Quick tranny fluid question

Matrix

:
Silver MSP
I'm going to be buying some Redline MT-90 transmission fluid but I don't know how much to purchase. What is the transmission fluid capacity for a Mazdaspeed Protege?

Thanks!

think the tranny is same in PR5......3 qts!
edit: 2.9 to be exact.......just put in 3 and call it a day!

Yes, it is a great upgrade to do to the car. I just put the Kartboy shifter bushings on and if I had to choose between doing one or the other, I'd definately recommend putting in synthetic tranny fluid. The Kartboys don't really seem to make much of a difference to the overall shifting. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

where can you buy the MT-90?? I know i found it somewhere, but i can't find it now.

I can vouch for the 2.9 quarts, although a brand new tranny for me started pissing it back out the fill hole at 2.8. No biggie. Just buy three and you're good.

FWIW, if you don't see much difference with the Kartboy bushing, realize that it's only a control rod bushing and not the same as shifter bushings. The control rod just stabilizes the shifter. Try the bronzeoil shifter bushings from Corksport. I just put all of them in (and Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid) and things definitely are more positive. Be sure to put M8 lock washers on the two shifter linkage bolts so you don't lose a nut like I did. That sucks. Also don't tighten them down too far. You'll understand why if you do.

What is involved in replacing the shifter bushings? Is it a major undertaking?
MrDiggler said:
I can vouch for the 2.9 quarts, although a brand new tranny for me started pissing it back out the fill hole at 2.8. No biggie. Just buy three and you're good.

FWIW, if you don't see much difference with the Kartboy bushing, realize that it's only a control rod bushing and not the same as shifter bushings. The control rod just stabilizes the shifter. Try the bronzeoil shifter bushings from Corksport. I just put all of them in (and Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid) and things definitely are more positive. Be sure to put M8 lock washers on the two shifter linkage bolts so you don't lose a nut like I did. That sucks. Also don't tighten them down too far. You'll understand why if you do.

Piece of cake. Easier than the Kartboy install, for sure. These go on each end of the shift rod, which is the one beside the control rod. The old bushings are plastic and mine popped right out. The only tricky part for me was figuring out how to bolt them back tight enough so the nut wouldn't loosen up and fall off, but loose enough that the shifter moved freely. The solution was to use a lock washer on each, and just snug it enough to flatten the washer.

I have had the good amsoil tranny fluid in for the last 25K and the stuff feels nice. Guess the tranny feels a little better in the cold weather over the dino stuff?

Will be good to well over 120K.........

-R

It's all up to personal preference and who you want to believe. The guys on the B15Sentra forum said a certain weight of tranny fluid worked best for their transmissions. MT-90 is 75W90 weight, and MTL is 75W80 I think. In the end you get close to 75W85. I tried it in my Lancer when I had it, and it worked great. So I tried it in my MSP, and it works great too.

Also, since you're in Falls Church maybe we could meet up and I could help you change the fluid. It's pretty quick now that I've done it twice.

how do you change tranny fluid in the MSP? i need to do mine but i havent had the time to look at it to see where. so could someoen point me in the right direction and not think that i am such a dumb @$$.

thanks...

Back