Questions for motor build/turbo

kickerchris1

:
99 Mazda Protege
Ok so I have a 99 Mazda Protege Es with 174k miles and was wondering what is the best option as far as swaps and turbos. I don't know much bout the swaps and turbos so if you guys could help me out I would really appreciate it. Now my questions are....

Get another 1.8 motor and boost it (btw car is auto)

Get the 2.0 motor and boost it

Get Klze swap and boost it

So can you guys please tell me which turbo to get/what turbo will work with my es from the msp?

What all is needed for the swaps and total price(not installed)

And what is the easiest way to go to have at least 250hp cuz this 122hp is too slow(by the way I have the Injen CAI and Obx Header.

Thanks hope to hear from you guys soon.

Also I'm not familiar with ecus like flashed/unflashed. What's the difference? How many lbs of boost to run on each motor without blowing it up?

Damn thats clean man but what would you recommend for my car? I dont want a racecar lol just something a little faster than 122hp.

So with this car, the easiest swap as far as I am concerned is to drop everything from a MSP into it and call it a day. That will not get you your goal of 250.

i do not know of anyone who ran 250 daily on a stock block (reliably without blowing up eventually)

i really like the V6 out of the MX6/probe GT. it will also not get the goal, but I have first hand experience and that has TORQUE. It moves really well and has a good redline.

there are many how to threads. It seems no more complicated as any other swap.

some wiring and mostly having to find the parts, seems to be the common issue.

Last edited:
Honestly you should do more researching before you do anything else. Just to give you an idea, forged rods and pistons for the 2.0 are gona be $1,100 alone. Plus another $1-2k for machine work. Then a real ball bearing turbo is gona run 1200-1400 depending in how big you want to go. Then the manifold will run 400-600. Ssafc is 400 plus if you can't tune it there's paying some one else. There's alot of little things I'm leaving out as well

Or you can get a 240sx shell for a few hundred then get an sr20 swap ( they run 3-6k) and call it a day with a much better platform than the protege

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it. What kind of motor is in the Msp like a fsze or what? Tweety what part of Va you in cause if your close to me maybe you can look at my car and tell me best thing to do cause 122hp is not cutting it anymore. Money isn't really a issue but where could I get the motor and auto tranny from? Like what all would I need for the Msp motor swap?

What kind of turbo would I get and I'm not familiar with the forged stuff what's that even mean and or do? I just want like at least 200hp.

And I'm def not getting rid of the Protege considering I already have $8k in it ($5k in just my SPL system) so yea.

Thanks a lot guys I appreciate it. What kind of motor is in the Msp like a fsze or what? Tweety what part of Va you in cause if your close to me maybe you can look at my car and tell me best thing to do cause 122hp is not cutting it anymore. Money isn't really a issue but where could I get the motor and auto tranny from? Like what all would I need for the Msp motor swap?

The MSP has a standard 2.0l like most 3rd generation protgs.

What kind of turbo would I get and I'm not familiar with the forged stuff what's that even mean and or do? I just want like at least 200hp.

Dude sit down for a weekend and do hours upon hours of research. If you still have questions we will explain it, but you need to understand alot more before even starting to piece stuff together. There is plenty of info here on the forum.

200 hp is fun and can be done on a stock 2.0 an be pretty reliable. If that's the route you want to go you can get a motor and trans for about 1200 used and get a used msp turbo kit for 600-800. But once you get a taste of 200 you will want more.

Ok that is the route I want to go and will prolly be the cheapest and easiest cause a 2.5 will be too much work but thanks so much guys.

If you can swap a mazdaspeed protege motor and trans. into your car. There are many mods to do. Just read alot and research what you really want to do. I am still learning more.Type and read it helps TRUST me.

alright. i dont know if the message went through or not. sometimes it happens dont know why if it happens to been posted dont mind it.
but im looking for a company thats makes performance pistons and rods for my car,which is 99/00 mazda protege 1.8 es.or even cars that are compatible. i have all the stuff i need to have the motor built but the rods and pistons everything i find is for mazdaspeed or the bp mazda.
i found out that the 323, older protege like the 90 94 i think that has the bp engine and the miata 00 plus have the same bore and stroke, but the compression would drop to low. the closest what i found was to be the miata but i am not sure about the valve clearance and cannot find the specs for that car. if anyone could help me out seriously, i would greatly aprreciate it.

Latest posts

Back