Rally Armor Mudflaps

Badinfluence

:
09 RX8 R3
Has anyone else had trouble with RA UR Mudflaps?

I have found several forums having the same experience as myself with one flap just jumping ship without any warning. Mine lasted less than 50 miles. Of course I contacted RA and they offered me a replacement solution? What was that, we will offer to SELL you one mudflap. Yep, we sent you a product with a design issue and we will fix it by selling you another one. Great customer Service. That is the Short Version

Here is the long one:
I installed my RA mudflaps on a Sunday a few weeks ago, following their directions to the letter. They were not easy to follow, but after reading them a few times, I finally was able to follow them. I test fitted them and made sure everything was snug and couldn't be ripped off accidentally. I took a 10 mile test drive and everything was still perfect.

Side Note:
One thing I noticed is there is almost no space between the top mount point and the top of the flap. RA tried to fix this by adding a hard plastic washer. This proved to be a wash.

I drove to work Monday and Thursday of that week (all interstate on Flat roads). Thursday night a roommate noticed my Mudflap was missing on the rear passenger side. Flustered I looked around the garage for it, but couldn't find it. I then checked the screws sure they were missing, and they were tight as a drum, but the top hard plastic washer was somehow missing. Since I had driven less than 50 miles, I was a little disappointed. I emailed Rally Armor using their site's email function, and 2 weeks went by.

After 2 weeks enough was enough. I called them and asked them if they got my email. They said no, so I explained the situation. I spoke to a tech named John, and he seemed to be friendly and wanted to help. He said that they would definitely replace it, but he needed to make it an email. I explained my thoughts on the failure, and ever offered a cheap way to fix it. He seemed very interested in it, but wanted to have it included in the email to forward to the product designer. I said no problem and got their direct email to email instead of the site's module. I emailed in and got a VERY different response..

Initial Response
Badinfluence said:
Greetings,
I called and spoke to a technical advisor ( john) on the phone and he requested I relay some of the information I provided. I will outline the problem I had then discuss a solution.

Problem: I installed a set of Rally Armor Black Polyurethane mudflaps on my Mazdaspeed 3 on a Sunday. (Car has stock Suspension and Stock Ride Height) I followed the directions to the letter and made sure everything was tight and installed properly. I drove less than 100 miles without ever parking at an elevation or making any hard turns and the following Saturday I noticed the Passenger side mudflap was completely gone. Confused I checked the holding mechanism and it was tight and unmovable with the correct distance where the mudflap should be. In addition to this the top plastic washer was completely missing. I checked the other 3 mounts and they all had the washers and were just as tight as the first washer. I checked the other 3 flaps and holding mechanisms and they are all tight as a drum.

Hypothesis: The only theory I have is that they slot cut in the mudflaps is too close to the top of the flap leaving less than a 1mm of real estate to cling to. The plastic washers help, but they are only on 1 side of the flap. The 1mm real-estate is enough to heat up with friction and cause structural compromise. Without any hard driving I see no reason why the flap would have become dislodged and fallen off. I am located in Sugarland, Texas and we have excellent flat roads here that are constantly kept up. The only thing we have more of than other places is Wind and Humidity. (Two factors of friction)

I spoke to someone on the phone and he said it might be possible to replace the flap. I would be ok with this, but my preference would be to receive 4 mudflaps at a reduced cost without any holes drilled in them whatsoever. One thing I noticed is the slot cut in them allows vertical movement that combined with airflow could have let to the flap being torn off. I would drill a hole at the correct measurement a little lower so I can get more real estate between the flaps top edge and the amount in between. I would then add a bolt through the factory housing and stick a nut on it locking it to the frame. I would then add 2 rubber washers to the hole I just drilled install the mudflap, and install another 2 rubber washers, then add a Nylon locking nut. (Then cut off the excess thread). This would make the install more permanent, but the flap would NOT move in any way because it would be smashed in between 2 rubber washers on both sizes adding additional resistance to the polyurethane, and prevent vibrations from tearing off the flap. You could also use 1 plastic washer, 1 Rubber washer, mudflap, 1 rubber washer, and 1 plastic washer and accomplish the same thing.

I am on my work computer, so excuse how terrible my drawing is, but here is the way I would do it.
(Attached to Post)

If you are willing to send me the uncut flaps to free, I will take pictures and document the whole process for your team to analyze and possibly use. I like money, but improving processes is where my heart really lies. I run a crew of Mazda enthusiasts in Houston and we love to help other motorists. We constantly have people asking us who makes the best mud flaps, and who do you think we say? Duh Rally Armor. I LOVE your mudflaps, and have no ill will or hesitation to use them again. I just would like to make my own hardware mounting solution to prevent failure.

Rally Armor Response (Due to their copyright of their communication I have to paraphase it)

The rep who replied quote their FAQ saying that in a reverse parking scenario the flap would get ripped off. He also went on to say that I could purchase a replacement with the original receipt.

They also said they would not provide a modified version of their product.

Badinfluence said:
I respectfully disagree. The flaps tolerances should prevent a failure like this. If the distance around the flap was increased even a millimeter it would accept more tolerances. When I spoke to John he seemed to want to forward this to the product designer. Regardless here is the receipt.

Rally Armor Response (This response did NOT contain a copyright so I can share it)
Rally Armor said:
Attached is a copy of your invoice. Please call us at 718-440-9311 or
email support@rallyarmor.com with your credit card information so we
can process your order.
All the best,
Team R/A

This message contains Invoice #10064 from Rally Armor. If you have
questions about the contents of this message or Invoice, please
contact Rally Armor.

Rally Armor
PO Box 2216
Astoria, NY 11102

718-440.9311

sales@rallyarmor.com
<Rally Armor-Invoice-10064.pdf>

This was more or less a bill for 38 bucks for JUST a replacement flap of the original flawed design.

Badinfluence said:
Lets back up and review. I received a defective flap, reported it,
waiting almost 2 weeks for a response, and had to call today. I
explained the defect, how to fix it and offered to pay if the mud
flaps didn't come with the same possibly of defect. I was told it was
my fault, and asked to pay for a replacement instead of the right
thing to do which is replace it. 37 dollars?! For a defect that could
and more than likely came from the factory. I am not interested in
another mudflap that is going to fall off because it can't handle the
limited amount of air the tire provides. I followed the directions to
the letter and install everything thr correct way. There is nothing
rally about this. If this is the way we are going to do
business, not only can you count me out, expect to loose customers. I
really could care less what your FAQ says, your product didn't last a week
of light use, what do you think will happen after 1 sporty run?
Funny how the mounting hardware didn't move the slightest and the
other 3 flaps are just fine.

Formally,
Bothered customer

At this point I am wondering if I overlooked the fact that the UR was weaker on the flap that came off. I checked the other 3 again just to be sure, and they looked over and were nice and tight

Rally Armor Response (Paraphrased due to copyright)
The rep stated they are assisting me with the single mud flap to avoid paying for a whole set. (No sympathy at all)

He stated they cannot provide a free lifetime replacement for ripped off flaps. He stated that they have been mounted to many cars for years. (Funny how I found a bunch of forums stated otherwise)

They stated that their mud flap "would not withstand the force of a vehicle backing up into the product."

Then they asked how they can assist with the replacement flap.

Wow. So basically if you back up, your warranty is void. That is what I got from that response. **** you, you backed up. We just know you did, and **** you pay me.

badinfluence said:
I wouldn't buy another set if your product can't last a week. 37 bucks is
1/4 of the cost I paid originally, and that isn't doing me any kind of
favor. I can buy polyurethane sheets for the cost of 1 of your "favor" your
giving me. Lifetime and 1 week is not the same thing. Driving a car 5 times
shouldn't tear off your product. You have no clear idea that backing up
ripped it off, and if you did you should tell everyone in the directions
that driving backwards voids their warranty.

I love the excuse of it works for everyone else. If it really did, than
there wouldn't be a support department now would there. Considering you had
an excuse to give me explain to me how they work without issues on every
else's car? Also tell me how you know that it works for everyone else. I
want to learn to be telepathic too.

You can just cancel the invoice, ill cut my own mudflaps, show everyone I
can reach how to do the same. Hell ill even offer to cut then for free.

I am just taken back by your customer service. Blaming some one because you
would rather not fess up to several flaws in your design is frankly a new
level of fail. Even if I backed up and broke it off, it would be in the ONLY
place I back up anytime I drive my car, IN MY DRIVEWAY.

I pled with you to reconsider, and answer my questions. If you don't I am
not going to be bothered, I would rather had the experience of helping
people with their cars.

Rally Armor Response (Paraphrased due to copyright)
They said sorry they will not modify their product, they said they provided a "Replacement Solution" the same day, and went on to say mishaps and accidents happen and they wanted to assist.

So basically again **** you, we sent you a response (bill) the same day (not true), and that I backed into them and broke it off.

badinfluence said:
A bill isn't a replacement solution. A replacement solution is what I provided for, for free.

Sorry to hear you won't fess up to a problem and help your customer.

2 weeks later isn't same day. I used your email system on your website that emails you. If your email was listed I would have emailed you directly and we wouldn't even be discussing this.

People who break products and lie about them don't understand how they work, let alone how to fix them. Blaming your customer, especially one who asks for help and offers to help in return is not customer service.Ill make sure that everyone understands that in order to back up you have to remove your mudflaps, and that they might just jump off the car and run away for no apparent reason.

I find this funny. I just backed up my car 20 times and not 1 of the 3 flaps is loose. I also just tried to rip your product off my car because I don't want it on my car and I can't even with vise grips.

Have a nice day, and I hope you learn how to sell and support a product one day.

Lets recap here
I

• Sent them an email using their site on their webform which got lost or ignored
    Called in and discussed the failure and was promised a replacement
    Explained why the product failed
    Provided 2 ways to improve it at zero cost to them
    Requested a replacement
They

• Told me "no" and rejected both my improvements without a reason
    Quoted some FAQ that has nothing to do with the problem I actually had
    Ignored the fact that their product might actually have a design flaw or a factory issue with the UR.
    Sent me a bill for a replacement and said that they can't provide a replacement for 3 days of drive calling it a "Lifetime Replacement"
    Were not only rude about it ignored the plea of a customer who really just wanted to help.

So here is me notifiying you that you are not allowed to back up with Rally Armor Mudflaps.

You can find the material they use for about 60 bucks to make 3 flaps, and use my design to mount it. I am making a write up on what parts and how-to make your own flaps. It really isn't worth the hasstle of paying for them (Expensive), trying to understand their directions (poorly written), having to jack up your car and move it 3 times, getting under the car and mounting them, and then having them ripped off at the first instant you like the way they look. I am still unable to figure out how they got ripped off. Idon't buy the reversing s*** they are saying because they would be sitting right in my driveway or at my assigned spot at work, and I would not have to email them to figure it out. My car didn't once bottom out, and with 3 days of drive time, damn. Nothing Rally about them.

If you already have them and they aren't ripped off, my suggestion is take my design, drill a hole into the bottom of the flap, and also add a peice of bailing wire in the hole to hold the bottom of the flap on, and run it down the center of the flap so it can't escape or get backed into.

mudflaps.png

Parts Lists is:
Metal Screw or Bolt
Matching Size Nylock Nut
1 Metal or Plastic Washer
1 Rubber Washer
Mudflap (Duh)
1 Rubber Washer
1 Metal or Plastic Washer
Matching Size Nylock Nut

Aluminium Bailing Wire or a metal coat hanger if you heat it up

Last edited:
assuming that pic is looking at the rear passenger well, why is your screw going from the fender into the mudflap? it should be screw into the mudflap into the fender.
ive had mine on my car for a while now, but i have backed up into it once on a curb and it indeed did come off. it didn't rip the flap though so i was able to screw it back in. i cant remember the install exactly, but didn't you have to use self tapping screws?

Back