Quiet Mods

xraytedjim

:
Mazda CX-7 / Mazda 6
Hi All,

I've just recently bought my 2008 GT CX7 and am excited about adding some much needed mods to it (much to the dismay of my wife.) Which there-in lies the problem. I would like to do some upgrades, but her big thing is 'noise'. If it was just my car... I would have all the CAI/BOV/Exhaust/TMIC upgrades I could get.

My question is: What upgrades would you suggest that aren't going to significantly increase the noise?? I personally love the sounds that the car/engine make, but... she doesn't.

Any suggestions as to maybe which CAI / BOV / BPV 's, etc. will increase performance, but not make it significanly louder??

Thanks for your help

Get an BPV with the stock box, and a TMIC, a sedate exhaust, like maybe CP-E wouldn't sound too loud, intakes will definitely make more noise, but the music would have to be off to hear it, it's easily drowned out with music.

Which BPV would you recommend?? I've heard a few sound samples of the different ones and the distinctive "whoosh" sound. Anything that isn't as noticeable?? Once she starts hearing those crazy ass turbo sounds coming from the engine and it's (spank)

also just to throw it out there, the Blitz SS or DD BOV isn't loud at all, I think you would notice it and it'd give you your pleasure while the wife wouldn't really hear it. I recently went on a rampage of BOVs and ended up with five, trying different ones out, I decided that the Blitz wasn't loud enough for the msp and took it off, but if you are looking for quite but still you can tell it's there, it's a winner. I don't really know too much about the CX-7, that's why I am cruising this section for alittle bit. I have 4 more payments then I am considering picking up a CX-7, but I want to know more about what I can change with it. I don't mean to thread jack but I am lookgin on info for if it is possible to do the turbo upgrades that are available for the 3s and 6s on the 7? I am getting older and would like to move on to a bigger vehicle but I can't really give up my desire to make things faster. The msp will become my dedicated racer after that so I want a nice fun daily. I am considering the CX-7 (and whatever I can upgrade on it without being obnoxious), MS6 with ATP upgrades or a RX-8 with a Pettit Racing SC. I am worried I'll miss on havig a manual if I get the 7.

You can always have a UK Manual CX-7 for about 53K not including import fees.

But you can have lots of things done, Fuel pump, Standback(hard wired for now) BPV, BOV(not recommended, this car should only run in a 100% recirc mode, so why waste the extra dough on a BOV when you only need a BPV) TMIC, Exhausts, Braking upgrades, suspension upgrades, etc.. not a big aftermarket but things are available, if you want to do a Turbo, get a small one, not much bigger than stock, or with a dual scroll, more turbo lag in a 4000LBS SUV with an auto box can cause problems.

The motor mount, FYI is super soft and allows lots of engine movement(absorbing of engine power of course), I plan on doing some epoxy on a new mount, possibly starting a Group thing or something.

Sounds good, I think I'll pass on the Euro version. Alot of the BOVs available can recirc as well, the Blitz is one of those. The msp should be ran at 100% recirc as well, at least on stock computer. Most turbo vehicles only need a BPV, but BOVs are a little more fun. Most I have ever paid for one is $80 so I can't really complain. I haven't really looked into it, but is the engine layout the same as the 3 and 6? I appreciate the conversation, just trying to learn more about the vehicle. I'll be driving all fo them anyways to see what suits me better. I drove the 7 at Zoom Zoom Live and enjoyed it.
You can always have a UK Manual CX-7 for about 53K not including import fees.

But you can have lots of things done, Fuel pump, Standback(hard wired for now) BPV, BOV(not recommended, this car should only run in a 100% recirc mode, so why waste the extra dough on a BOV when you only need a BPV) TMIC, Exhausts, Braking upgrades, suspension upgrades, etc.. not a big aftermarket but things are available, if you want to do a Turbo, get a small one, not much bigger than stock, or with a dual scroll, more turbo lag in a 4000LBS SUV with an auto box can cause problems.

The motor mount, FYI is super soft and allows lots of engine movement(absorbing of engine power of course), I plan on doing some epoxy on a new mount, possibly starting a Group thing or something.

Yeah it's identical, just the CX-7 has a smaller inlet for faster spool.

As my name tells, I love my CX-7, I just wish I got a GT(I have a sport AWD), there is a difference, although I thought it wouldn't be that big, after a while it is, just aesthetics and creature comforts that I really enjoy in our S80.

(jacked)If the OP has any more questions I would be glad to answer them..

Last edited:
Quietest improvement you can do is, hold on. DRIVING SCHOOL! Yes that's right I said it, I was surprised no one had said it.

And yes the super sound really isn't that loud, you can barely hear it on my car at low boost but at high boost it sounds good.

One relatively easy mod is to remove the resonator from the intake airbox. This provides a 'free' 2inch diameter air intake hole from behind the front bumper. This allows the engine to breathe a little better than just through the rather restrictive snorkel.

Adds a little sucking noise at low speeds, but nothing noticeable. Does seem to improve response a little at all speeds...though I could just be imagining it!

:)

One relatively easy mod is to remove the resonator from the intake airbox. This provides a 'free' 2inch diameter air intake hole from behind the front bumper. This allows the engine to breathe a little better than just through the rather restrictive snorkel.

Adds a little sucking noise at low speeds, but nothing noticeable. Does seem to improve response a little at all speeds...though I could just be imagining it!

:)

Do you have any problems with rain with this mod. My roomate did this to his Speed 6 and his air filter is soaked after driving in heavy rain.

hi awmustang

funny enough, I just thought about this yesterday, and though we don't get much rain here, I opened the airbox and put back the baffle plate. I hope that should 'deflect' any raindrops from directly hitting the air filter

The baffle plate seemed to hide the 'sucking' noise and I don't think it has any impact on performance...but who can tell. Driving this car seems different almost every time depending on air temp, engine temp, etc! :)

ALso I think the intake is approx 14 inches from ground and fairly well behind the front foglight and protected from the wheel by the plastic guards...

cheers

Satz

hi awmustang

funny enough, I just thought about this yesterday, and though we don't get much rain here, I opened the airbox and put back the baffle plate. I hope that should 'deflect' any raindrops from directly hitting the air filter

The baffle plate seemed to hide the 'sucking' noise and I don't think it has any impact on performance...but who can tell. Driving this car seems different almost every time depending on air temp, engine temp, etc! :)

ALso I think the intake is approx 14 inches from ground and fairly well behind the front foglight and protected from the wheel by the plastic guards...

cheers

Satz

The plastic gaurds that you speak of have slats (openings) on them in the Speed6. I'll haven't really thought to check if the CX-7 has those same slats or if it is solid plastic.

If it's solid plastic I wouldn't be too worried.

on the 7, the plastic guards appear to be solid, but there are still gaps that will let some water splash through. After all, when I opened them up I saw small traces of mud dried on the 'hidden' parts!

cheers

Satz

Back