Rack on v. Rack off

Also .. I did get the filler strips for when the rack is off from the dealer when I bought the car. They were in the hatch back.

grishulia said:
I looks cleaner completely without the rack...
With only those fat black raised side bars it looks too top heavy...
With the complete rack on, including cross bars, it looks more complete...

Excellent breakdown. This makes me keep mine on. Thanks.

I like 'em off.. less noise with the roof open (since I got the moonroof option..)
The black covers came with my car when I bought it. If you check out my web site and look at the pics of my car with the flames, you can see what the mid blue 5 looks like without the crossbars.

the only rack i wont on my P5 better be on the chest of the broad in my passenger seat! I mean, s***, i got a damn car, wut i need a bike on the roof for. U wanna impress me, put the car on the rack of the bike, then ride that b**** up and down the street! It looks best w/ the rack completley off, the dealer can get u the clips to do this and the headliner has to be removed for this(quit time consuming)and YOU have to know the item # or the dealership(atleast mine) wont know wut the hell your talkin bout.

I wanted a roof rack for the utility it offers, but there was not a P5 in the right color and a roof rack available when we were ready to buy. Now I am in the process of getting all the pieces for a Yakima rack, which is much easier to put on and take off. The goal is to only put the rack on when we actually need to haul stuff up on top, then take it off and store it for the next six months...

I just took my rack off.. Damn its hot out... Anyway, I am not sure if I like it. I want to hear the difference with the sunroof open. But right now just for looks, it maybe back on today...

I like the rack on. I think it contrasts well against the yellow. Can't say that I've ever used for any carrying, though. And I don't mind the whistle. Just gotta turn the tunes up, pimpin'!

MrFoggy said:
I like the rack on. I think it contrasts well against the yellow. Can't say that I've ever used for any carrying, though. And I don't mind the whistle. Just gotta turn the tunes up, pimpin'!

Black stripes on yellow. Can you say Bumblebee? JK...:D

matallama said:
I wanted a roof rack for the utility it offers, but there was not a P5 in the right color and a roof rack available when we were ready to buy. Now I am in the process of getting all the pieces for a Yakima rack, which is much easier to put on and take off. The goal is to only put the rack on when we actually need to haul stuff up on top, then take it off and store it for the next six months...

Hey matallama,

Which Yakima are you going with? If possible, could you post a link with the info regarding where and how much? Thanks!!

EXA4DRIVER said:
Hey matallama,

Which Yakima are you going with? If possible, could you post a link with the info regarding where and how much? Thanks!!

I've got the Q-towers and crossbar set-up. You should go to the Yakima web site (www.yakima.com) and check out the rack configurator under "choose my rack." There are a lot of pieces and options you can go for, but the configurator will tell you what is needed minimum. If you go all out, it could get expensive. The basic costs are:

Q-towers (4): $125
Q-clips (4, specific to individual cars, Q-102 for P5): $50
Crossbars (2, 48" size): $45

Optional are lock cores for security: 4 for ca. $40
and the wind fairing to reduce noise: $50(?)

The basic set-up is about $220, not far off what the dealer option price is for getting a factory rack on a 2003.5 P5.
The good news is you can pick up a lot of this stuff used on eBay for about half price. Then you can mount both Thule and Yakima products on top, including roof boxes, bike racks, etc.

matallama said:
I've got the Q-towers and crossbar set-up. You should go to the Yakima web site (www.yakima.com) and check out the rack configurator under "choose my rack." There are a lot of pieces and options you can go for, but the configurator will tell you what is needed minimum. If you go all out, it could get expensive. The basic costs are:

Q-towers (4): $125
Q-clips (4, specific to individual cars, Q-102 for P5): $50
Crossbars (2, 48" size): $45

Optional are lock cores for security: 4 for ca. $40
and the wind fairing to reduce noise: $50(?)

The basic set-up is about $220, not far off what the dealer option price is for getting a factory rack on a 2003.5 P5.
The good news is you can pick up a lot of this stuff used on eBay for about half price. Then you can mount both Thule and Yakima products on top, including roof boxes, bike racks, etc.

Thanks for the info kind sir!!!!

I just recently took mine off. My wife likes them on, but I like them off.

I also just lowered my P5, but when I took the racks off it made it look even lower.

Easy way to trick the eye.....

Back