question for all you audiophiles

Bret2002

im doing the install on my own system. im running two 10'' kicker subs with an 800watt amp and was wondering if the gauge difference and all that really matters because ive heard that it doesnt really make a difference in the performance of the subs. something about the power loss being extremely minimal in the differences of gauges of wires? i dont really feel like shelling out 80 bucks for a wiring kit when a 35 dollar one will do. is this statement true?

what wires are ya talking about? the speaker wire or the power and ground?
just in case: small ground = amp cutting out and not working
small power = melting the wire if you play it too long too loud
small speaker wire = same as the power wire.

im refering to the power and grounding wires. i was thinking about these ( numbered links on the bottom) but just dont know that much about the subject any help is appreciated. i have been trying to research on caraudio.com but alot of that is over my head.

1. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142PA10/EFX-10-gauge-Amplifier-Wiring-Kit.html?search=wiring+kits

2. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142PA8/EFX-8-gauge-Amplifier-Wiring-Kit.html?search=wiring+kits

the subs are already wired to the amp, the amp just needs power

yeah i understand the whole you get what you pay for addage but if there is no problem running a smaller gauge then why not? is there really that huge of a difference in the surrent from 8 gauge and 10 gauge? or are they both to small. specifics would help. im in college trying to save me some money

also this is just for a very basic setup and will not be using the subs very heavily. just on those occasions when i feel like listening and bumping some rap. not a huge bass guy, just i had to good of a deal to pass up

Last edited:
so would 8 gauge be okay to use? i guess my question is there any danger of fire or damaginf the sub woofers or amp. i dont mind if it limits the performance some

well i just found this 4 gauge kit. im not sure if its from the most amazing brand but its 4 gauge and im just going to go with that. 4 gauge should be more than good it says its good up 1500 watts and since im only pushing 800 im going to go with that. i appreciate the help!

800 watts? i wouldn't go smaller than 4GA,

on my car i had a 4GA to a distribution block then 8GA to my amps (360W RMS, 400W RMS, and a 200W RMS)

for 800 watts RMS I would go with 4g wire.
If its 800 watts peak, that number is meaningless and should be completely discarded. RMS watts is what matters.

the ability of the wire decreases as its length increases. I'm going to assume the amp is in the trunk and your battery is in the engine bay. So with the wire being the length of your car, I would defiantly recommend 4g wire. As 8g wire WILL blow fuses, not burn.

Having said that, MAKE SURE YOU USE A FUSE as close to the battery terminal as possible. This will prevent the wire from catching on fire in case there is a burst of electrical current for some reason. The rule of thumb is 6 inches from the battery terminal there should be a fuse.

Crutchfield is extremely over priced. However, they offer great customer service, which is good when buying things that you want to try out and arnt sure you want to keep. But you don't need this extra piece of mind for wire...

A better, as well as cheaper alternative is:
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Power Wire

The flex kable is extremely flexible. If you plan on having to make any sharp turns in your wiring, I'd go with this @ $1.40

But the KLM is a bit cheaper and of the same quality. Its just not as flexible. @ $0.89 its well worth it.
If you do opt for the KLM, I would get a small amount of flex kable for the battery terminal -to- fuse line. As you might have trouble mounting the fuse holder. then run the rest of the 25 feet or so with klm. (fuse to amp).

And you can search around for people selling wire. 4g is pretty easy to find, and a lot of people sell it when they decide to upgrade and need 1/0g.

Use the same gauge wire for the ground as the power. NEVER go smaller!

knukoncepts is good.

i got my kicker 4 gauge dual amp wiring kit off of amazon for 45 bucks. (not like that any more)

gotta watch amazon though, ive heard them screw things up before.

i say bigger is better. (4 gauge is sooooooo much bigger than 8)

just put the proper fuse in, and all will be good. if you go big now, and decide to add more later, you wont have to upgrade the power wires again.

yeah im going 4 gauge. i appreciate it as the electrical side of things is not my forte. i appreciate the quality information

yeah im going 4 gauge. i appreciate it as the electrical side of things is not my forte. i appreciate the quality information

If you want, I'm currently upgrading my system.

I have all the 4g wire you need as well as a fuse/fuse holder, etc. I got the knu 4g kit so you'll get everything that came with that. PM me if your interested

Back