Questions about lowering

theevilm

:
'03 Mazda Protege LX
I just ordered tein s-tech springs for my '03 lx. I plan on doing the install myself with the stock struts and I forgot that I would have to get it realigned. I called my local mechanic and he said that normal realignment is $79.99. That's normal, but then he said I would need a camber kit which would bring the price up to $150. I looked up camber kits for the car and they're running under $50.... Do I need an alignment and if so, do I for sure need a camber kit?

Should i get the alignment right after the install? Or should i wait a few days for the suspension to settle in?

most likley only the fronts will need an alignment which can be done at home. wait at least 100km to let them settle.

A shop tried telling me I needed a camber kit as well. Just make sure you rotate your tires regularly and youll be A-ok.

Camber kits are maybe $25? Talked to a guy at school who did the spring only setup on his camaro, he didn't even get it aligned haha. His worked out just fine.

You HAVE to get a alignment. Or bust out $ for new tires in less than 6 months beaut 2-3 days max. You do not need camber plates or kits. I'm lower than you on springs and my alignment was adjustable no problems but needed it for sure! Be very careful doing this at home as to the stock springs will be under pressure when removing top hat. My stock springs where not bad since they where shot. But please be careful though! Good luck with it! And pics are a must!

I'll document the whole thing and I'll probably start my build thread with them! Should I drive it for a few days and then get the alignment?

That's what I did or if the shop has a warranty get the alignment same day then go bad in a couple days and recheck it. I had mine done at my work at Sears and they have a warranty so I was able to take it back in a couple of days after lower and realign it.

That's what I did or if the shop has a warranty get the alignment same day then go bad in a couple days and recheck it. I had mine done at my work at Sears and they have a warranty so I was able to take it back in a couple of days after lower and realign it.

I'll have to check about that warranty, hopefully mine has one.

^ i ran S-techs for 9 years without ever having a camber kit...while a macpherson strut design will increase negative camber as the suspension travels, the ride height with s-techs is not so low that it makes camber adjustments an absolute must...You will notice at the very end of a tire's life that the inner sections are a little lower on tread than the outer section, but the tire will be fully worn out by then anyway...

but yeah, for tire wear purposes, alignment for sure...Its a debatable topic in terms of DIY...some guys will tell you to get it aligned the second you start driving with the new suspension parts...others will say hold off as long as you need...when i did my install i waited about a month or so, with no abnormal tire problems in that waiting period...So i'd say that is a safe window, but the longer you wait the faster you'll eat up the tires...

Well with all of the studying I have to do in the near future it looks like I won't be doing the install till maybe next weekend. I will most likely have the car aligned a few days after I install the springs. Thank you everyone for your input. I'll update when more happens.

Springs came in today, I'm going to see if I have enough time to do the swap today. Anyone know how long it takes?

Depends how rusty your bolts are, when I did mine I bought end links just in case they were seized but I returned it after.

It should take a few hours regardless

Show some pics when you are done!!

I'll have to do it early Saturday morning. I think I'm going to start my build thread with the pics. Just went to advanced auto and got the compressors! I'm really anxious, I wish I had more daylight to do it today.

Be careful, man. Those compressed springs are no joke. My buddys dad worked with a guy who had a spring decompress, and took out one of his knees.

I picked up the compressor today. I'll be doing it without an impact wrench, so it'll be interesting.

Back