compressing the console left and right of the gear shifter. you actually get rattles and plastic squeaks from the console.
3. IF you have a flash light and see underneath the Glove box there is actually a DUCT that connects to the center console and hangs down for your ventilation for the foot. That shakes and causes sound.
4. Some times our ears play tricks. it is best when you ride in different seat positions to eliminate the source. I found that in my GT the mirror actually shakes a bit I need to tighten the bolts. Also the are couple wires that go to the rain sensor, camera and the mirror that was hitting the platic cover so I had to fix that as well.
5. Because I deadened the rattles so much in my car I hear a very small rattle occassionally what it seems like from the trunk. It only happens when I go over small quick consecutive bumps. The second unsolved is from my left suspension when I go over a pot hole less than 20 mph I hear a metal bending sound seems like a sound you would get in a truck bed when you are offroading or when the chassis is stress strained bent.

IF you guys want I will add pictures or create a thread of all the sound dampening I did so far and others can share their findings on what they did to eliminate the BSR issues. My car is only 2 months old so I am doing very little by addressing easy removal/installation plastic covers. I haven't gone crazy by removing All door panels, Seats, center console and parts of IP/ Dashboard.

Last edited:
It is really bugging you, get a few friends or family members to go on a long test drive and see if they can pinpoint the rattle

I have done that also, but it seams to me that they can not pinpoint the rattle, they all hear it cumming from different locations in front passenger side

Alright I am obsessed with rattling sound and I have found/ added so many acoustic canceling foam and pads all over my 2017 CX5. Here are some things I found when it comes to passenger side. I have similar finds all over my car. try this as your DD to narrow down on the source. Sometimes your ears and eyes plays tricks on you and think the source comes from one place but in reality is somewhere else

1. Grab the passenger Seat belt and lock it with no passenger on the seat. Some times the seat belt lock shakes and hit the B pillar.
2. The actual seatbelt lock release "RED BUTTON" vibrates a lot and hits the center console I have added some foam there. Also next time when you go over any bump try to squeeze the center console with you right hand placed on the center console side facing passenger side and pull the console towards you and use your right leg and push the center console towards the passenger side as if you are compressing the console left and right of the gear shifter. you actually get rattles and plastic squeaks from the console.
3. IF you have a flash light and see underneath the Glove box there is actually a DUCT that connects to the center console and hangs down for your ventilation for the foot. That shakes and causes sound.
4. Some times our ears play tricks. it is best when you ride in different seat positions to eliminate the source. I found that in my GT the mirror actually shakes a bit I need to tighten the bolts. Also the are couple wires that go to the rain sensor, camera and the mirror that was hitting the platic cover so I had to fix that as well.
5. Because I deadened the rattles so much in my car I hear a very small rattle occassionally what it seems like from the trunk. It only happens when I go over small quick consecutive bumps. The second unsolved is from my left suspension when I go over a pot hole less than 20 mph I hear a metal bending sound seems like a sound you would get in a truck bed when you are offroading or when the chassis is stress strained bent.

IF you guys want I will add pictures or create a thread of all the sound dampening I did so far and others can share their findings on what they did to eliminate the BSR issues. My car is only 2 months old so I am doing very little by addressing easy removal/installation plastic covers. I haven't gone crazy by removing All door panels, Seats, center console and parts of IP/ Dashboard.

I think if you can add pictures that would help a lot.

I have done that also, but it seams to me that they can not pinpoint the rattle, they all hear it cumming from different locations in front passenger side
Have you checked under the passenger seat for loose wire that's touching the seat (uhm) The wiring is for the power component of seat

Agree it’s worth a try. My sunroof shutter rattles when it’s partially open and that sounds like it’s coming from anywhere but the roof

Ok. This is out of left field but try and get someone to hold the cables behind the rear vision mirror. Mine were rattling and I thought it was something in my dashboard

There is only one wire that I can get to behind rear view mirror and it is not touching anything, the rest of the wires are covered by plastic cover.

What type of noise is it? like squeaking, rattling.

Do you hear it when going over big bumps on a potholes in high speed / low speed,

or you hear it on a smooth road going over small imperfection like a repaired patch work on a road in high / low speed. Does it sound like two plastic components hitting or a wire on plastic I will send the pictures of the duct soon. try these to see its not these suspects.

1. Push as hard as you can with your Right leg and Right hand together on the console in the direction of the arrows. To eliminate the console. Do in speeds less than 40mph slower the better.

2. After that secure the Seat belt passenger side and go over the bump the slowest speed you think you will hear the rattle. to eliminate the seat belt.

3. I will show the duct after I get access to it. You need to be a little flexible and need flash light to take that picture under the Glove box.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Back