Questions in regards to the speed 6

desertmike680

:
06 MazdaSpeed 6
So i just got my pre owned 06 speed 6 GT with 10.5 k miles and I have some general questions:

1. Is the rear diff whine only present on random speed 6's or is every car? Is it a defect or is it a natural occurance?
2. Whats a good way to enhance the sound of the factory turbo winding up? I plan on purchasing the Turbo XS hybrid valve, I know that would help.
3. Anyone else agree that the factory exhaust could sound a little better like the speed 3? Whats a cheap way of getting that exhaust to sound like the speed 3 since its the same engine? That exhaust note on the sp3 is so freakin nice!

I love the car, and I'm really glad that their are so few of them. I was orginally looking at the WRX, g35 coupe, 350z, IS 300 and even a toyota fj crusier. But I got so sick of seeing them on a daily basis, I had to get something that is more difficult to find. Ok thats enough talking for me!

So i just got my pre owned 06 speed 6 GT with 10.5 k miles and I have some general questions:

1. Is the rear diff whine only present on random speed 6's or is every car? Is it a defect or is it a natural occurance?
2. Whats a good way to enhance the sound of the factory turbo winding up? I plan on purchasing the Turbo XS hybrid valve, I know that would help.
3. Anyone else agree that the factory exhaust could sound a little better like the speed 3? Whats a cheap way of getting that exhaust to sound like the speed 3 since its the same engine? That exhaust note on the sp3 is so freakin nice!

I love the car, and I'm really glad that their are so few of them. I was orginally looking at the WRX, g35 coupe, 350z, IS 300 and even a toyota fj crusier. But I got so sick of seeing them on a daily basis, I had to get something that is more difficult to find. Ok thats enough talking for me!

From my knowledge the rear diff whine is not on every speed 6... at least my friend has no signs of it.
Pull the resonator off the intake, usually located in the fender, or just get an intake kit.
With regards to exhaust... the cheapest way is to get an axle back setup... pretty much just mufflers.

can't answer all the Q.

My rear diff is still fine *knock on wood*, and i have the early model.

second a good way to wake up the engine and have the exhaust sound a bit more fierce, is to either go with a test pipe or doen pipe,( in my opinion) the BOV wont make your exhaust sound louder but it'll make the engine sound cool. my frist mod b4 anything else was the TP its reletivly cheap for its purpose and sounds good on the highway, but if you want real sound / performance go with a DP or better yet a magnaflo system.... have fun ;)

if you want a mean low rumble get the corksport 80mm dual exhaust. it isn't that expensive and the quality is awesome.

My car has the same low "whine", but it really doesn't bother me that much. I have heard that others have complained to Mazda service about it, but no one has stated that they've fixed it or not (that I saw). I've been debating taking it in, but knowing my Mazda Service people they would have the car for a few weeks trying to fix it, or screw something else up.

Start off one part at a time and build up, the BOV will give you the "psst" sound when you let off the gas. Otherwise it really gives back nothing for the money. Best bang for the buck is a CAI. It makes a huge difference in the sound and gives back around 20hp. It seems to really helps boost the low band. It will remove the resonator and air box from the engine compartment (right front).

I like the sleeper factor, and since the BOV doesn't really help with HP I avoided it (too ricey). I love the CAI for the sound though. It adds a deeper note t the engine at lower RPMs (parking lots) and a nice "whoosh" noise as it sucks in the air when the turbo really kicks in.

ETS, CorkSport, MagnaFlow (and a few others) make exhausts for the car. There are also several YouTube vids with sounds. Since I don't know what a MS3 sounds like you should check those out to start. Be aware some of the systems require you to ditch the exhaust trim rings, others don't.

Good luck, and congrats on the new ride!

second a good way to wake up the engine and have the exhaust sound a bit more fierce, is to either go with a test pipe or doen pipe,( in my opinion) the BOV wont make your exhaust sound louder but it'll make the engine sound cool. my frist mod b4 anything else was the TP its reletivly cheap for its purpose and sounds good on the highway, but if you want real sound / performance go with a DP or better yet a magnaflo system.... have fun ;)

spEl ChEKar BrOKan? (lol2)

Oh spell checker! I KNOW SPELL LIKE A 4th GRADER!!!!!!!!!

we need to get a spell check function here

1. I have a 2006, no whine here.
2. To enhance the sound of the turbo spooling up, go downpipe.
BUT, if you just want to add some turbo noises, get a CAI. You will hear all the air sucking in, and the whooshing of the by-pass valve (BOV), but you wont hear the high-pitched squeal of an aftermarket BOV. But, it still turns heads, and sounds mean.
3. Cheap replacement to get a better exhaust sound is to put in a test pipe in place of the second cat. Mine was $115 and made the exhaust sound like it had a set of balls, but definetly not loud, or anything like a Mustang GT, but just gave it an extra edge. If you have the money, go cat-back, but, just a quick fix is the test pipe.

Latest posts

Back