random missfire?

tweety2300

:
2001 mazda protege mp3
ok so every once in awhile my car will feel like it misses but it does so so violently its like it completly cuts off for a second or 2 while driving. it also sometimes does it while idleing but rpms will drop to around 600 and come back up and be fine. i do not have a cel and it has never flashed when it does it. im going to be replacing the plugs wires and coil packs which have 150k on them (not sure how they lasted this long) but is there something else that could be causing it? it almost seems as if the car is completly shutting off it actually jerked me forward the other day. ive never seen a missfire like this. it also happens maybe once a month. any ideas besides the usual?my precat is already bad some im not too worried about it right now

ok so the coil packs finally crapped out on me so im glad its not a special issue. my question is what do i do about the plug wires i know one runs straight down from each coil pack but what about the other 2 guy at autozone wasnt exactly helpfull. the only ones that looked right were duralast but it was 40 bucks for 2 wires which seems a little high to me

Back