Questions about trying to remove the door trim

dealler_81686

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
I have a 2007 MS3. Last weekend I was out hunting when it was really cold. I came back to my car and opened the rear passenger door. When I did that, the rear doors trim did not go behind the drivers side door and was pushed up and broke off. I guess the cold weather had messed with the adhesive. It sucks but I had been thinking of removing them anyways. I remember seeing a post on here quite sometime ago that gave the steps to removing them without harming anything. Would it be possible to have that reposted? Thanks

Its best done in hot weather, out of luck there. I used the grip and rip method, looking back I wish I had used a hairdryer and warmed up the area first so that most of the adhesive had come off. Plan on using some goof off/goo gone after you've ripped them off, there will be sticky residue. After its off make sure you clean/wax that area so that it blends with the rest of the car.

yeah i did it when it was warm, i used a soft bad credit card to get the molding off, then just drenched the adhesive that was left on the door with goo gone, its a repetitive process, scrap some off, wipe down, spray more goo gone, scrap, wipe, spray, then when its all off use windex or some cleaner then just hit it up with some ICE wax so it blends, the lines that show up after you take them off go away after like 2 months

if you don't want to wait until summer just use a hairdryer and go slower. Or just use a heat gun on low. I used a gun in the summer and they pealed right off. CWP left a yellow mark for about 2-3 days and then disappeared.

on a warm day i got a nail underneath mine and literally just peeled them off, no hairdryer or credit card needed, took me all of 5 minutes, goo-gone on the leftover adhesive, and after a few days there was no noticeable markings or discoloration (yes, even on the black mica)

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...n-t-need-no-stinking-moldings.-.-.&highlight=

I did mine in winter, it's easier done in the summertime, but it can be done. As others have said, heat gun or hair dryer, get the adhesive nice and warm, grab an edge of the molding and pull slowly. Any adhesive residue will have to be removed. IMHO, the car looks 100x better without the molding, and I think Mazda agrees since the 2010's have no moldings.

Back