Questions on rims for MSP planning to get BBK

xtrememps

:
08.5 Crystal White MS3
Hey all, I know there's plenty of threads on fitment, styles, etc in here but I have a bunch of specific needs and I kinda want to get everyone's opinion/info on what I should do. Please note: I'm not exactly ready to buy since I'm just about to buy an expensive new alienware...but I will soon enough.

Ok, well I have an '03 Mazdaspeed and I've been on the boards for a long time but figured I'd wait to see all the stuff people were gonna do and what would come out for it before I start modding at all (since I know once I start I'm not gonna be able to save my money worth s*** hehe). So, I have a completely stock MSP, and I figure what better place to start than with wheels/tires...

After much thought, I've decided I definitely wanna go with Bronze 17X7.5's (those are the stock size, right? lol) I like the look of Rota's and Work's, etc. The thing that I'm concerned about is that I do plan on dropping my car, not too much but enough. And I also am interested in a Big Brake Kit, maybe StopTech.

So what wheels would fit that setup? Post pics, links, whatever....or just specs on what to look for in the offset of the wheels, etc. Or if they will work with spacers. Anyway, I'm done blabbing, this MSP will remain stock no longer. I'm going hardcore. (band2)

Edit, it's black mica btw.

Last edited:
if u do get a big brake kit, u may need 18's. my friend has wilwood's and i think 18 inch rims were just right... 17s would be too small... im not TOO sure on this however, please correct me someone.

as for offset, +48 and higher would be a good size. if u are not planning to really tuck (like u said, a small drop) then +48 and under is alright also.

this is just my 2 cents. anyone feel free to correct me.

gl!

Thanks, man keep the comments coming! Wheels suggestioins 17's or 18's would be fine. I'd prefer 17's for performance reasons but I guess 18's are pretty good if they're light enough.

Yeah, so I've read. I haven't been able to find any reviews for them though. If the wilwood kit works as well as the stoptech's do (I've heard many, many good things about them) then I'll just have to worry about the rims. Otherwise I'll have to see what will fit with the Stoptechs.

i was gonna get the stoptech kit...

I have 18" wheels with a 42 offeset.

They are the RH Evolution S7.

Now given that they are a 42 offset (instead of the reccomended 45 offset) assuming the spokes go out to the outer edge of the rim (like they do) you have more clearance for calipers than with a higher offset.

Additionally, the S7 spoke design bulges out just a hair past the outer edge of the rim right where the caliper would go (giving you maximum clearance), and the spokes are pretty thin.

When I printed out the pattern from the stoptech website and was getting ready to order their kit, I was shocked to find that i would have needed spacers.

That being said, I would be surprised if you could find more than a handful of wheels, especially 17s, that you can put on your MSP that will clear the stoptech caliper without spacers.

I also have heard tons of good things about stoptech and was gung ho to get their kit, and am sketchy on wilwood, but I think at this point if you want a BBK without spacers, wilwood is the (only) way to go.

If its stopping power you are after, do some reading up online (cant remember the links but theres a couple really good ones) and you will see that in a lot of cases, good OEM sized rotors and some news pads will provide you with more usable performance than a BBK, not to mention save you some money.

If you have tons of money and you really want to spend it, but dont want to run spacers, check with Rishie from AutoRnD. He was putting together a couple 4 corner endless brake kits for the protege to fit under most wheels. Basically using an OEM sized rotor (not included) and some 4 pot or 6 pot endless calipers pads and lines...

Awesome post, Slug420....by the way your name rocks (stoned) . I'm definitely looking for stopping power so I will keep the endless kit in mind. I'm just not too thrilled about staying OEM size. Wilwood doesn't sound that great since they don't have dust covers and this is my daily driver...So, if I really want to run the stoptechs I'll have to run spacers, which is starting to sound like the only way I'll be happy. What are the pro's/con's of running spacers?

well, pro could be sider stance I guess, thus more grip or something, less likely to roll in case thats an issue for you....

the one con that killed it for me, is someone along the way mentioned a safety issue eventually when u run spacers. something about throwing out a bearing and your wheel basically falling off the car....

they discuss it in this thread a little but how knows how definitive any of the opinions are. I would start a new thread about whether spacers were good or bad (in the suspension section) if you wanted to know

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56866&page=3&pp=15&highlight=spacers

Yeah, I was searching around for info on spacers and I got that. I'm not sure what I wanna do..

Meh, screw it I'm going with spacers. I plan on getting light-weight wheels anyway, and I don't drive my car on the track/really hard anyway. Gotta see if I can fit stoptech's with spacers on 17's now..or maybe 18's.

Back