Question about how the AWD system actually functions

No CVTs in my garage, no way. I drove a CVT current gen Prius in Canada for hundreds of miles, that was enough.

now hopefully someone will find a way to force the awd to activate so we can patch a switch in somewhere with a couple wires to turn teh awd on when we're in a situation where its slipery when we're starting out (like in a snow laden or muddy driveway, of which mine can be either) rather than waiting for wheels to slip and then system to kick in

now hopefully someone will find a way to force the awd to activate so we can patch a switch in somewhere with a couple wires to turn teh awd on when we're in a situation where its slipery when we're starting out (like in a snow laden or muddy driveway, of which mine can be either) rather than waiting for wheels to slip and then system to kick in

I agree this would be handy, i was doing a bit of research in the workshop manual and found out that the computer system controlling the two stage electric activated clutch in the rear differential that directs torque to the rear wheels has at least 15 different input signals from various sources all working in various combinations to maximize traction but also avoid damage, so the manual says. Interestingly one of the input signals to engage the rear differential is the windscreen wiper switch, for obvious reasons. I wonder if something as simple as turning on the wipers in slippery conditions even if it's not raining would send more torque to the rear wheels? It doesn't rain much here so i haven,t tried it yet. The system is very complicated and designed to protect itself from damage when asked to do something it wasn't deigned to do so i would be very cautious about customising

Crazy thread revival.

There isn't any way to lock the LSD. At least, not by any means that aren't mechanical.

I presume it is a similar system to what Mazda has used on the Speed 6 and CX-7. Sensor and data input into the ECU allows the ECU to regulate voltage to a solenoid on an electromagnetic clutch pack which links the driveshaft to the rear diff, then allowing the slip clutch LSD to do its thing with traction variances between rear wheels.

would be nice to have the option. My other vehicle is a honda ridgeline and there is a button on the dash to lock the rear diff in exactly this manner. I used it only once so far, when the wife was driving up the driveway (ours is VERY steep) in some bad weather and managed to get it almost sideways into the lawn.

Back