Questions about Corksport power series exhaust for p5

stivine6

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a corksport power series catback exhaust from a p5 owner, but I have the sedan which means I have to extend the tip. Does anyone know if I could do this with the corksport exhaust?

I did it with my mazdaspeed axle back but the tip is designed differently from the corksport one.

What's a realistic price for a use corksport catback? And what are you opinions on the sound?

Hey man...I see what you mean about the tip for that particular system...Theoretically anything can be done, but it would be tough to make that look right with the 4+ inches you need for the sedan...I looked at corksport at the full thing...best bet would probably be to cut and extend before the muffler, and have new hangers bent for it...but that, obviously, is a lot more work...

its $400 new...Not sure what the seller is offering...your situation not considered; i'd pay $250 to $300 if in perfect shape...or a little more if i needed something quickly, corksports own branded stuff is very high quality, and i'd rate that thing just as high quality as the Racing Beat stuff (i personally like the RB's muffler and tip more though)...its just if you pay that and have to have a shop do the extending...you'll probably approach the cost of a new one pretty quickly...

I have that exhaust on my p5, and I LOVE IT. Sounds fantastic and the quality is absolute top notch. Can't say enough good things about it. :)

It's extremely loud with no silencer and no cat, but if your actually worried about it, you can buy a silencer from them for 20$ and stick it in there, makes it MUCH lower. Personally I don't mind the noise, but for long road trips I stick the silencer in so my passengers don't get annoyed.

Hey man...I see what you mean about the tip for that particular system...Theoretically anything can be done, but it would be tough to make that look right with the 4+ inches you need for the sedan...I looked at corksport at the full thing...best bet would probably be to cut and extend before the muffler, and have new hangers bent for it...but that, obviously, is a lot more work...

its $400 new...Not sure what the seller is offering...your situation not considered; i'd pay $250 to $300 if in perfect shape...or a little more if i needed something quickly, corksports own branded stuff is very high quality, and i'd rate that thing just as high quality as the Racing Beat stuff (i personally like the RB's muffler and tip more though)...its just if you pay that and have to have a shop do the extending...you'll probably approach the cost of a new one pretty quickly...

the seller is asking less than 200 and comes with a resonator, and a silencer if i choose to install. I'm mostly just concerned about extending the tip but from the looks of pictures i see online, the only difference i see between the p5 corksport and the sedan is the length of the tip so i am really hoping that if i extend the tip it wont look weird

this is what im talking about, the tip seems shorter on the p5, but im wondering if the actual exhaust will sit further back on the sedan?

picture just a sample off p5
74517856.jpg

I have that exhaust on my p5, and I LOVE IT. Sounds fantastic and the quality is absolute top notch. Can't say enough good things about it. :)

It's extremely loud with no silencer and no cat, but if your actually worried about it, you can buy a silencer from them for 20$ and stick it in there, makes it MUCH lower. Personally I don't mind the noise, but for long road trips I stick the silencer in so my passengers don't get annoyed.

do you have a resonator on yours? And how is the drone around 120km/hr or 60miles? I know our cars sit right around 3.2k rpm at those speeds and that leads to droning with a lot of the exhaust out there

I was looking into getting one as well does anyone know if its easy to install or difficult at all?

Wait, does that picture show what you get from CS? Or is that just a pic with a mid-pipe as well? If it includes a cat-less mid-pipe for $400, that is ridiculous haha...and then its not a 'cat-back' exhaust...its everything but the exhaust manifold...I'd buy that mid pipe alone, if i could use it...but my JDM mazdaspeed header is about 10" longer than the north american stuff...so i have to run a custom mid-pipe...

Sorry though, i don't know the differences between the sedan and P5...I'm not sure if its simply the tips are changed between the two, or if hangers are in different places or something. In all honesty, i'd just email corksport about it...They may be able to get you the correct tip or something, and then you just cut the P5 one off and weld the sedan tip on...more importantly though, they'll be able to accurately clarify the differences for you...

Wait, does that picture show what you get from CS? Or is that just a pic with a mid-pipe as well? If it includes a cat-less mid-pipe for $400, that is ridiculous haha...and then its not a 'cat-back' exhaust...its everything but the exhaust manifold...I'd buy that mid pipe alone, if i could use it...but my JDM mazdaspeed header is about 10" longer than the north american stuff...so i have to run a custom mid-pipe...

Sorry though, i don't know the differences between the sedan and P5...I'm not sure if its simply the tips are changed between the two, or if hangers are in different places or something. In all honesty, i'd just email corksport about it...They may be able to get you the correct tip or something, and then you just cut the P5 one off and weld the sedan tip on...more importantly though, they'll be able to accurately clarify the differences for you...

The picture i posted was a random one just to show the tip

I;m going to have to double check with the seller to see if it was cat-less or not.. but i am pretty sure it doesnt come with a cat.. just everything after that cat, so "catback" and resonator included.

Thanks for the tip i just email corksport hopefully they will email back soon..

Also i check the corksport site and found this

"Please Note: This exhaust system can only be run with aftermarket motor mounts or motor mount inserts for warranty to remain intact. Running this exhaust with stock motor mounts will void your warranty.
"

do i really need to run the motor mounts?

The difference between the sedan and P5 exhausts is 4" of pipe between the muffler and tip. There are a lot of pics floating around from guys who have taken MSP exhausts, cut the section between the muffler and tip and put it on a P5; you would just be going the opposite direction in this case.

CS requires motor mounts because their exhausts did not originally have a flex pipe which caused them to break at the welds. With a flex pipe or factory ball and socket connection (whatever it's called) you *should* be good.... However if you want the warranty, then you need motor mounts.

The difference between the sedan and P5 exhausts is 4" of pipe between the muffler and tip. There are a lot of pics floating around from guys who have taken MSP exhausts, cut the section between the muffler and tip and put it on a P5; you would just be going the opposite direction in this case.

CS requires motor mounts because their exhausts did not originally have a flex pipe which caused them to break at the welds. With a flex pipe or factory ball and socket connection (whatever it's called) you *should* be good.... However if you want the warranty, then you need motor mounts.

I have confirmed with the seller that its a catback so comes with resonator and midpipe + muffler.

Yeah i have extended my mazdspeed axle back before but i wasnt sure with the corksport since the muffler design is different i thought it might look really weird..

Some were saying that the motor mount makes the car ride too stiff and recommended i dont install it. Should i just forget about the motor mount then? And since its a catback and not a full system up to the j-pipe does it really affect the motor mounts? Seems like a lot of trouble just for a catback and the cost would go up to install motor mounts, i thought it would be more straight forward

Also do you think it will sound too loud/drone for a N/A? I'm getting mixed answers from people when i do a search. It does have a resonator though if that makes a big difference

Last edited:
do you have a resonator on yours? And how is the drone around 120km/hr or 60miles? I know our cars sit right around 3.2k rpm at those speeds and that leads to droning with a lot of the exhaust out there

I wouldn't say it drones at 60, a bit past 70 and it usually starts what I would consider droning in 5th gear. No resonator.

I have it on my P5 and it drones like you would not believe above 60mph and I don't have the silencer.

You guys think with a resonator it will drone just as bad? I don't think I'll put on the silencer

I bought the DP Back (Single Pipe with the two hangers) and used it to simplify the fabrication of my exhaust system,
I found it to be very high in quality, plus it is apparent that there was consideration in regards to performance.

Things like the Hanger Arms being hollow would surely reduce the overall weight of the parts.

The welds are really good.

You can see the section I used directly after the DP.

April262012-1.jpg

I bought the DP Back (Single Pipe with the two hangers) and used it to simplify the fabrication of my exhaust system,
I found it to be very high in quality, plus it is apparent that there was consideration in regards to performance.

Things like the Hanger Arms being hollow would surely reduce the overall weight of the parts.

The welds are really good.

You can see the section I used directly after the DP.

April262012-1.jpg

Does that mean you eliminated the second cat? Looks really good quality indeed

I eliminated anything that would offer resistance to flow.

I do not recommend doing that unless you have some specific need, It complicates "The Pleasure Of Owning and Registering A Car"

I do not recommend doing that unless you have some specific need, It complicates "The Pleasure Of Owning and Registering A Car"

Ahh okay that's not really an option for me then I don't want to do anything to mess with emissions and a catback would meet that requirement.

I can't seem to find an answer for this.. With just a catback, do I still need to install different motor mounts? I was hoping for a straight bolt on and calling it a day

Wouldn't having no second cat cause u to fail emissions testing in Toronto ?

Ahh okay that's not really an option for me then I don't want to do anything to mess with emissions and a catback would meet that requirement.

I can't seem to find an answer for this.. With just a catback, do I still need to install different motor mounts? I was hoping for a straight bolt on and calling it a day

They are saying you need stiffer engine mounts because it doesn't have a flex pipe...Thats always been a weird area for these cars...From the factory a 3rd gen 2.0L comes with some of the softest engine mounts i've come across...and not one has a factory flex pipe that i'm aware of...so lots of engine movement without a flex pipe is something you generally don't come across...but whatever...

however, they do have that cup joint at the downpipe to midpipe connection...with spring bolts...those do allow some flex, but most in the form of articulation...not forward and back...if that makes sense...

so its your call...I've been running the stiff AWR front/rear mounts for years with my header for this exact reason...and no problem so far, but i'm finally getting around to building another midpipe...of the proper ID...and i'll definitely just weld in a short flex pipe to take a little more stress off the header and rest of the exhaust...

I guess i didn't really answer your question...If you're on bone stock mounts...i'd at least pick up some inserts...you can get a full set from CS or AWR for pretty cheap...thats probably all you'd need, as long as you keep the stock cup joint...

Also...from looking at the site pics more...I'm pretty sure that definitely is a full system that replaces the stock mid-pipe...so you will lose the 2nd cat if you use the whole system, like others are saying...

but, you could easily keep using your stock mid-pipe w/ catalyst...or swap them out for emissions testing...

Also...from looking at the site pics more...I'm pretty sure that definitely is a full system that replaces the stock mid-pipe...so you will lose the 2nd cat if you use the whole system, like others are saying...

but, you could easily keep using your stock mid-pipe w/ catalyst...or swap them out for emissions testing...

Yeah dam i got to rethink if I want the exhaust then.. Do I need to take out the motor mounts to put in the inserts?

And I think the one in the picture is different the one I'm getting comes with midpipe with resonator, and the axle back. So I will be using my own cat

Last edited:
Back