Questions about end links and things

Pensfan

:
'02 Mazda Protege ES
1st post on this board, but have been lurking for a while now...
I have a 2002 Protege ES, and have just ordered Racing Beat springs and Tokico HP shocks/struts. With this mild drop, will I have to be concerned with new end links, or will the stock ones work fine? (Assuming I can get them loose without cutting/damaging them)

I have really debated for the last 2 months over getting the MP3 shocks/struts from Mazda Parts South vs. the Tokico HP's. I figured the OEM parts would match up better with the springs...any thoughts? Are the HP's going to be a good match, or will they overdamp the springs?

Last question is several people on this board have stated the MP3/Racing Beat springs are stiffer than Eibach and some other aftermarket springs. I know they are about 27-30% stiffer than stock (according to Racing Beat's site). Does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge on this? Thanks!!

Pensfan said:
1st post on this board, but have been lurking for a while now...
I have a 2002 Protege ES, and have just ordered Racing Beat springs and Tokico HP shocks/struts. With this mild drop, will I have to be concerned with new end links, or will the stock ones work fine? (Assuming I can get them loose without cutting/damaging them)

I have really debated for the last 2 months over getting the MP3 shocks/struts from Mazda Parts South vs. the Tokico HP's. I figured the OEM parts would match up better with the springs...any thoughts? Are the HP's going to be a good match, or will they overdamp the springs?

Last question is several people on this board have stated the MP3/Racing Beat springs are stiffer than Eibach and some other aftermarket springs. I know they are about 27-30% stiffer than stock (according to Racing Beat's site). Does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge on this? Thanks!!

Ok, first things first. The Racing Beat springs and Tokico HP struts are the same suspension found in the MP3/MSP. So, you might actually be saving some money by not getting them from the dealership.

Next up, the end links are the same as well. You will be fine, however I have noticed that with the MP3 sway bars, the end links can bend some under hard cornering loads. Sometimes my end links appear slightly warped. I plan on getting better end links soon.

Overall, the struts and springs are decent together. I found that mine had been getting a little more jarring after 30,000 miles. I believe that my struts might have been dieing, but I'm not sure. I have since replaced them with a better set upo overall.

Have fun with the new struts and spring, they are a nice addition to the Protege.

Back