Question about Ipod port in 08.5 Speed3?

Peter B

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
So I was curious if there are any MP3 players out there OTHER than the Ipod that can plug into the jack and work with the MS3 control system. I am guessing that ipod has a proprietary system, but on the offchance that it is universal I thought I would ask. I know there are often knock-offs of ipods on ebay. Same case, same controls, same colors, minus the mac symbol, slightly different firmware. Some of these are actually nicer then ipods, but i wonder if they will work with the ipod jack in my car

I would get an ipod but the cost of the cable to connect it is outright retarded... that and I just hate ipods.

Please, I dont want to hear about how great the ipod is and how I should just get one. Not gonna happen. That is a discussion for another time. All I will say is every time you buy an ipod steve jobs eats a baby. I dont really like babies, but i dis-like steve jobs even more.

-Pete

Last edited:
Is there a place you can connect it that it controls your Ipod? I know I just have aux input and can't control my ipod from the car. I still have to controll it on th eipod.

AUX jack, you can use any MP3 player. The ipod specific hook up is dif and uses the satellite radio connection on the back of the head unit, that is $125+

Is there another way to hook up the Ipod if you already have the SAT hooked up (other than the AUX cord)??

I was completely under the impression that the aux jack in the car was the ipod port. That was what the dealer indicated when i test drove it. I did not realize that the ipod connection was an extra install.

does anyone have it? Where do the run the cord to?

-Pete

Well, in order to connect to the aux jack, all you need is an aux cable, which you can get at walmart for like $5. However, if you can't controll the Ipod from the car's buttons. You'll have to use the ipod to change/select songs.

If you want to control the Ipod's functions with the car's buttons, then you'll need to get a special adapter that connects to the back of the radio and is hooked to the "SAT" button. Usually this is used for Satellite radio, but can be used for IPod.

It's just another depressing sign of apple taking over the world that a generic 3.5mm stereo port is referred to by everyone as an "ipod port". So to reiterate what others have said:

-the stock input (called the ACI, Auxiliary Console Input by Mazda) is a 3.5mm input usable by anything which has or which can be converted to a 3.5mm output. It's located in the armrest console next to the spare 12v DC plug. It's standard on all '07+ US Mz3's (not sure about other countries)

-'07-'08 models have an available switchbox (~$113) which allows you to plug in both sirius and the ACI as they both utilize the same port.

-'04-'08 models have an available ipod integration module which plugs directly into the sirius port on the back of the HU.

-'08.5 models have an available ipod integration module which connects to the sirius port via an adapter cable which comes either with a sirius port or without.... same price so why not get the sirius one. The sirius unit for '08.5 models is different so the switchbox is not needed for them.

I had been wondering about getting the ipod specific box but was told it wouldn't work on Mazdaspeed 3's with the GT Bose package.

I was given a iPod adapter which was removed off of a Mazdaspeed 6. Will this work on both my car and the CX-7 my gf has? We haven't attempted the install yet.

I was also told the kit he gave me will not allow you to see the songs on your ipod, so you just have access to click "Next" on a playlist, otherwise you can't physically view the songs on the small screen.

I seen this is pretty neat! http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merc..._Code=i-Mazda-R&Category_Code=DICE_IPOD_MAZDA

Last edited:
I had been wondering about getting the ipod specific box but was told it wouldn't work on Mazdaspeed 3's with the GT Bose package.

Complete BS, the ipod adapter works with both the bose and standard stereos. There is a year model difference for the ipod adaptors however. There's one for '04-'08 and a different one for '08.5. The '08.5 models have a different connector on the HU so older model ipod adapters will not work properly with the newer HU's.

I was given a iPod adapter which was removed off of a Mazdaspeed 6. Will this work on both my car and the CX-7 my gf has? We haven't attempted the install yet.

I'm not positive but I'm nearly completely sure that the ipod adapters are not cross-compatible between different models.

I was also told the kit he gave me will not allow you to see the songs on your ipod, so you just have access to click "Next" on a playlist, otherwise you can't physically view the songs on the small screen.

Correct, the OEM ipod module does not display any info. on the HU, and it locks out the screen on the ipod.

The dice module is one of many aftermarket ipod integration modules. Check out my list in the audio input thread stickied in this forum. The down side is that currently only the OEM one works with the '08.5 model.

Thanks for your quick quick response! I'm going to attempt to install that ipod connection my girl's CX-7 soon. Hopefully it works, if not, then i'll try to sell it heh.

I guess I could contact Dice and be a test car for them right? It seems like a really promising setup, especially with the potentially quick scrolling option.

Sure do. I'm looking for a better way to connect ipod's up with both cars. Technically, the MS3 is the one that's significant with the 08.5 transition. The CX-7 shouldn't be an issue with it being 08 or 08.5. (We just got it mid year).

Sure do. I'm looking for a better way to connect ipod's up with both cars. Technically, the MS3 is the one that's significant with the 08.5 transition. The CX-7 shouldn't be an issue with it being 08 or 08.5. (We just got it mid year).

You can always check out the harman kardon drive and play. It's a separate screen and controller so no steering wheel controls, but you can place the screen and controller wherever is convenient for you and it can still be right at your fingertips. Also the screen/controls are the same as the ipod's screen so it's super intuitive. Last of all you can run the audio through the ACI (console input) for good sound. Several members have gotten super involved, disassembled the screen and mounted it in the lower part of the HU where it says "multi function audio system" so it's very slick.

Well, the only extra screen i'm really interested in having on my car is either a Dashhawk or an OEM Navi setup.

That'd be a really convenient place to install anything (multi function area) because it's just empty right?

Well, the only extra screen i'm really interested in having on my car is either a Dashhawk or an OEM Navi setup.

That'd be a really convenient place to install anything (multi function area) because it's just empty right?

Agreed, I'm not a big fan of extra stuff in the car, however how can you say this doesn't look good?

DSCF1371.jpg

Especially if you replace the LEDs so that the normally white screen is red.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x88/ApatheticFrimbo/drive and play/IMG_0079.jpg (I had it as an inserted image but it kept making it insanely huge..... oh and the pink is the camera, he says it's more red than the stock display in person)

And yes the area behind that is empty.

I plugged my mp3 player into the aux port (on my 2008.5 ms3 gt) and it played fine, but the manual says you can't charge it using the spare 12v at the same time as playing. Why is that? I tried doing it and the car's audio system refused to play.

Back