Questions for the Moderators

Doesn't matter what they see as long as you know that if you have to take them to court they can't try to submit those things as evidence against you.

I would love to see the legalese that would make that a possibility, but the fact is that online content gets used in lawsuits all the time.

Reasonable expectation of privacy
In Katz v. United States,[19] Justice Harlan issued a concurring opinion articulating the two-part test later adopted by the Court as the definition of a search for Fourth Amendment purposes: (1) governmental action must contravene an individual's actual, subjective expectation of privacy; (2) and that expectation of privacy must be reasonable, in the sense that society in general would recognize it as such.

In order to meet the first part of the test, the person from whom the information was obtained must demonstrate that they, in fact, had an actual, subjective expectation that the evidence obtained would not be available to the public. In other words, the person asserting that a search was conducted must show that they kept the evidence in a manner designed to ensure its privacy.

I would love to see the legalese that would make that a possibility, but the fact is that online content gets used in lawsuits all the time.

rightttttt.... corporations do NOT have the right to obtain "evidence" as one, they are NOT any division of law enforcement.. and two, they are trying to void warranty denial based off speculation and fictional data. Not to mention, any data taken, copied and used from a forum that is copyrighted, is now violating the posted TOS. The forum operator can use that against them and place a counter suit on them. Go talk to a lawyer JR...

lol I HIGHLY doubt that Mazdas247 is selling the owners up the river.

hell, I remember early last year Antoine was being subpeona'd for the records of a member who had modded his car and the engine blew. Antoine didnt want to give in then, I cant see why now would be any different.

hell, I remember early last year Antoine was being subpeona'd for the records of a member who had modded his car and the engine blew. Antoine didnt want to give in then, I cant see why now would be any different.

Which again proves my point, they have to request information from the site operator... they just cant take this information and run with it...

rightttttt.... corporations do NOT have the right to obtain "evidence" as one, they are NOT any division of law enforcement.. and two, they are trying to void warranty denial based off speculation and fictional data. Not to mention, any data taken, copied and used from a forum that is copyrighted, is now violating the posted TOS. The forum operator can use that against them and place a counter suit on them. Go talk to a lawyer JR...

Wow, I haven't been called "JR" in a long time... (peep)

from what i recall, they were asking for private info. something like pm's and the like.

i still dont see how you can get mad when you knowingly post information that will be accesible to the public through a basic google search. why cant mnao access forums, see what people are doing, and then deny their warranty work? it saves the company lots of money, and therefore benifts those that dont abuse the system.

its just like looking at facebook, myspace, and blogs to screen potiental employees. and firing someone based on what is found in those is not illegal. how is searching public forums any different?

from what i recall, they were asking for private info. something like pm's and the like.

i still dont see how you can get mad when you knowingly post information that will be accesible to the public through a basic google search. why cant mnao access forums, see what people are doing, and then deny their warranty work? it saves the company lots of money, and therefore benifts those that dont abuse the system.

its just like looking at facebook, myspace, and blogs to screen potiental employees. and firing someone based on what is found in those is not illegal. how is searching public forums any different?

i still want to know how they knew it was me when I had NO personal information linking me to my real name or persons. What they just took a good guess?

I don't know whether to roffle or bang my head against a wall.

This is EXACTLY the same scenario that happened with all the new MSP owners, back in the day when the MSP was first released and it was 'the' car to mod on this site. Mazda was denying warranty claims left and right, blaming aftermarket modifications on problems that weren't even remotely related. I went through it, too -- for one example, I had my dealership fail my MSP for inspection because they were thoroughly convinced my Injen CAI (which I'd had on for 8 months prior with no issues) had thrown a CEL code that had shown up the previous evening. It turned out to be a loose gas cap -- which I ALSO told the dealership, because I KNEW that's what the problem was -- but regardless, the dealership failed my car. They actually said to me, even AFTER the code was read and said 'loose gas cap' .. "No, that pipe is what's causing the problem." They actually said 'that pipe'. They didn't even know it WAS an intake.

And despite the MSP people pitching fits and trying to rally together and all sorts of attempts -- NOTHING came of it. Because in reality, this is a site on the internet, and they're the entire Mazda corporation. The same general rule is true now for all the MS3 people, since they're now the 'new' generation of 'the' car to mod on this forum.

The fact that people are somehow blaming the Mods for all this just blows me away. We have access to NOTHING. I don't have anyone addresses, phone numbers, IPs, PMs, NOTHING. And don't you understand -- a LOT of the mods went through this, too! Like I said above, I was denied stuff from dealerships because they said I voided my warranty! So the fact that the 'new' generation is turning around and pointing the finger at us -- are you kidding me? I'VE BEEN THERE.

The fact is -- if you're going to mod it, the dealership is gonna try like all hell to deny you anything and everything. That's the risk that comes with modding your car before your warranty expires. If you get lucky, you find a dealership that's willing to look the other way about your mods, and work with you on your repairs. If you're a normal person, you get shafted. And that's just the way it is. It sucks .. but that's how it goes in the tuner world.

I wish you the best of luck with what you're trying to do .. but please don't waste your time and your effort trying to blame the Mods here when we had absolutely nothing to do with any of it.

l_2f85f392d24a5e8a2acc064368e5157c.jpg

Funny he posted his and broke the same way i did but he was fine. If I had a FMIC and TBE maybe I would have got covered under warranty

l_2f85f392d24a5e8a2acc064368e5157c.jpg

Funny he posted his and broke the same way i did but he was fine. If I had a FMIC and TBE maybe I would have got covered under warranty

I wasn't trying to say it was reasonable, I'm just saying the information is there. Your situation really does suck. What part do you think your dealer had to play?

Just to add to what Rush said but from an admin view.

We've been subpoenaed once or twice for various things. Luckily, our actual data is housed by a canadian (enry). So for anything we get in the US.. we just advise them that it's not a US site. Thus far, no entity has seen it worth the trouble to do any kind of international subpoenas and we've never been tested by a Canadian court.

We do not ask for real names at sign up and will NOT give out any IP/email/other information to anyone about anyone. You the member has a responsibility to not do anything silly like post your license plates.

Lastly, moderators are not brought in from outside communities.. They are you with a bit more experience and longevity. Moderators are people that have slowly risen to be respected by their forum peers. When we see that happen, or another member/moderator notifies us that this has happened.. we then talk to the person about being a mod. And just like Rush noted, they are fighting the same battles you are.

I dont think it's a bad thing that this was brought up. We always want to quash things like this before rumors start flying. If you guys have any more questions.. shoot.

Re-opening and moving to Website Help / Feedback. Please keep your head on your shoulders when posting a response or a question for us. We would like to maintain an open and honest dialogue with everyone, we will not tolerate any drama or other BS. If things get out of hand, this thread will be closed again -- and permanently this time.

I posted this in another thread about this rumor:

--------

Mazda Forums is a community run by Mazda owners and enthusiasts and for Mazda owners and enthusiasts. While just like any very large forum, we sometimes make decisions that are not popular ones, or ones that even cause a small minority of users to pack up and leave the community, even maybe for other Mazda forums, to suggest that we would help Mazda USA to void the warranties of our members by openly providing IP addresses to aid in identifying our members and their cars, is completely irrational and downright absurd (in addition to being completely disrespectful of the people who volunteer their time to keep the forums running as smoothly as possible).

Mazda Forums has not, and never will, supply Mazda USA, Mazda North American Operations, or any affiliate of Mazda with IP addresses of our members to aid in identifying members for the purpose of voiding their warranties due to modifications, 'abuse', or any other reason. The fact of the matter is that despite the laws that force Mazda to prove that an aftermarket part was the direct cause of a failure, they have voided and will continue to void warranties because of modifications or evidence of abuse. Being able to 'pay to play' is something that everyone needs to consider before they modify their car in any way, or bring it to the drag strip, autocross, or track. While the chances of getting your warranty voided due to something minor like an intake are fairly low, it isn't 0.0%.

Mazda Forums is committed to this community 100% and will continue to be committed to this community 100% in the future (despite what some members may think or any 'conspiracy theories' out there). There is only one situation where we would even think about divulging IP addresses or other personal information to Mazda or any third party for that matter -- a subpoena issued by a court with the legal power and jurisdiction to do so. Thinking anything to the contrary is simply crazy talk. And luckily for any members who live in the USA, this site is hosted on servers physically located in Canada, which means that it would be very difficult for Mazda USA to legally subpoena any private information about members. We have in fact been subpoenaed (I think) two times in the past, but did not have to actually divulge any information due to the fact that this site is Canadian.

-Justin

Back