Quick question about the steering knuckle

slavrenz

:
2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
So last week I found out that my right front wheel bearing was bad again, after having replaced it only a year ago. I chalked it up to bad luck, and bought the materials to do the job again. I have my own press, so that wasn't an issue.

The bearing went in perfectly, and nothing was seized or anything. I even bought a new hub on the off chance that the old one ruined my bearing, but now a few days after getting everything reinstalled, the new bearing is bad again!

Is it possible for the steering knuckle itself to actually be out of round? I wouldn't think so, because it's made of cast iron, but I can't think of any other reason why my bearing would keep going bad.

When you pressed in the new one, did you ensure that you were only pushing on the outer rim of the bearing housing, not on the inner part that turns?

When you pressed in the new one, did you ensure that you were only pushing on the outer rim of the bearing housing, not on the inner part that turns?

Yes, I pressed the new bearing in with the old bearing and a plate on top, so that every exposed top surface of the bearing was being pressed on evenly.

So was the bearing "good" for a few days before you got the same symptoms again? Or did replacing the bearing make no difference at all? Perhaps it's related to something else?

Did you torque the axle nut with a torque wrench or an impact? Impact candamage bearings.

So was the bearing "good" for a few days before you got the same symptoms again? Or did replacing the bearing make no difference at all? Perhaps it's related to something else?

The bearing was good for a few days, and it is definitely now bad again. I took everything off and you can hear and feel the hub grinding in the bearing.

Did you torque the axle nut with a torque wrench or an impact? Impact candamage bearings.

Yeah, I'm thinking now that this was maybe the cause. I've always used an impact wrench to take off the axle nut, but this was the first time I used one to put it back on.

I did everything else by the book, and I believe that this was why it went bad again more than I believe that the knuckle itself is bad. It doesn't explain why it failed on me after a year the first time, but hopefully the new hub that I bought will make things better.

I've ordered a new bearing and I should be able to do the job again on Friday. Ugh, I hate repeating jobs because of something I f***ed up.

Yeah, I'm thinking now that this was maybe the cause. I've always used an impact wrench to take off the axle nut, but this was the first time I used one to put it back on.

I did everything else by the book, and I believe that this was why it went bad again more than I believe that the knuckle itself is bad. It doesn't explain why it failed on me after a year the first time, but hopefully the new hub that I bought will make things better.

I've ordered a new bearing and I should be able to do the job again on Friday. Ugh, I hate repeating jobs because of something I f***ed up.

Let me know if you discover anything on this... I've replaced my driver side wheel bearing 3 times in the 3.5 years I've had my protege. I've gotten several opinions on it and none seem to be anywhere near correct. So, currently I'm hoping I've remedied the problem and this new bearing (replaced most recently 2 months ago) will hold up...

Let me know if you discover anything on this... I've replaced my driver side wheel bearing 3 times in the 3.5 years I've had my protege. I've gotten several opinions on it and none seem to be anywhere near correct. So, currently I'm hoping I've remedied the problem and this new bearing (replaced most recently 2 months ago) will hold up...

Have you tried replacing the hub? What about torquing the nut with an impact wrench?

Have you tried replacing the hub? What about torquing the nut with an impact wrench?

Both hubs have been replaced. Pass. side bearing replaced once. I've replaced A LOT of suspension stuff and I'm hoping that now I won't have any issues with the wheel bearings anymore. lol Time will tell...

Both hubs have been replaced. Pass. side bearing replaced once. I've replaced A LOT of suspension stuff and I'm hoping that now I won't have any issues with the wheel bearings anymore. lol Time will tell...

The only other thing I can think of is an issue with your axle somehow stressing the bearing, or perhaps something with your braking system.

Very interesting indeed...

when you press the hub back into the bearing, you need to press the hub on by pressing on the inner race of the bearing.I made the mistake of pressing the hub in by pressing on the outside of the bearing and ruined the bearing before even installing the knuckle.

We're doing my front wheel bearings now and having a hell of a time pressing out the stock bearing.

So far we pressed out the hub, but getting the bearing out is damn near impossible. We noticed there was a snap ring in the knuckle, but that's out now.

Any input?

I don't have any input on your current issue, but if you suspect that the hub is somehow out of round, then you should at least measure it with some calipers before pressing in the new bearing. At the very least for satisfaction to know that it's perfectly round...

We're doing my front wheel bearings now and having a hell of a time pressing out the stock bearing.

So far we pressed out the hub, but getting the bearing out is damn near impossible. We noticed there was a snap ring in the knuckle, but that's out now.

Any input?

Try heating the steering knuckle to try and break the bond between the knuckle and the bearing.

Back