Question about lightened flywheel en new clutch on our cars

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 03
I was wondering if switching to a lightened flywheel like a fidanza and a different clutch would yield any performance gain? In other cars, these mods would make the car accelerate faster but I've heard mixed feelings for these in our cars? How come are cars are so different or will they add some speed to our car?

I just installed a Spec 3 hybrid and a Fidanza flywheel and it revs like a mofo....

so i've heard that it's impossible and unbearable to drive, but rather it's something you'll get used to...it's a tad annoying in stop and go traffic....

as far as people saying that your car will become a high reving car at all times isn't true....i can cruise below 4 grand easily....

the clutch feels like stock but grabs much harder....
the flywheel is far from stock, as it revs much faster, but drops quickly too....took me a couple tries to finally get it right...very happy

with a lighter flywheel, the motor will rev up faster, but will require more revs to start, it won't really give u much performance, the clutch will lower the amount of power lost through the tranny, much better choice

In any car a lightened flywheel simply translates to less rotating mass. I'm not sure but I believe this will change torque characteristics as less energy will be required to increase rpm. Also, the engine should decrease rpm off throttle for the same reasons.

Lightened flywheel should result in better throttle response. IIRC a lightened flywheel is not commonly used in f/i, but I'm not sure. I'm sure there will be more posts

Anyone else have input on my question? I mean , if it revs quicker, that translates to faster acceleration right?

I dropped over a tenth with the flywheel. However I still dislike it.

so when it requires more revs to start, how high do you take it up to now as opposed to before?

is daily driving just more annoying or something?

When your driving it you have to drive it like you never drove a stick before. Also don't expect anymore good 60' times either.

BlkZoom,
Please elaborate more on your dislike of the lightened flywheel. If I remember correctly, you're also using fidanza. I'm thinking about doing the flywheel w/ my first clutch soon. So I suppose I'm in the market. Any help/feedback is greatly appreciated.

less rotating mass on the crank is a very good thing. however a lightened flywheel makes it harder to drive smoothly especially when not racing

PharmacyMSP said:
BlkZoom,
Please elaborate more on your dislike of the lightened flywheel. If I remember correctly, you're also using fidanza. I'm thinking about doing the flywheel w/ my first clutch soon. So I suppose I'm in the market. Any help/feedback is greatly appreciated.

It feels more on /off if you know what I mean. There isn'r as much slip as with the stock flywheel. Which sucks for drag racing. However I am keeping it in because it makes up for it on the topend.

Lightened flywheels usually "give increases" (they don't "give" anything; just free up what you already had) in the 1st and 2nd gears. I've heard very little about lightened wheels affecting high-RPM acceleration.

Dimitrios said:
Lightened flywheels usually "give increases" (they don't "give" anything; just free up what you already had) in the 1st and 2nd gears. I've heard very little about lightened wheels affecting high-RPM acceleration.

then explain to me how I got around .15 worse 60' times but dropped my et's by around .2?

Back when I had a VW there was a lot of debate about flywheels. The driveability issues (touchiness of the clutch, need to rev more to get moving, etc) were attributed to exactly how light of a flywheel you went with.

Many racing flywheels weigh only 4-5 pounds, some even less. Compare that to most cars stock flywheel in the range of 20 pounds and you can get an idea why the engine may be a little touchy. The Fidanza flywheel weighs just over 9 pounds, so it's not excessively light, and should be a decent balance between performance benefit and driveability.

at least that what I'm telling myself to justify buying one... :)

NOTE: There has also been a lot of argument about having your existing flywheel lightened (excess weight and material shaved off). This is less expensive than a full replacement, but unless it does done in a perfectly balanced manner, may cause more damage to the motor bearings down the road.

anyway, I hope this was helpful.

i would get a nice clutch, have your LSD welded while your in there and use the cash u would have spent on the flywheel on something that will give you way better results and not cause driveability issues. You dont have your mods listed, so i cant make any particular suggestions.

I dont know I had the same flywheel in my old car and it was one of the things I missed the most about it. I never had any driving issues with it and love how the thing revved up so quickly. I read a right up on one of the forums on flywheels on the pros and cons. I'll see if I can find it but imo, I didnt have any cons with it and if I could have taken it out of my old car and put it in my msp I would have. But maybe someone will get lucky at the junkyard and get my flywheel. Something else to look into is just lighten the stock flywheel when you have a clutch installed. It has to be resurfaced anyways, so might as well take some weight off the heavy bastard....

I have the spec 3 hybrid clutch and the spec flywheel but I have not installed it yet, the flywheel is only 8.5lbs should be an interesting drive in traffic for sure lol

Back