Rapid clicking sound when starting car

chris.mp5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5 2.0
Hey guys! I've owned this car for awhile now. Bought a new car and basically stored my Protege5 in the garage. Been awhile since it started and it never really had any problems before until now. Anyways, obviously I knew the battery would be dead. So I charged that, waited for a bit and as soon as I start the car, I hear rapid clicking sound. Help? Sorry if this was posted before. Currently on my phone and it's a pain in the ass searching. Based on what I know, I was told that since its an old battery, it doesn't have enough amps which is required for the starter. In that case then a new battery would fix this (I hope so). Although if that doesn't work, what other possibilities may it be? (starter? alternator?.... )Thanks!

Last edited:
Battery or corroded wires or poor connection. It may also be a starter motor thats no good, but clicking usually means that there is a relay thats coming on and off rapidly.

Does everything else work? Lights, player, etc.

I had a bad ground wire on my Ninja 250, did the same thing. Replaced the wire and its all good now.

Battery or corroded wires or poor connection. It may also be a starter motor thats no good, but clicking usually means that there is a relay thats coming on and off rapidly.

Does everything else work? Lights, player, etc.

I had a bad ground wire on my Ninja 250, did the same thing. Replaced the wire and its all good now.

Thanks for the reply! By the looks of it, yes, the lights, player and all that seems to work fine. I jumped start it awhile back in January seems to work fine. Haven't started it since. Something is telling me its the battery. (hopefully) It's been stored in the garage so its not like it experienced the wrath of snow and rain.

Thanks for the reply! By the looks of it, yes, the lights, player and all that seems to work fine. I jumped start it awhile back in January seems to work fine. Haven't started it since. Something is telling me its the battery. (hopefully) It's been stored in the garage so its not like it experienced the wrath of snow and rain.

So I misread your OP, I thought you said you got a new battery...

In any case, it most likely is the battery. Just put a multimeter across the leads of the battery and watch it when you crank. If it has internal shorting, you will see the battery drop below 12V, maybe 8 maybe 2, all depends on how many cells are shorting out. And then you will know for sure that your battery is toast.

Back