Question of autosport shifting

TuRbOtEcTicS

:
Mazda3
when you go to manual mode with the sport shift, is it okay to release the gas pedal and then shift or is it safer to just keep your foot on the gas and just shift? What i do is release the gas pedal and then shift because it gives if a better sound. am i damaging the car in any way but doing that?

Don't release the gas pedal, just shift, when i was test driving the car i would let go of the gas pedal (force of habit fromy stickshift) and the dealer would freak on me, he told me it's actually worst for the car, don't have concrete evidence to prove this to u though.

actually i do the release thing too...habit from previous 5spd and I dont see how it would be bad for it....

yea but the muffler sounds alot beter taking it off than just pressing it. Now i regret listening to my mom on buying auto. I should have bought the stick shift instead!

well the wife explains this to me the other day when i was wishing I hadnt listen to her and got a stick...she says in a few years when the car is paid off I can give it to her and go buy a new one.....hmmm......mazdaspeed3 should be out then right?

canada3 said:
well the wife explains this to me the other day when i was wishing I hadnt listen to her and got a stick...she says in a few years when the car is paid off I can give it to her and go buy a new one.....hmmm......mazdaspeed3 should be out then right?
how does your exhaust sound when u shift in manual mode?

To the floor baby

TuRbOtEcTicS said:
when you go to manual mode with the sport shift, is it okay to release the gas pedal and then shift or is it safer to just keep your foot on the gas and just shift? What i do is release the gas pedal and then shift because it gives if a better sound. am i damaging the car in any way but doing that?
Look, I know I'm about to take alot of crap for driving a manusuck but after 4 months of driving this thing I think I finally got the hang of it.

To answer your question, I DO NOT lift from the throttle. I actually step on it as I am shifting (down of course). I get a faster response from the tranny. I really don't factor in the "sound" of my car into my shifting, I just want to go faster. The bottom line is that the car is warranteed, if it breaks (which if it is I want it to do it sooner rather than later) then take it back and they will fix it.

One other side note...I drove on the highway from Pa to Mass and the torque is very friendly around 85-95 mph. Shifting to 3rd will surprise you....

Tim :flip:

?????

well it sounds really "crappy" if i dont release the gas pedal. but how does it damage the car just releasing the gas pedal when shifting?

TuRbOtEcTicS said:
well it sounds really "crappy" if i dont release the gas pedal. but how does it damage the car just releasing the gas pedal when shifting?

Just off the top of my head, I'd say it creates backlash in the drivetrain (which will cause excessive wear) and will actually make you slow down because of engine braking.

I'm sure there are more issues (fluid pressures, gear engagements, etc) but I've never driven one of the autosticks, so I can't say for sure.

SOOooo

goldwing2000 said:
Just off the top of my head, I'd say it creates backlash in the drivetrain (which will cause excessive wear) and will actually make you slow down because of engine braking.

I'm sure there are more issues (fluid pressures, gear engagements, etc) but I've never driven one of the autosticks, so I can't say for sure.

GW, then it is YOUR BELIEF that keeping the pedal down as you up shift is OK, cause I do it all the time. I will occ. down shift (4th to 3rd) to pass and punch it as I shift, it takes some getting use to, timing etc. but seems to work rather well. When I downshift and use the tranny to brake I let off the gas and that works good too. I guess I drive it like I stole it. I DO wish I hadn't listen to the old lady though...hench the CAI. LOL

Loose said:
GW, then it is YOUR BELIEF that keeping the pedal down as you up shift is OK, cause I do it all the time.

Exactly. I can't say that I'm 100% positive but based on my knowledge of automatic transmissions in general, the transmission responds better and lasts longer with a steady foot on the gas pedal. By lifting your foot, you are decreasing engine RPM, thereby decreasing transmission pump RPM, thereby decreasing line pressure, thereby decreasing the force available to engage and hold the gear, thereby increasing the chance for slippage and increased wear on the bands and clutches (that's bad).

Of course... these may be special transmissions that don't follow normal, accepted methods of power application (dunno) but I just looked through the owner's manual and dind't find anything to indicate that is was an abnormal trans.

Anybody else feel free to jump in here.

remember the auto tranny is an auto tranny...it heats up faster than normal non shiftable. I had the same tendency to to the same....think of it as if you going from drive neutral drive when you let off and then back cause remember this is a automatic so it isn't shifting as fast as you may think. manual mode and auto mode are difrent I agree...you want a smooth shift...so keep the same presure on the gas when shifting and you will notice the pull still...jerk feels fun(no pun intended p-verts) but isn't good to do all the time...

how about i slow down alittle and then shift? like i go all the way to 4000rpms and then shift to 2nd gear at 3500rpms. would that be okay?

Back