Radiator Room

NCoppersmith

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 3.5
I'm installing my steedspeed + GT28 turbo and need to replace the radiator. Which radiators will fit with the iON intercooler? I don't want to get something only to find out it doesn't fit well, or have a hard time getting it in. The corksport radiator is nice but I had a heckuva time getting it installed in my P5 with the flyin' miata turbo kit, so would like to avoid that with the MSP if I can.

What does the pipe routing look like on the ION? Is that the one that has the inlet and outlet on the same side, or is it the one that has all that piping in between the radiator and bumper??
I have a GT28RS and will be installing a either a steedSpeed or Thunder soon. Either way you need slim line fans or you can hack the s*** out of the plastic on the stockers to barley fit with the stock rad. when we installed my Corksport Rad. the move to the slim lines was inevitable.
The great thing about the GT28RS is that you can clock the Turbo in just a few minutes. Which means you can create a better route for your hot pipe!!!

The hot pipe goes straight up from the turbo, cuts across to the passenger side and drops down. I think I have plenty of room for the corksport with the spal fans, I got my manifold/turbo/downpipe installed and am hooking up lines and it looks like I have gobs of space compared to what I used to have. And I'm going full length, that stock POS is not worthy of my engine bay.

if your going to swap don't waste your time with the p5 or stock pro rad as the MSP is actually more efficient due to the core width

The hot pipe goes straight up from the turbo, cuts across to the passenger side and drops down. I think I have plenty of room for the corksport with the spal fans, I got my manifold/turbo/downpipe installed and am hooking up lines and it looks like I have gobs of space compared to what I used to have. And I'm going full length, that stock POS is not worthy of my engine bay.

if your going to swap don't waste your time with the p5 or stock pro rad as the MSP is actually more efficient due to the core width

That is the exact set up I have GT28RS slimlimes and the corksport full length rad fits like a dream, Also consider clocking your turbo it's super easy. you'll just have to modify/cut the cold pipe but the "L" pipe is all you'll really need, it cleaned up my engine bay a ton and saved me about 12-18" of piping I'll post some pics this week

I clocked my turbo like stock and the cold pipe runs through the front of the wheel well since the original owner modified the injen to an SRI. I should be fine, I test fitted the P5 radiator I had and it was still really roomy so I should be good. I just wish that Corksport carried the SPAL fans or something so I could just get it from one place, I hate ordering parts from all over.

I clocked my turbo like stock and the cold pipe runs through the front of the wheel well since the original owner modified the injen to an SRI. I should be fine, I test fitted the P5 radiator I had and it was still really roomy so I should be good. I just wish that Corksport carried the SPAL fans or something so I could just get it from one place, I hate ordering parts from all over.

Contact PG he can order everthing you need at one time...He did for me!!

I'll just woke up so when I finally get myself together I'll shoot a few pics of how I clocked my turbo down and how much pipe I saved. Since your going to have it all off anyway might as well do it now.

Here's a before and after of how tight it was running the hot pipe over the top with the GT28RS, slimline fans and Corksport radiator. the BOV was firmly pressed against the fan and the pipe that dropped down was firm against the ac line that runs down there. That metal line has been rubbed off quiet a bit I think that if I had left the pipes in there for the remainder of the summer the ac line would have finally rubbed through and failed!!

Attachments

• Hot pipe before.jpg
    Hot pipe before.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 512
  • Hot pipe after.jpg
    Hot pipe after.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 523
Here is the temporary set-up of my hot pipe. I have have another pipe that I need to cut and have welded that will get rid of all those exhaust pipes and couplers

Attachments

• Hot Pipe temp.JPG
    Hot Pipe temp.JPG
    494.7 KB · Views: 510
lol nice, thats exactly like my setup, the HKS is even in the same spot

What FMIC set-up are you running?? I see you have a P5-T by any chance do you have the MAM p5 gen 1 kit??
Cause that's what I'm running. I was reconfigured by the PO of the kit to run on a stock mounted MSP turbo. I ran it that way until I was able to clock the turbo down and am in the process reconfiguring to work like it was designed to

From this angle it looks low but it really isn't that much lower then the j pipe. I'm going to reclock the turbo a few degrees to the front when I install the Mani or new DP to move that pipe over a few inches, then I can go up a little tighter. But either way it's not really low enough to hit anything

OOHH and for whoever cares this it the pipe that I was able to eliminate from the set-up. about 15" worth of pipe!!

Attachments

• extra pipe.JPG
    extra pipe.JPG
    691.2 KB · Views: 254
Problem with PG is he only has the AWR for the MSP's and Corksport radiators are way cheaper. :( (at least that's all he has listed on his website)

My Corksport came from Ken at PG and he installed it for me as well. Just send him a PM or post a thread in his section on here. I remember paying less then what Corksport was offering it for at the time!!

Nice. THanks for the info! I will probably be going this route with my intercooler set up.

Back