quick question

redpr5

:
2002 Protege5
if i drop the first cat off and run open header (just for fun for a little bit) will i run the risk of throwin a rod because of no backpressure?
i dont plan on driving it far, i just wanna hear how it sounds

Last edited:
It will not run very nice...and may cause problems...Also, could melt, burn, or start a fire...Not recommended...and it will just sound like a terrible exhaust leak...

Loss in power and super hot engine bay and elevated engine temps due to the hot exhaust going in the intake=bad. With a turbo dumped to behind the front wheel=quicker spool up but nothing but bad for NA at least as your only mod!

When the flange on my j-pipe broke I had to ghetto hold the j-pipe to the midpipe with lock wire for a couple days till my header came in. It was the most horrible sound ever. I wouldnt do it

idk cuz im bored and i was wondering how a camming protege would sound. we dropped the exhaust off my friends beamer and it sounded mean so i was like lets do it to mine too

i had to back my car into the garage with no exhaust manifold (with the hood open) cuz i had to take my header off to get it re-welded. it sounded disgusting and i threw a CEL right away

Mr.Ames said:
i had to back my car into the garage with no exhaust manifold (with the hood open) cuz i had to take my header off to get it re-welded. it sounded disgusting and i threw a CEL right away
haha yea. i didnt take it off. by the time i wanted to do it i had just finished reinstalling the driveshaft and exhaust on my friends 535i, and i was hella tired (and it was raining)

arcane73 said:
probably sound like a fart can.....without the can

(lol) besides no back pressure is bad for your EXHAUST VALVES! your exhaust not only directs spent air and carbon away from a 200 degree motor. The piping is designed in such away that with minimal effort by the enigine, the spent gasses are almost "sucked" out due in part of the diameter of the tubing and the amount of pressurized gas leaving the motor.....(blah) don't do it man.....

thejetman said:
(lol) besides no back pressure is bad for your EXHAUST VALVES! your exhaust not only directs spent air and carbon away from a 200 degree motor. The piping is designed in such away that with minimal effort by the enigine, the spent gasses are almost "sucked" out due in part of the diameter of the tubing and the amount of pressurized gas leaving the motor.....(blah) don't do it man.....
yea i was wondering about the backpressure issue, thats also why i was hesitant about it. i dont plan on doing it. hopefully someday ill have the money for a header and exhaust

Back