question about the exhaust

nadzi

hello people i have a question in regards to the exhaust system on my mazda protege 5, i recently bought a header as the front end of my exhaust was rotting so i bought the header and that is all one piece leading right down to the down pipe. now the question i have is DOES the protege 5 infact have 2 catilytic converter or just one?. and if so if i replace the first cat and down pipe with the header would i be ok with just one Cat or does anyone think i will have issues with just 1? i can include pictures if anyone wants to see please respond anyone help!

The big round section that the header feeds into is the first cat (there are two on the P5). You can run with just one unless you live somewhere that they do a visual inspection (california). Normally you can pass a sniffer test with just one cat.

^ exactly what he said. As long as you have the second cat (if your state or county requires emissions tests) you will be fine. If you're in Cali, you kinda ****** yourself with a header... Lol

hmm ok well i live in canada i dont think that they do visual inspection here. however i was also wondering about the O2 sensors... there are 2 of them a pre and post before and after the first cat. with the new header that looks like this.
http://www.tuningdepot.com/ebay/images/h2020.jpg
and the old one that looks like this.
http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/v/vspfiles/photos/5416805.gif
will this cause a problem with the check engine light because it isnt getting a proper reading between the 2 sensors. someone told me that it could cause that issue... just looking for some clarification....? im sorry if im being a pain i just want to know before i go and put it in and find out im just wasting my time...

This will cure the problem of the Check engine light for taking out the first Cat. Some people have to take it out and clean it every once in a while, but others never have any issues with it. Just disconnect the battery cable before before you do the header swap.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123634664-How-to-cure-Cel-Mil-from-removing-cat-with-Non-Fouler

Here is a good write up on installing the header itself: (the pics don't work anymore but it explains it pretty well)
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?65746-How-To-2.0-Header-Installation&highlight=header+2.0+how+to

Getting the old one out without breaking things and attaching the EGR to the new one gave me the most trouble. If you just put in the header bolts a little bit then attach the EGR tube before you tighten the header down all the way, it will help you out a lot. Also, you will want to clean off your header with some soap before you start your car so you don't burn in any discoloration from the oil from your skin.

Hope this helps man!

Last edited:
nonfouler.jpg

soo i have a rather big problem so ive put the new header on everything is great except for one thing i cut, the pipe in the picture above that the yellow arrow is pointing at. i could not bend that pipe for the life of mine so i cut it and its in 4 pieces now... i need help anything is appreciated. i should explain why i cut it... so the tube would not bend at all so i was instructed t cut the tube then to install an air tube kit where the replacement tube for what ive just cut is flexible apparently its made of silicone... i didnt really notice at first but the car is running like crap now and that stupid tube is melting....

Whoever told you to cut that pipe is an idiot that's the egr pipe. And silicone won't hold up to a few hundreded degrees either so that's why its melting. So now you get to buy a new egr pipe. I would say try a junk yard. They are a pain to hook up but try taking a butane torch and heating it up some itl help it flem a little bit

Go and get a gas line from Lowe's or Home Depot. It should fit perfectly. Guys who run Probe headers use them because the EGR doesn't line up at all. I'll try to post up the link if I can find it...

Edit: last pic in the first post. Buy that, install it, you're good to go!

Last edited:
lol you think that header looks bad in that picture you should see it now but staneless steel meets water and high heat its going to change in appearance sooner or later. easy way to get the egr line hooked up is to hook it up befor you completly bolt down the header.

so i ended up geting the tube to fit after working the s*** out of it into place and it seems to be doing ok however i am getting alot of vibration throughout the car.... not really sure where its coming from but its pretty annoying. after all this work im debating on going back to a new stock manifold with cat.... lol fml

i would say you have a torn motor mount a header isnt going to make it vibrate more itl just make it louder and have a lil more power

Vibration can result from any part of the exhaust system touching the floor or other unibody segments.
I've had the problem intermittently with my 4-2-1 header, single cat, Magnaflow CB, and resonator
between CB and cat.

When any vibration or rattle reappears, I rack the car and hand-test the system header to tips for
lateral/vertical movement. Make sure no part of the system is rubbing against any other part of
the body.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back