Radiator Hose Adapter size??

Hi guys I plan on installing an aftermarket water temp gauge and plan on using a radiator hose adapter to place the sensor in there upper radiator house but I seem many sizes available and am unsure which size to purchase?

Can anyone offer any insight and what size it best to purchase so that I can use with my 2002 P5?> 28mm, 30mm, 32mm?

Just an FYI... in case you're interested...

You could get a ELM 327 code reader and a smartphone with the Torque app (smartly installed on your dash somewhere) and get a real time reading of your temperature as well as any other info that you want to see (RPM, mpg, O2 sensors, fuel trim, voltage, read and delete any engine codes,.. etc. etc. etc. )

The temp gauge on our car is a "dummy" gauge. It's controlled by the ECU and is pretty much useless,... BUT there is accurate temperature data that the code reader can access and display for you.

(the stock temp gauge doesn't move from the half way mark until the engine is screeching hot,... by then it's probably too late,... )

Just an FYI... in case you're interested...

You could get a ELM 327 code reader and a smartphone with the Torque app (smartly installed on your dash somewhere) and get a real time reading of your temperature as well as any other info that you want to see (RPM, mpg, O2 sensors, fuel trim, voltage, read and delete any engine codes,.. etc. etc. etc. )

The temp gauge on our car is a "dummy" gauge. It's controlled by the ECU and is pretty much useless,... BUT there is accurate temperature data that the code reader can access and display for you.

(the stock temp gauge doesn't move from the half way mark until the engine is screeching hot,... by then it's probably too late,... )

thanks but i prefer to have the actual gauge.

Here's a link to a Pro Sport hose adapter. IIRC the P5 uses the blue (30mm) size. To confirm, try a search in the P5 section for the Pro Sport adaptor or you can pull the upper rad hose off and measure it. It will be a little messy but not too bad if you are careful.
http://prosportgauges.com/water-temp-sender-radiator-hose-adaptor.aspx

ive searched and cannot find a def answer. I am trying to decide if I should use this pro sport adapter or I found the how to on installing a water temp gauge sender by using home depot plumbing. I want something that will be easier to install. How sure are you about using a 30mm pro sport adapter?

I found this info on rockauto site regarding the upper radiator hose diameter

Inside Diameter 2 (mm) 31
Centerline Length (in) 12.5
Centerline Length (mm) 318
Number of Branches 0
Inside Diameter 1 (in) 1.06
Inside Diameter 2 (in) 1.21
Contains Spring No
Inside Diameter 1 (mm) 27

ive searched and cannot find a def answer. I am trying to decide if I should use this pro sport adapter or I found the how to on installing a water temp gauge sender by using home depot plumbing. I want something that will be easier to install. How sure are you about using a 30mm pro sport adapter?

I found this info on rockauto site regarding the upper radiator hose diameter

Inside Diameter 2 (mm) 31
Centerline Length (in) 12.5
Centerline Length (mm) 318
Number of Branches 0
Inside Diameter 1 (in) 1.06
Inside Diameter 2 (in) 1.21
Contains Spring No
Inside Diameter 1 (mm) 27

According to those, ID 1 is 27mm, and ID 2 is 30mm. Was there a diagram to go along with it?

You could go to a parts store and measure the hose for yourself, or pop your top hose off (engine cold obviously) and measure the nipple on the radiator.

I made one for a Polaris Ranger using galvanized pipe fittings. You'll need two hose barbs that match your hose diameter, a tee fitting that is the same size as those, and the required bushings to thread your sensor into the tee. PVC can melt, it needs to be either brass or galvanized.

Back