Questions on OBDII scanner for 03 Protege

The check engine light came on in my car so I decided to get an OBDII scanner so I can check the code myself, rather then pay a mechanic $80+ to check it. I want to get a USB one that plugs into my laptop, preferably as inexpensive as possible without being a total piece of junk.

I read that there are different protocols of OBDII (ISO 9141-2, ISO 15765 CAN, etc). Which one does an 03 Protege use? Will any scan tool I buy work with all protocols?

Can anyone make a recommendation for a good inexpensive scan tool?

also if u want a scan tool that does more than just check and clear codes get the scangauge II

I went with the Equus 3130 CAN-OBDII Reader. It covers all the OBDII protocols, as well as the CAN protocol, and it records live data while you drive and you can hook it up to your laptop (via a serial cable tho, which is kinda lame.) Anyways, I found it on Amazon for about $175, and it also has an optional ABS scanner feature that you can purchase as well.

I agree there are cheaper non-USB code readers if OP's main concern is price.

Last edited:
By far the best decision (for me anyway) - get the USB laptop one. I have bought it from ebay and it can read codes, clear codes, see real-time data, heck I even modded scantool to capture live sensor data.
It's a bit hard with a laptop and all but for $40 you can't miss. One thought tho - get it off ebay, it's cheaper. And get the latest version, I think it's 1.3 not sure.

I don't have a code to read at the moment, but the Amazon one reads live data ok. It is the older 1.2a version though, so the Ebay ones pointed out by shadowncs seems to be a better deal, cheaper and newer.

Back