Radio / Speakers on CX-5 SPORT model

All right. I'll give it another try. I ran out of time for it this weekend, though.

I think my next 3 day weekend is Memorial Day so I'll give it a go then.

Thanks for the info, guys.

I think I missed it somewhere in this thread, but could someone recap which wires are positive and which are negative on all the speakers?

It would be most appreciated.

Also ...Have you guys been reusing the stock plastic (baffles??), that the old speakers are in, to install your new speakers? I figure since I'm just going to trash the old crumby speakers that I would try to reuse them and mount the new Polk speakers in them. It looks like a little Dremeling is necessary but I think I can do it. I want to reuse the simplicity of the "plug and play" system that they already have .... but I'm not very confident in soldering. Although I am willing to give it a go! :)

Thanks.

I think I missed it somewhere in this thread, but could someone recap which wires are positive and which are negative on all the speakers?

It would be most appreciated.

Also ...Have you guys been reusing the stock plastic (baffles??), that the old speakers are in, to install your new speakers? I figure since I'm just going to trash the old crumby speakers that I would try to reuse them and mount the new Polk speakers in them. It looks like a little Dremeling is necessary but I think I can do it. I want to reuse the simplicity of the "plug and play" system that they already have .... but I'm not very confident in soldering. Although I am willing to give it a go! :)

Thanks.
Many of use (probably most) have reused the plastic frames of the old speakers. Just need a knife to cut around the edge of the cone, and a pair of wire cutters to snip the magnet support arms. When I mounted my Polks, no dremeling was necessary. See here for photos (not mine): http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123829645-Speaker-pics

Not quite sure if your pos/neg question is about the factory speakers, but if so, see the attached for the wire colors to the pos and neg terminals.

Attachments

• SpeakerWireColors.gif
    SpeakerWireColors.gif
    32.6 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
I have soldered some wires and soldered the capacitor to it, so it hangs in there. What I would recommend though, is to wrap them in some sponge, to don't create unnecessary noise, when they dangle in there.

Has anyone installed component speakers for the back doors? Where did you put the tweeters?

Last edited:
How about running wires to the back pillars where bose has their 3 inch speakers And place polks 351s in there for the touring model without the bose system. Any input?

Many of use (probably most) have reused the plastic frames of the old speakers. Just need a knife to cut around the edge of the cone, and a pair of wire cutters to snip the magnet support arms. When I mounted my Polks, no dremeling was necessary. See here for photos (not mine): http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123829645-Speaker-pics

Not quite sure if your pos/neg question is about the factory speakers, but if so, see the attached for the wire colors to the pos and neg terminals.

Thanks, RedBaron.

You rock, bud!

That's exactly what I needed to see.

NOW .... Someone tell me about this Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack. Is it really so simple to install in the CX-5? Who's done it? An do you have any pics of the install or instructions?

Thank you.

The front ones, I have installed in the little triangular plastic piece by the mirror and the rear tweeters I have installed just in front of the window switches. I also have the Polks in the dash.

The front ones, I have installed in the little triangular plastic piece by the mirror and the rear tweeters I have installed just in front of the window switches. I also have the Polks in the dash.
Does it sound like too much treble?

I was afraid of that myself, but it's not. I'm at -1 on the settings, listening on HD radio between 24-52(!) and it's just right. They are not that "loud". The base, it's amazingly deep and hard hitting and they are still powered from the factory radio.

Are they as loud as stock? And do they still respond as well at lower volumes? what did you do or are planning on doing with the stock tweeters from the dash?

Last edited:
What I have noticed, that they are actually are louder, then the stock ones. After installing them, I had to use lower volume with these. The stock ones had a muddy base, these have a nice deep hard hitting base. Though, they will pretty soon deliver only midds and highs only, since I will be installing two amps and a subwoofer.

NOW .... Someone tell me about this Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack. Is it really so simple to install in the CX-5? Who's done it? An do you have any pics of the install or instructions?

Same here - ordered on from Amazon but not here yet...

Same here - ordered on from Amazon but not here yet...

Then you, sir, are the official "guinea pig" :) j/k

Seriously though .... when you get it, and if you install it before (or if) any one answers the question(s), please either post pics of the install or detailed instructions as well as your overall satisfaction with it.

Thanks.

Anyone still has the stock dash tweeters from their non bose system? And are you willing to part with them if you dont need them?

Then you, sir, are the official "guinea pig" :) j/k

Seriously though .... when you get it, and if you install it before (or if) any one answers the question(s), please either post pics of the install or detailed instructions as well as your overall satisfaction with it.

Thanks.

Will do. I've already installed the 8in. Lanzar VX830 speakers in the front door. When they arrive I'll next install the Polk DB351s to replace the dash tweeters, and lastly install the Alpine KTP-445U amp. The main issue I anticipate with the amp is figuring out the speaker pinouts on the back of the head unit to wire into. Some other posts on this forum re: replacing the head unit should help.

Besides taking pictures I plan on recording a sample with my digital PCM recorder (Tascam DB-07MKII) with each speaker/amp upgrade, with the head unit set to the same level so I/we can compare the difference each upgrade made (or not). Stay tuned...

How about running wires to the back pillars where bose has their 3 inch speakers And place polks 351s in there for the touring model without the bose system. Any input?
Will taking dash tweeters and runnung the wires to connect them in the d pillars tomorrow. Still looking for a pair of stock tweeters though to put back in the dash.

Back